cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight on front axle

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 100 miles RT to a cat scale and a local Van & Storage has a scale, the problem i'm finding is I asked if they were able to weigh the front axle and they said yes , just put your front on the scale. Will that be accurate? Cat scales have seprate scales that weigh each axle, you don't see them as there under the whole scale.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)
12 REPLIES 12

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will have to check out the ones around here. Would be a very convenient way to check weight. Good tip!!

Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

Bedlam
Most of the WA and OR scales are left turned on even when unattended. This is when I pull in to check weights, redistribute items I am carrying and adjust my weight distribution hitch.

Here is my last weigh in for truck, truck camper and hitch weight from enclosed trailer:

GVW -

RAW -

FAW -

The trailer was loaded at about 6000 lbs for this trip and I did not not take photos of its weight or my GCW around 22k lbs.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I do this often at closed weigh stations with good results. Remember than many scales round to the nearest 20 lbs, so individual axle weights may not exactly add up to the entire vehicle weight (should be within 20 lbs).

So I understand correctly, you are talking about the weigh stations I see along the Interstates for weighing commercial vehicles? Are those always turned on and we can drive onto them to see our weights?
In our area we see more closed scales than open ones.

Thanks,
Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
That's one of the questions I had, how far do you pull onto the scale to weigh the front end correctly? JIMNLIN says all the way till the rear wheels are just about to go on the scale, I was thinking till you were just before the COG was on the scale or it doesn't matter? How far?

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
When I had mine weighed at a certified scale several years ago, they weighed the front axle then the whole rig and then just the rear axle.
There was only a 20lb discrepancy between the scales whole rig weight and adding the weight of the front and rear axles together. Pretty close for a rig that weighed 11,000lbs.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My small town grain elevator has a feed mill and platform scale. The scale is open 24/7 and costs nothing to weigh. As the CAT scale their good for +/- 20 lb.
I drive the truck up on the scale till the drivers are just about to roll on the scale for front axle load. Then pull on the scale for a gross weight if you need one.
Then pull forward till the front tires are just off the scale for a rear axle load.

I wouldn't weigh on a windy day especially with a high body vehicle like a TC or 5th wheel trailer or a enclosed trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Do the gross 1st than pull the front axle just off the scale and do the rear axle.
Or, if they will cooperate, do the front, then the gross, then pull the front off and do the rear.
Then add the front and the rear and see if they total the gross.

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the weights will be accurate as long as you are not sloped front to back. That could cause a small weight shift.

Some state scales still use an axle scale for semis, and weigh one axle at a time, so I would feel comfortable with the weights.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, that's good news.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
close enough
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
The county dump where I live will do front and rear independently upon request and then I will get printout for the purposes of charging for the weight of the refuse. The F & R have always added up exactly to the total.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Bedlam
I do this often at closed weigh stations with good results. Remember than many scales round to the nearest 20 lbs, so individual axle weights may not exactly add up to the entire vehicle weight (should be within 20 lbs).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD