cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weight Question

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
OK, don't kill me out here with this one. Truck has a 9600 tow rating (2013 5.3 Silverado). Trailer weighs 7550 dry. Add another 1000 for cargo (That number is a little high but better more than less) so I am up to 8550. Add another 450 for the family so total will be 9000 lbs. This is a one time trip with a friends TT before mine is ready from the dealer that weighs less (around 7000 loaded). Pushing the line to far? Looking at doing about 2000 miles over a 8 day trip. This is going to be mostly flat driving no mountain hills on this trip. OK FIRE AWAY!
23 REPLIES 23

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm with the group that suggest it could be done for a short trip, but what you have planned will stress everything including you the driver. You will be beat at the end of each day and as a result won't enjoy the trip.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Good luck! The truck in real world is only good for towing aroung 7500 pounds IMHO.

Why is it that many think a gasser is only good for 80%n of capacity's??

It's all about the word "only".

I don't fault folks for maxing out.

Neither do I fault folks who say that using the 80% "rule" makes for more relaxed towing when the TV is not on the edge of doing everything it can do. The 80% rule gives you a little extra slop that makes everything go a little easier: accelerating, climbing, passing, crusing, decelerating, handling...

If you do lots and lots of towing, you should think more about the 80% rule. If you tow for a smaller % of the time, then most folks are going to want a slightly smaller TV that saves on gas when they are not towing, and 'do a little bit more work' and/or go slower when they are towing.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ agreed.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem with towing limits is they do not reflect real world towing and this is what gave rise to the so called "80%" rule (and no, it is not a "Rule"). That theoretical 10K tow limit is the most (as determined by the engineers/experts that built the TV), you can safely tow. That does not mean you can tow a travel trailer that weighs 10K. The windage of a 10K TT vs a boat or flat bed trailer imparts far more load and stress on the TV.

The second issue is that for the vast majority of TT's you will exceed the TV's GVWR/payload long before you even get close to the max tow rating. This is particularly true of half ton TV's. My F-150 SCab is rated to tow 8,600# which would generate over 1100# of Tongue weight which would exceed the hitch's 1,000# limit. The truck has 1426# of payload which is about average for half ton trucks. Take 100# off for the WDH and you would be left with a paltry 226# of payload for passengers and gear. I have a Leer shell so there goes another 200# lost to available payload.

Despite being 4,000# under my TV's rated tow capacity (and 3,500# under the GCWR... but I digress), with the truck and trailer normally loaded for camping I only have a couple of hundred pounds of remaining payload: 22' TT = 4600# (this weight reflects 1,000# loaded into the TT) :

TW = 600#, WDH = 100#, Leer = 200#, my bride, da pooch and I, = 380#. It doesn't take much gear in the back of the truck to consume the remaining 146# of payload. If you are towing anywhere near your max tow capacity chances are good that you are over your TV's max payload/GVWR and that is a number you should never exceed. As always... Opinions and YMMV. :C

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg hit the nail on the head.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Good luck! The truck in real world is only good for towing aroung 7500 pounds IMHO.
.......Why is it that many think a gasser is only good for 80%n of capacity's??.............

Because, IMHO, some folks have a pre-conceived but erroneous notion or heard something from their father about only being safe at 80% load. If the TV mfgr. states the tow limit is 10k, then I believe you can tow up to 10k. I believe the mfgr's lawyers set limits lower than their engineers to minimize liability exposure. On the other hand, you have to look at other numbers such as your actual tongue weight to ensure your receiver hitch is adequate.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

azwildcat99
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same truck,diff. tranny (2007 MY), towing our current TT (about 7500lbs loaded). Power was okay, but the stability just wasn't there for me, even with the equalizer WD hitch setup. I wouldn't want to do it for 2k miles.
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 4X4 D/A
2012 Heartland Prowler 27P BHS
Honda EU2000i

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
Think outside the box...

Do you have a good friend with a 2500/3500 truck that would "swap" with you for a few weeks?
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't do it. My 2012 Silverado 1500 felt overloaded at 7,000 pounds and I had the same ratings as you do. It will have enough power, although you will spend a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd gears. The complaint will be the poor stability resulting from a lot of weight on the rear axle.

kirklandsc
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
BubbaK wrote:
OK, don't kill me out here with this one. Truck has a 9600 tow rating (2013 5.3 Silverado). Trailer weighs 7550 dry. Add another 1000 for cargo (That number is a little high but better more than less) so I am up to 8550. Add another 450 for the family so total will be 9000 lbs. This is a one time trip with a friends TT before mine is ready from the dealer that weighs less (around 7000 loaded). Pushing the line to far? Looking at doing about 2000 miles over a 8 day trip. This is going to be mostly flat driving no mountain hills on this trip. OK FIRE AWAY!

1000 pounds of extra weight/camping gear is an underestimate for a week long trip. I bet you'll be closer to 9000 pounds loaded. That means tongue weight over 1100 pounds with 900 or so on the truck's axles. So I see a couple problems, 1100 pounds on a receiver that probably is not rated for that and payload which needs to handle at least 450 pounds of family (plus you?) and 900 pounds of TW and whatever you put in the truck bed.

I predict you'll be over trucks's GVWR, GCWR, rear axle rating, and receiver rating. That's not something I'd do with a less than 1 year old $30k+ truck.

My thoughts exactly. The truck will probably do it. Is it safe? Depends on your defenition of safe. It may stress your truck to the point that when you start towing your TT that something will break. If it was 200 miles might not be that bad, but I think 2000 miles at or above your limit may cause some problems in the long run.
2013 Keystone Bullet Premier 31 BHPR
2013 Ford F-250 Supercrew 4x4 6.2L gasser (10,000GVWR)

APT
Explorer
Explorer
BubbaK wrote:

1000 pounds of extra weight/camping gear is an underestimate for a week long trip. I bet you'll be closer to 9000 pounds loaded. That means tongue weight over 1100 pounds with 900 or so on the truck's axles. So I see a couple problems, 1100 pounds on a receiver that probably is not rated for that and payload which needs to handle at least 450 pounds of family (plus you?) and 900 pounds of TW and whatever you put in the truck bed.

I predict you'll be over trucks's GVWR, GCWR, rear axle rating, and receiver rating. That's not something I'd do with a less than 1 year old $30k+ truck.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

blt2ski
I found my 2000 C2500 did pretty good towing my 12K equipment trailer the day my MDT had a motor mount break on it! That is only rated to 13400. My 96 6.5td which has a gcwr of 12500, twoed the 12K equipment trailer better than the 2000, due to a stronger suspension! along with a longer WB.......

My navistar does not even know the 12K equipment trailer is back thater! yeah right, that thing has the lowest power of the three mentioned! yet it has a 35K gcwr!

As skip mentioned, gcwr is NOT a legal number! you can be over, you will go a bit slower than some engineers in detroit felt you should go....more time to semll the roses, see bears on the side of the road etc.

Another fellow on here pulls a trailer with a dodge, maybe even a frod that iputs him over gcwr in FL. His Dodge and frod gas rigs tow as well or better than his Fummins ever did, or on par, depending upon the HP and model yrs of his Fummins motors!

Stay under the axel wt ratings, and enjoy the trailer!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Considering you live in FL that part is good cause it's flat. If you're heading into any kind of mtns then IMO you'll struggle. And more than likely you're maxed on payload. BTDT. But only with 7200lbs. Had a 5.4 F150 maxtow and I don't think the 5.3 has much more in the power department. I could see a 500 mile RT, but 2000 miles in 8 days that's a lot of maxed out towing. I know it's tempting and you'll probably talk your self into it. But I'm guessing you be regretting it on the 2nd day of towing.

BubbaK
Explorer
Explorer
belairbrian wrote:
The family doesn't go against the tow weight, but are included in payload and gross combined weight.

Where did the 7550 number come from? Scales or the sticker?

You have to consider several weight values
GVWR
GAWR (especially if you are carrying stuff in the bed)
GCWR

All need to be under their limits.

Sticker weight on the TT