cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Weights on Minnesota titles

nano
Explorer
Explorer
On a Minnesota travel trailer title, it lists the "GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT/BASE VALUE". Now I would assume that means the 4500 pounds is the trailer fully loaded, but the "base value" makes me wonder if they are referring to unloaded weight?
2013 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
5 REPLIES 5

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I just happened to have the registration card for my '71 Starcraft at hand. It weighed just under 4500 lbs. when built OEM. It now weighs more than that. The tax base on the card says "4500". The registration tax is $8.00.

I asked similar questions when I just registered the old 2003 Impala my Son drives. It is value based and the value is listed at $21,000. I asked the counter person if MN would like to buy the vehicle at a reduced price. :B

Plate registration, titling, and annual renewals are antiquated but the State likes this system. It brings in a lot of money. Oh, to have Jesse Ventura back in office when registration was half of what it is now and we all got rebate checks from taxation.

The State now has a surplus in the coffers and legislators are tripping over each other, finding ways to spend it. They should all have to camp out one night under some failing highway bridge, IMO.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

nano
Explorer
Explorer
We've had the trailer for a year already. Just curious about the weight because it seems heavy for a 16 footer.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The lighter you can get it registered as the cheaper it will be to licenses it each year. And, there are less regulations on lighter trailers.

But, don't be stupid about it. You could get run through a portable scale and if you do and are grossly over weight they are going to know you tried to scam the system.

But, there are certain cut off weights. (Which are at weird points) For example, I think you do not need to have brakes on a trailer until after 2900 pounds or something like that.

You really should check this out before you try to get a trailer license . It will make your live easier.

nano
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I've been curious what our camper weighs but haven't had a chance to get it to a weigh station. (It's a 1972 16' Continental TT.)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
"Base Value" on a MN vehicle registration with weight listed is the approximation on which the annual licensing fee is apportioned. It is not an accurate vehicle weight but is a range of weights.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton