cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird battery power problem

Mogy
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I have a 2012 Arctic Fox 1150 with two group 29 batteries. Also have a 240 w solar panel. Have always had weird problems, like not being able to run all 4 jacks at the same time - a relay (or breaker) would kick out, then reset itself with an audible click after a few seconds and I can continue (plugging into shore power doesn't help). Running 2 jacks at a time is OK tho. I replaced the batteries, didn't help. Also, 2 or 3 times when we were out in the boonies, the power just died like someone hit a switch. We were only running one light at the time so almost no draw. After 10 seconds or so it reset and power would come back. Now I have no power at all on battery - dead. However, on shore power everything is fine. Fuses are all ok, and batteries test ok - I'm guessing a component failed, but I don't know what. Any guesses? Let me know if I omitted any pertinent data.
Thanks!
'08 Ford F-450 Diesel, Quad-cab, DRW, Torklift & Happi-Jack
Arctic Fox 1150. And one camp dog.
18 REPLIES 18

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
brholt wrote:
Be sure your battery connectors are well crimped. When I got my 2013 I found the main cable to the battery was barely crimped and I could almost pull out the wire. It wasn't obvious from a visual inspection, Somebody else had the same problem around here.

I have made it a habit to replace the factory connectors with HD crimped and soldered connectors for the battery and solar connections.
All four of my jacks go up and down without any problems.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Mogy wrote:
Just to follow up on this, the dealer confirmed with the factory that 15 amp is the correct rating for that breaker.

That's interesting because on this page from rieco/titan the thermal circuit breaker is 60 amps .

https://www.riecotitan.com/camperjacks/electricjack.php#base
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Mogy
Explorer
Explorer
Just to follow up on this, the dealer confirmed with the factory that 15 amp is the correct rating for that breaker.

Mogy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. mkirsch, an under-size breaker would make perfect sense for the jack probs... I have tripped that thing dozens of times over the years, so maybe it just had enough.

Bob (CA Traveler) I do have a multimeter, which is how I determined the breaker was bad. That's a good idea to measure power draw while the jacks are in operation though.

Fyi, in the past I did speak to both the dealer and the maker of the jacks (Rieco-Titan) and neither mentioned anything about just using two at a time. In fact, they both said it should be possible to use them all at once (since the remote has an 'all' button). If using just two at once is indeed a limitation, it's a poorly-documented one. I will also post the response from the dealer (about the correct breaker amperage) when I have it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you also had a ammeter to measure the current while lifting that should also help to determine if there is a problem or not. I carry a Sears clamp on ammeter that measures DC amps which is a great tool for all kinds of measurements.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Jacks use significant amps which in turn lowers the battery voltage when they are used when dry camping (should not be a issue with gen or shore power). Lower voltage adds more stress to motors and they run slower. So it's possible that the smaller auto reset breaker is intentional to limit you to 2 jacks at the same time. It could also be related to the wire size to the jacks which could be to small to allow 4 jacks to operate at the same time.

Plus after a night of dry camping the battery voltage is lower in the morning.

I would starting with a fully charged battery (12.7V), shore and solar off, measure the voltage as 2 jacks are lifting the camper. At that point get a good AF technical person to discuss your situation.

For example let's say you measure 11.7V with the jacks lifting. Then if the battery was 50% SOC (12.1V) then you would expect about 11.1V with 2 jacks. With 4 jacks lifting the voltage would be even lower.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
15 Amp doesn't sound like enough. I seem to remember that the main should be 30 Amp.

That may be why you couldn't run all four jacks at once. Then repeatedly tripping the breaker wore it out. These things are poorly made, and only have a limited number of cycles.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Mogy
Explorer
Explorer
The dead one I pulled out was a 15-amp. I'm trying to clarify now with the dealer if this is correct.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure your battery connectors are well crimped. When I got my 2013 I found the main cable to the battery was barely crimped and I could almost pull out the wire. It wasn't obvious from a visual inspection, Somebody else had the same problem around here.

ab257
Explorer
Explorer
The picture looks like a 30 or 50 amp fuse
NE PA
Ford F350 (2008 XLT CC LWB 6.4L Diesel 4x4 ESOF 3.73 DRW 17"A/S
Upper/Lower Stable Loads, Airbags, Bilsteins)
Host Yukon (1 Slideout, Tent, Solar, 2-way Fridge, AGM)
Jeep Rubicon (Blue Ox tow, Patriot Brake, Tork Hitch, Voyager Cam)

Junket
Explorer
Explorer
I had s chased a similar problem a year but only when I used the slid was a bad ground no more problem.
Ken
2005 Dodge Cummins 610 325Hp 3.73 Auto
2016 Wildcat 26FBS
Go Fast 66 Cobra replica 500+HP Richmond 6sp
2015 Jeep unlimited
23ft. Striper boat

Mogy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I did replace the switch and I again have battery power! The photo doesn't show it, but the wires are held in place by a clip just out of the photo, so shouldn't be any weight on it. However, the mounting bracket of the dead one was bent a couple of different ways so clearly it had some stress on it at some point. Hopefully the problem is solved, and I learned something in the process.

Good idea about the separate power line for the jacks, too.

Driftwood132
Explorer
Explorer
Something I did was to run a separate fused wire to the jack controller. No more problems . If you lost power to the camper that way the jacks will still work unless the batteries went dead.

2oldnslow
Explorer
Explorer
Your description sounds like a mechanical failure inside the breaker.

You might want to use "P" clamps or something to support those cables close to the breaker. The weight of them hanging on the terminals may be what caused it to fail.
2005 GMC 2500HD
1998 Lance 845
320AHr Battery Bank
400W Solar Array
Morningstar ProStar 30 PWM Controller
NovaKool R5810 5.8cf 12VDC Refridgerator (best mod ever!)