cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wet bath

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking at a number of trailers and have been trying to be flexible so as to give myself more choices for trailer purchase. I know that seems odd as most people try and narrow their choices.

One of the options in trailers that has always been a turn off to me has been the idea of purchasing a trailer with a "wet bath." Can someone share their experience(s) with the use of a wet bath, or do most people purchase and just use the toilet, or the shower, but not both. Thanks in advance.
27 REPLIES 27

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know how the true measurements of the photo wet bath compare to the standard corner shower, as was in our ROO and lots of other trailers? Or even the "tub" that's been around forever? On the upside of the wet bath shown, I can see it being a huge help for those with needs for a shower bench....this would serve 2 purposes. Our DS#1 has to use a shower bench and in our ROO there was not room to put it, and I'd bought a smaller size to take along rather than his larger one. No go and he and DH had to use the shower house.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
We had an R-Pod with a wet bath a few years ago. Having the toilet was very nice (30 gallon black/gray tanks, too!), but we didn't use the shower part unless we had to - too cramped, and we're not big people. We used the campground shower houses unless they were nasty. I prefer a separate full tub/shower and toilet. Even our AR-One 14RB has this.

The toilet in our PU was a cassette model, which was not the best system and had a very small tank.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
xteacher wrote:
We had an R-Pod with a wet bath a few years ago. Having the toilet was very nice (30 gallon black/gray tanks, too!), but we didn't use the shower part unless we had to - too cramped, and we're not big people. We used the campground shower houses unless they were nasty. I prefer a separate full tub/shower and toilet. Even our AR-One 14RB has this.

This is exactly what I was wondering about. Thank you.

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a picture of our wet bath to give you an idea of its size.

As you can see, it's easy to bump the faucets with your knee when sitting on the toilet, trying to wipe your backside. What you can't se from the photo is the sloping A-frame ceiling ust out of the picture that makes it impossible to stand and urinate. One must sit down for #1, #2 or to shower.

I'm sure they come in different sizes though, we just happen to have a tiny one. The Chalet A-frames that use a wet bath in the center of the camper, where one can't even reach the ceiling on tip-toes, are a little bigger and easier to use - but you can't tow them with a 4 cylinder car either. Life is a series of trade-offs - you must give up something to get something else you want more.

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Odd, but I never gave it any thought. We had a wet bath on the sailboat and now have one in the Casita. On both, I use a teak shower mat and an enclosed toilet paper holder.

Unlike Dan, we don't bother to dry it. When we make our last stop to dump the tanks, my wife hoses down the inside, sprays it down with cleanser, wipes it down with a sponge, then rinses it off. By the time she's done, I'm ready to dump the grey tank. I wish it was that easy at home. 😉

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Our PU had the combination toilet and shower. It was a little bit of a nuisance, but we worked around it. It was more of a hassle to set up each time. I certainly like the TT now with a separate toilet and shower in the bathroom area. It would even be better if they were in separate areas, but that takes up a lot of floor space. One of the improvements with our current TT over the previous one is that the bathroom has a separate outside door. Which makes it feel less cramped, provides more light, and is easy to air out.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
---snip---

We shower daily, with no thought given to a quick wipe-down of the floor after the shower. With the wrap-around curtain, the toilet stays dry, as do the walls. But, as one poster said, if one is a large person, wet baths are small. We are both smaller-frame, so shower size is no issue.

X2
Often in this size range, the wet bath gives you a bigger bath then a unit with separate bath/toilet. Ours was set up like above with the wrap around curtain, so the tp and med cabinet didn't get wet.

Had lots of good times in our 15' Yukon!

Norm
F1BNorm

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
We recently purchased a Pop Up with a wet bath. Our previous TT had a dry bath but it was a closet. ... There is more 'hip' space per say with our wet bath than our dry bath...I'm 220ish and well, there was't much hip room in the TT's toilet space.

The roof is taller in our pup than our TT so I have more vertical room to wash...lots of curtains too.

The tub of the dry bath was very narrow and the wet bath beats it too.

So not all dry baths are super comfy either, not all wet baths are super small. The wet bath does not compare to the room of say a split dry bath with a corner shower...those are super roomy!! The wet baths are trade offs...but a vey solid solution.

X2 on the cassette toilet! Love ours...if I ever order a TT...regardless of size...I'm going to ask if I can have a cassette toilet installed instead of a black tank and regular toilet. Having both, so much nicer and cleaner with the cassette.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone for your feedback. I guess it would make sense to follow the advice given to find one and go through the motions, so to speak.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had two wet bath trailers. Since we really like small trailers, a wet bath is a necessity. And it is not a big deal -- first DW showers, then I shower. I dry myself off and then use a squeegee to wipe down the walls. I then use a designated mop-up towel (not my towel) to mop up the rest of the water -- we hang it up and it dries overnight, ready to use again.

So -- is it extra work? Yes, a little -- it takes me a few minutes to dry the bathroom. It is worth it, since it permits us to have a very small trailer -- easy to tow, easy to store, fits into tiny campsites. But if you are ok with a bigger trailer, why not opt for a dry bath??
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
The R-pod is a great little trailer. Since you're by yourself, unless you think it would be a terrible inconvenience, I would not let it deter me. Better than a tent! If we were in the market for that type and size of trailer, I'd be headed toward the R-pod or similar. Using that type of bath is different, but you get used to it quickly and it's not a big deal to learn. If you have a dealer closeby that will let you sort of "pretend", go through the motions and see if it bothers you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a wet bath in a TT once and had no problem with it. The regular bathtub in my present TT is not any bigger then the wet bath was so I don't notice a difference.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
We have had wet baths in both of our TT. Not a problem. For all the comments about being a compromise, well, most trailering is a compromise in one area or another.

We shower daily, with no thought given to a quick wipe-down of the floor after the shower. With the wrap-around curtain, the toilet stays dry, as do the walls. But, as one poster said, if one is a large person, wet baths are small. We are both smaller-frame, so shower size is no issue.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road