cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

what are good air bags

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2012 F250 CC 4x4 and I want to put air bags to assist with leveling my truck when loaded. What bags would you recommend, and would you get a compressor with them?
19 REPLIES 19

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Miles Away wrote:
I have used "AIR LIFT" products on my last two trucks. They were an easy install and ran about $100 less than the Firestone product. If you hold them side by side, there isn't much difference in design and quality. I have never felt the need for an on-board compressor as it doubles the price of the unit, and is something else that can break. Since I only change the pressure in the airbags when towing, I'm only messing with them maybe once a month for five minutes or less. I have friends who have the Firestone brand and are happy with them. None of them use the on-board compressor.

I have the compressor, and have had no problems, if you never had a compressor then I doubt you know the benefit's of having one. I wouldn't be without one. I was happy with just the airbags, and a lot more happy when I installed the compressor, some like the hassle of dealing with an outside air source, I didn't . Push of a switch to inflate ,push of a switch to deflate. You will never know how nice it is to change pressure for different road conditions, unless of course you want to stop ,and experiment with pressure.

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone Ride-Rites here with a Viair 10007 a onboard air system that I installed myself in about a days time. I now have air anywhere I have the truck and can also adjust my airbags on the fly when road conditions dictate. Here is the link to the write up Viair Install
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Miles_Away
Explorer
Explorer
I have used "AIR LIFT" products on my last two trucks. They were an easy install and ran about $100 less than the Firestone product. If you hold them side by side, there isn't much difference in design and quality. I have never felt the need for an on-board compressor as it doubles the price of the unit, and is something else that can break. Since I only change the pressure in the airbags when towing, I'm only messing with them maybe once a month for five minutes or less. I have friends who have the Firestone brand and are happy with them. None of them use the on-board compressor.
M & M :C On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

RVing_Photograp
Explorer
Explorer
I have Firestone air bags on my 2007 Tundra and pull a fifth wheel. Works great. No compressor on mine, just fill them before hooking up and I carry a small filled air tank in the cargo bay in case I need to adjust when traveling.
"Live life or it will pass you by."

2007 Toyota Tundra with Firestone airbags
2011 Heartland Sundance XLT 24RL
2006 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i
Myself and Dr. (a.k.a the wife of 24 great years) New "Empty Nesters"
Storm, 4 yr Black Lab & Jazz, 12 yr mixed breed

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
I have Firestone bags and installed them myself. Initially didn't have the compressor. Couple years later I installed AirLift's remote control/compressor system. I really encourage you to get the compressor right away. You can ballpark it without the compressor but I really like being able to adjust it while on the road. You really get a good feel of what is the right pressure plus sometimes conditions change and you can easily change with it this way.

You want to have the bags plumbed separately.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
PacBrake air bags, in cab controls, 2.5 gallon air tank and air horns.

Top quality!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Firestone Ride-Rites. Tied both air line together in a common fill valve at the back bumper and use a bike pump to air them up. They don't need much air so a couple of pumps and I'm good to go. There are two style for the Firestone, one with a gooseneck/5th wheel hitch and one without. So get the right one. Run about 8# (5# min) when empty and pump it up to 18# before I set the trailer on it.

We were about a 1/4" off the overload springs and so air bags gave me back that clearance to the overloads and much improved the ride.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

64thunderbolt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have firestones with cab controls. Comp is in my toolbox in the bed. Better ride and makes drop & hook a breeze.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

Bedlam
popeyemth wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm happy with my Firestone bags with no compressor.

X2 for $300 bucks I can add air mine don't leak down they have worked fine
Good Luck, Mike

x3

Firestone sells two kits: One mounts under your rail and replaces your axle bump stop for fifth wheel applications, The other mounts to the outside of the frame and sits on top of your leaf pack. Neither kit requires drilling and is a clean bolt on application.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure one air bag is significantly better than another brand. However, some kits will bolt in a little easier or with your other aftermarket equipment (5th wheel hitch).

I spent quite a bit of time researching brands, warranties, kits and compressors. Today I ordered Air lift's 5000 series ultimate (built in bump stops) and their wireless compressor set up. The internal bump stop allows you to run zero air pressure. Most air bags require at least 5psi to prevent damage to the air bags. I have heard that even wih only 5psi, air bags can give a harsher ride when running a truck empty.

Air lift will warranty their bags if you use their smart air compressor system as well.

Also, air lift has a $50 rebate on their bags and air compressors until 10/31.

I have a 2008 F250 CC 6.5' bed 4x4.

I'm not sure if this helps.

OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
I put Air-Lift Super Springs on my old 97. The boy still has it. They must be at least 12 yrs old and never a problem. I took a load leveler compressor from a old Buick and mounted it in the right rear wheel well, nasty location, it still works. A couple of flow control valves and gauges, a check valve and a regulator. Being able to adjust on the move is the only way to go, lets you fine tune the ride.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have FS and I've had airlift. Both double bellow and no problems. I've seen single bellows but I wouldn't want them. I also have air-adjust rancho 9000s and a PRXB e-brake so compressor/in-cab controls was a no-brainer. I love every part of it! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
Firestone here also

turbopilot51
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I'm happy with my Firestone bags with no compressor.

I guess I'm getting lazy. I like sitting in my truck and inflating or deflating my air bags from the driver's seat.