cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What bunkhouse should I look at?

Danceisart
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of 6. 2 adults and 4 children. We have been combing through RV shows trying to upgrade to a quad bunk house. We currently own a 2011 Zinger by Crossroads with two bunks. A thing I like about my Zinger is the pantry is huge. I have food for our family in the top and still have two shelves on the bottom that I use for beach towels. It also has a really nice closet that I use for the Kid's clothes. It fit 3 children's clothes for two weeks easy (it's a little tight with 4 kid's clothes). In the bathroom there is a nice shelf that keep all of our bath towels. That's 12 towels! I like the interior colors/decor too.
We need to upgrade to a bigger camper. We are pulling with a 2500 Gasoline Ram. The problem is that I can't find one that checks off all my boxes. Maybe you can help???!!!
I want a travel trailer that our truck can pull, it needs to have a quad bunk house, it needs to have a big closet for 4 kid's clothes (with at least one hanging bar), it needs to have full underbed storage, it needs to have a large pantry and a 8cubic foot fridge, it needs to have room for towels (bath and beach), we are looking for electronic jacks and a higher quality made trailer in the $40,000 or under price range.
Thanks In Advance!
1 more thing: we did look at a Kodiak that I liked but then someone told us that they fade and don't hold up well. Any opinions on that?
Amanda & Rob and 3 little campers (Braden - 11, Giulianna - 9, Alessandra - 2)
First camper - 2006 Trail Lite, Present camper - 2012 Zinger
13 REPLIES 13

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our next trailer will be the 32-DBTS

The opposing rear slides are sweet and make a huge rear bunk room and the entire back wall is cabinets.

IMHO this is the best bunkhouse floor plan for the size (30 plus footers)
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

qmrichardson
Explorer
Explorer
we seem to have a lot in common. My last trailer was a crossroads zinger too and I really liked it. I owned two trailers before getting the the zinger (Wildwood by forest river and a Gulfstream amerilite). Crossroads was hands down my favorite. After owning a few trailers, it's the little things you realize you need the most. I've seen some newer models with full size bunks that sleep 2 people each easily. Maybe you could benefit from this design and not have to get the quad bunk. I just got the 2014 keystone outback terrain 299TBH becasue I liked this design. I'm only a family of four with two small children so this is way more space than we need but it's nice to have nonetheless. It's only 6500 lbs dry, so you should be able to tow it pretty easily with your gasser.
Will
2014 Keystone Outback Terrain 299TBH
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel

aclay
Explorer
Explorer
We like our Sprinter 311 BHS. Lots of room. Might be a bit heavy...
2012 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax CC SRW 4x4, 2013 Sprinter 311BHS, DW, 3 boys, & 2 dogs...
Campingourway Blog

padave
Explorer
Explorer
Prime time Lacrosse 318bhs....I have had mine for 3 years....loaded with amenities and storage
wife and 2 daughters
2012 Ford F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 318bhs
Equalizer
former:
Nissan Titan
Rockwood Roo 233
Coleman Westlake

On_the_Lam
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the same situation as you (2 adults and 4 kids). We have a Puma quad bunkhouse and like you, started wishing for more space. Just as we did, the kids reached the age where they wanted to start staying in a small, 2-person tent. Problem solved. If we had to do it over again, I'd make sure the bunkhouse had a separate slide for more room in that area. Like mentioned above, Puma has some very nice bunkhouse floor plans.
2008 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.4l
2006 Puma 30DBSS

kt0819
Explorer
Explorer
seabeecamper wrote:
Look at the Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD. Just purchased one tou will love the room. I am towing it with a Ram 2500 hemi with no problems. Island kitchen, fireplace, outdoor kitchen, led lights built into the awning, 3 slides kids will have own 32" led tv in their bunkhouse. Take a look you will fall in love.

I love this trailer and the floor plan!! We couldn't buy it because it is too heavy for our TV.

The WhiteHawk we bought has 3 bunks in the back bunkhouse and a couch that folds down. I really like it and the kids use the couch quite a bit so I'm glad to have it instead of just a regular 4th bunk.

It's a light weight trailer though, so there is no slide in the rear bunkhouse to make the space bigger. There is a slide out wardrobe that fits tons of clothes and towels (we have six kids and even with 10 towels, all their clothes for a week and diapers there is still room) and because it slides out, doesn't take any space in the room. However it is accessible and the room is fairly usable even with the slide in.

This layout also has the separate bathroom entrance, which was a must-have for me.

The WhiteHawk doesn't seem that popular on this forum but we have been really happy with ours. The 2014 has some nice upgrades, including LED lights on awning and a tri-fold couch instead of air bed in the living room. Perhaps there is another manufacturer that makes this same layout? Dh and I have been very pleased with the layout and it works well for our family of 8.

However, there is no 8cuft fridge option and its not on the high end of TTs so you may want something more expensive with even nicer finishing. Weight was a big issue for us so we are pleased with the fit and finish considering this.
Wife to 1 and mom to 6.
Just bought our first TT
Jayco Whitehawk 31DSLB with ProPride 3P
2012 2500 Yukon XL SLT 4x4

turkii
Explorer
Explorer
We are in a similar situation, two kids but frequent kid visitors are expected. Will be purchasing in late 2013/early 2014.

The floor plan we settled on is offered by many manufacturers and has 2 slides in the BH creating a small play area for our young kids between the bunks. These models are not much more than new models the have only one BH slide but give you a lot more room. Cost differences are about $800-1100 extra.

Jayco Flight 32TSBH is our current front runner - Jayco has unique futon style mattresses in the lower sides of the bunkhouse which can be positioned in different ways based on how big your kids are or how people will be in the trailer. We could realistically cram 6 kids/young small teens in the bunk house.

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the Puma line, they have one that has a slide in the back along with one in the living area
Clicky

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Prime Time Lacrosse 318 Touring Edition? 319?

Why not a bigger Zinger, 32QB?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
What ages are the kids? We found a lot of bunkhouses had teeny tiny bunks (28" wide) that wouldn't fit our teenagers.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

seabeecamper
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD. Just purchased one tou will love the room. I am towing it with a Ram 2500 hemi with no problems. Island kitchen, fireplace, outdoor kitchen, led lights built into the awning, 3 slides kids will have own 32" led tv in their bunkhouse. Take a look you will fall in love.
2014 Sunset Trail Reserve 33BD "The Beehive"
2004 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab

U.S.N Seabee "Can Do"
NMCB-1
NMCB-7
NMCB-14

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a lot of units. We are a family of 5, 2 adults and 3 kids. We really liked the Coachmen Freedom Express with 4 bunks but it didn't have enough space or storage. We looked at another that had 4 bunks with a slide in that room which was huge but still not enough storage. We settled with the rig in my sig. It has two bunks in the back on top and a sofa that pulls out to a full size bed on the bottom. Under the bunk on the other side we have an outside kitchen which gives us the extra space we need for food. We pull with a 3500 ram diesel. I wouldn't be afraid to pull it with your 2500 gas it would just be a bit slower and the mpg lower.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

stevo75
Explorer
Explorer
I think the Jayco 32TSBH might work.

I have the 31BHDS which is the 32TSBH minus the 3rd slide for the other half of the bunh house.

Honestly if I were to upgrade I would probably go 5th wheel. Not sure who makes a BH that would meet your needs.

Good luck
2007 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS (at seasonal in Maine)
1995 Trophy 2302 offshore fishing boat