cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What gas octane???

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Users of the big gassers: Dodge 6.4, GM 6.0, Ford 6.4....... Can the lower octane be used or do you need the higher octanes????? Colorado we have either 85, 87, or I think 91..
jimbow
46 REPLIES 46

Oliver21
Explorer
Explorer
Not a very scientific justification, but I only use 91, not because it needs it, but because that's the only grade I can get without ethanol, the addition of which was a crappy idea in the first place. IMHO.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gir what?
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
TxGearhead wrote:

I think at least you pretty much got it. Others? I'm not too sure.

Obviously, not.
๐Ÿ˜‰
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
then that terminal is indeed using the approved additives.
What am I missing here?

I remember seeing several reports from what, at the time, sounded like credible sources who said that the brand specific additives were added either by the tank truck driver or the station owner.
The bulk terminal operator has NO involvement in that process.

There also was an implication that this "process" was somewhat less than reliable.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can't trust that the proper additives that are mandated by law are not being added, then how can you trust that those additives actually do what they claim?

Bet you never thought about it that way.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
enblethen wrote:
. . .
Our fuel terminal gets its products from the refineries near Billings, MT and Great Falls, MT via pipeline. Additives are added at the terminal and the product is delivered to various brands of stations.
. . .

Isn't that what the CR article is saying? The terminal is either adding the proper additives to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline or it is not. If the terminal is delivering to any of the listed licensed brands then that terminal is indeed using the approved additives.
What am I missing here?

I think at least you pretty much got it. Others? I'm not too sure.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some of the additives are required for fuels to be sold in specific states. These are added to all fuel sold in those states.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
. . .
Our fuel terminal gets its products from the refineries near Billings, MT and Great Falls, MT via pipeline. Additives are added at the terminal and the product is delivered to various brands of stations.
. . .

Isn't that what the CR article is saying? The terminal is either adding the proper additives to qualify as a Top Tier gasoline or it is not. If the terminal is delivering to any of the listed licensed brands then that terminal is indeed using the approved additives.
What am I missing here?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I do not trust what the Consumer Reports is saying.
Western Washington gets their fuel from different refinery companies around Puget Sound.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
dirtyhandz wrote:
I always thought gas was gas no matter where you buy it until Sheetz came on the scene. Gas from there will make anything I put it in run significantly worse with less mpg. Jeep's, Harley's, Lawn mower's, and my wife's Fiat. Trucks are diesel. My old ragged out sporty will pretty much run on whale piss but Sheetz gas will make it ping! To get back to the original topic we always run mid grade in the jeeps and premium in everything else.

IOW, Sheetz gas ain't worth a Sheetz?? Thought I'd heard it all when I saw Cum and Go gasoline, but Sheetz takes the cake... a Sheetz cake that is...
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
I found this Consumer Reports study to be of interest:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought gas was gas no matter where you buy it until Sheetz came on the scene. Gas from there will make anything I put it in run significantly worse with less mpg. Jeep's, Harley's, Lawn mower's, and my wife's Fiat. Trucks are diesel. My old ragged out sporty will pretty much run on whale piss but Sheetz gas will make it ping! To get back to the original topic we always run mid grade in the jeeps and premium in everything else.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Octane is an additive

No it isn't.

Octane is a measurement of gasoline's ability to resist igniting from pressure and heat before you want it to.

Additives are one way to achieve that.....but not the only way.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:

Ethanol messes up small engines,

Ethanol does NOT damage any engine that is properly designed to use it. It just doesn't.

NOW.....it does tend to gum up quicker but all that means is that the owner actually has to DO something other than just throw his chain saw on the shelf and let it sit there for two years.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611