cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What gas octane???

jimbow2
Explorer
Explorer
Users of the big gassers: Dodge 6.4, GM 6.0, Ford 6.4....... Can the lower octane be used or do you need the higher octanes????? Colorado we have either 85, 87, or I think 91..
jimbow
46 REPLIES 46

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
^^^I always thought a 383 stroker would make a decent tow motor. How you like it?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Fill, premium, cash". Those are the instructions I give the attendant (Oregon is a no-self-serve state). Daily drivers at 285k & 303k miles on original motors. Camper hauler has a new 383 because I wanted more power than the original 350 provided, not because the 350 wore out. I believe in treating them right with regular maintenance, quality parts when needed, and good gas.

That way when I put the right foot on the floor, there are no questions in my mind that the vehicle is prepared to handle it.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Super unleaded without ethanol (91 or 92) should be used in small engines, as per the JD and Stihl dealer.

Ethanol messes up small engines, and soaks up water in boat engines that are exposed to lots of water.

As for the truck, 87 octane. Large 6 liter plus engines have pretty low compression compared to smaller engines.

Little risk of knocking.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
WIFE: Why do you use 89 in the truck, 92 in your HD, but only put 87 in my car? Are your toys more special than my car?

ME: Book says...I DO.

I even run 92 (sometimes 89 if I am filling the truck & the cans) in my lawn equipment. I think the tiny motors like the higher octang.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Octane is an additive that helps control pre-detonation. Normally this occurs in higher compression engines, or where timing is advanced too far, although heat and load can contribute to pre-detonation or "pinging".

If you don't have symptoms of pinging, you are throwing good money away buying more expensive fuel than the manufacturer recommends. If you are hearing pre-detonation you may want to have the vehicle looked at for a bad knock sensor, dirty fuel injectors. It could also be a sign that a valve job is needed.

Typically fueling with higher octane fuel in a car not designed for it will not boost power or provide benefit. I would start with a basic computer engine diagnostic if you are hearing "pinging"

So to answer the OP, put what the manufacturer recommends in the tank.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
My truck was designed for 87 octane and usually when crossing the country that usually means switching to mid grade once I hit mountain country, as tge octane drops across the board (lowest I saw was in Dayton, Wyoming sporting 82.5 octane regular)
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
Mine says 87 too. The higher in altitude you go the easier it is to get away with lower octane gas.

I think using a Top Tier gasoline is important also.
Camp Host, from the other side.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always under the assumption that gasoline was what campers used to start their campfires when the wood they bought at the campground was wet and green.....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gasoline is a commodity. There is a federally mandated minimum for detergents and other additives. In most cases these are added at the distribution terminal/tank farm. Depending on location and the size of the terminal, additive packages can be added to a dedicated tank or in the tanker when being loaded.
If you are buying from a local no-name corner store you "should" be getting the federal minimum. If it's a very small retail operation they could be tempted to buy any trash gas a outlaw wholesaler/trucker will sell them for a low ball price.
The major name brands have additive packages above the minimum. The source of the commodity gas of different brands frequently comes from the same terminal with the specific brand package added.
Of course being employed by a major oil company for 40 years I do believe you receive some benefit of using a major brand with their above and beyond minimum additives. Shell, Chevron, and Texaco are my first choices.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
zcookiemonstar wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
I don't know about "top tier additive packages".
Suppose gas stations add the stuff when the tanker pulls in.
I have seen tankers at gas station lot of times, but never seen attendant dropping anything into pipes.
All gas stations take fuel from the closest refinery, so the mysterious additives might be the only difference.
For decades I am fueling at the cheapest stations for the area and never had fuel system problems.
Actually by cars beat in reliability anybody I know. The other factor might be that I don't allow any mechanics touching my cars, unless it is warranty issue.

Years ago I knew I guy that owned a Citgo gas station. He said he bought his gas from the Amoco refiner that was the closest. He said all stations usually just buy from the closest source and just ordered "their blend" what ever it is.

Very much the case. The fact is there are only X number of refineries, distribution centers,transport networks and pipelines etc. Go to any regional distribution center, we have a Sunoco logistics center near us, and make a list of all The names on the tankers going in and out. You'll need a lot of paper. The difference is the sign on the retail location and the color scheme on the gas pump.

I have driven over 60K per year commuting for the last 18 years in a multitude of different pickups, and have always used what is recommended by the manufacturer. Usually 87 which is the standard octane here in PA. I do not even know where we can get 85. Brand is not important. I have plenty of other things to worry about more than fuel. and the minimal power or mileage gain, or other benefit you may or may not get between octane ratings / brands. IMO it's just marketing.

I'd prefer to ponder if the dressing on the Italian Hoagie I am ordering for lunch is made from Heinz vinegar or generic lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
I have seen tankers at gas station lot of times, but never seen attendant dropping anything into pipes.
All gas stations take fuel from the closest refinery, so the mysterious additives might be the only difference.
For decades I am fueling at the cheapest stations for the area and never had fuel system problems.
Actually by cars beat in reliability anybody I know. The other factor might be that I don't allow any mechanics touching my cars, unless it is warranty issue.

Years ago I knew I guy that owned a Citgo gas station. He said he bought his gas from the Amoco refiner that was the closest. He said all stations usually just buy from the closest source and just ordered "their blend" what ever it is.

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
jimbow2 wrote:
Users of the big gassers: Dodge 6.4, GM 6.0, Ford 6.4....... Can the lower octane be used or do you need the higher octanes????? Colorado we have either 85, 87, or I think 91..

I have a Dodge Charger with the smaller 5.7 Hemi. My manual recommends using the mid grade and that is what I use. I would think the 6.4 Hemi would be the same or higher. Around here I think the grades are 87 89, and 91.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Run whatever the manufacturer recommends which is normally regular grade gas unless you have a turbo which will normally recommend Premium to prevent knocking. Running anything higher is just a waist of money, especially if you live where there is no ethanol added.

However, I am a firm believer in running top tier gasoline for the additive packages they use and I always avoid remote desperation gas stations that don't have fresh gas do to lack of business.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smog motors are all low compression anyway. Thank Al Gore.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB