Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is considered a Short or Long Box

RickOnt
Explorer
Explorer
Another 'newby' Question

I am reading the "AF and 2005" Dodge thread

They refer to a 6'4 box as a long box I was thinking that would be a short box and 8' would be long!!!

I tried a search but no luck.

Set me straight here

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Manufacturers reinvented the definition of Long and Short bed when they started making a short short bed on the 1/2 tons a number of years ago. I think GM is the originator of the under 6' bed.

In truck literature, Nowadays, the short short is called a "short bed"
6.5 is usually called a "standard bed"
8' bed is called a long bed.

BUT, most truck people still call a 6.5' a short bed and a 8' bed a long bed. I do.
Bob

garbonz
Explorer
Explorer
W5CI wrote:
5 ft vs 8 ft, real simple

Simple yes correct no. Except for a half ton, but they have standard 6.5 beds also. Thanks fo adding to the corn fusion.
Garbonzo

Lakota Estate 33SKQ 2008

W5CI
Explorer
Explorer
5 ft vs 8 ft, real simple
2015 RAM 3500 DRW
2004 Cedar Creek 30RLBS

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve_in_29 wrote:
The basic "long bed" is 8", though it varies by an inch or two between manufacturers with Ford being the longest and Dodge the shortest.

Short beds run
Dodge/Ram 6'3"
Chevy/GMC 6'5"
Ford 6'8"

My tailgate fully closes with a standard quad in the back. Non ford guys in my ATV club have to tie up the tailgate with ratchet straps. :B
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

RickOnt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys

That's the info I was looking for!!

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
The basic "long bed" is 8", though it varies by an inch or two between manufacturers with Ford being the longest and Dodge the shortest.

Short beds run
Dodge/Ram 6'3"
Chevy/GMC 6'5"
Ford 6'8"
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is for a long or short box, it means a couple of things.

1. There is enough distance of the floor that it can fit on a 8 ft bed.
2. It has a COG that is far enough forward that it is acceptable to have it on a short bed that is approximately 18 inches forward of where it is on a long bed.

The same truck camper model in short bed in a 8 1/2 truck camper can sometimes have storage/generator in that 18 inches. In that case, there is not enough floor length to reach the front of the bed if it was put in a long bed.

From a TC manufacture perspective, 6'6" is probably the short bed figure. It's really 8 ft and everything else. Either way, if you have a non 8 ft bed, you will always be safe with a short bed camper if your truck bed is either 6'6" or 6'4".

There are a few campers made for 5'5" beds, but they specify that.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

nomadictxn
Explorer
Explorer
In the truck camper world, most folks are using 2500 plus trucks to carry campers. 8ft. is a long 6.6ft is short.
nomadictxn
2013 RAM 1500 QC 5.7, 3.92 4x4 6 sp.
2021 Flagstaff E Pro 19FBS

RickOnt
Explorer
Explorer
Jim I did not read that It was just my newbie assumption.

What I am looking for clarification on is

When I read camper is for a long or short box What length are they referring to?

or Do different manufacturers use different lengths??

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
A long box is longer than a short box.
A short box is shorter than a long box.
A manufacturer can call it whatever it wants.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
RickOnt wrote:
The 'Standard at 6'6" is considered a long box when I read the manufacturers info?

Where did you read that? Do you have a link?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

TDWebster
Explorer
Explorer
RickOnt wrote:
The 'Standard at 6'6" is considered a long box when I read the manufacturers info?

Rick, some of the literature published from Northwood can be a bit confusing when it comes to camper fit on 6'6" and 8' beds.

RickOnt
Explorer
Explorer

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
That would be a shortbox, the 8' is the long box.

Next up, you will get someone in here to point they come with a 5.5' bed too. Yes, the 1500 series trucks do.

eta: beat!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.