Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is wrong with my slides?

kennyd63
Explorer
Explorer
Good noon...

You ladies and gents probably heard of this before. In the spring we open the slides, and leave them open all season long till is time to winterized and call it quit for the season. Well this year we did our yearly routine on winterizing, well it was time to close the slides and to my surprise the slides will not close. So I read in the manual and it said that if the battery was dead to try to give it a jump with my Towing vehicle. I did and nothing, so the second thing they suggest it was to jump the motor of the slides. WOW it worked I was able to close the 3 slides. Now is there anyone out there that may know what may be causing the problem, or do I need I new motor?:?

Thank you in advance>>>

Kennedy>>>
2019 Braxton Creek 24RLS
2010 Forest River Salem 403FB-Destination Trailer
2014 F150 4X4 Crew Cab
8 REPLIES 8

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We have a seasonal campsite in upstate NY and also in South Carolina where the RV just sits for months at a time. As a routine, I run the slides in & out about once a month and lube the systems as required twice a year.

The big issue with sitting in one place is the battery(s). If you are plugged into 110v all the time, you need to check the water level about every 3 months or so and topped it off as required. My experience with an RV battery plugged in all the time is that it likely needs replacing about every 5 years or so otherwise the slides may not extend or retract.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bears Den wrote:
A few weeks ago, I was camping and had my DW close the two slides. We were ready to leave when I remembered there was something inside I forgot to do. DW opened the one slide and I did what I had to. This took all of about 2 minutes to do, when she went to close the slide it would'nt close. The other slide would not open. I even tried plugging into my truck and it didn't work. To my surprise, there were 3 relays between the battery and the body of the trailer which were mounted on the A frame. There was a loose wire and the slides got no juice. Once the wire was tightened the slides worked. Check that first before you spend any money.

Yep those self setting relays are very common and basically take the place of fusable links found on high amperage automotive items for safety purposes. They are typically located very close to the battery, just like fusable links and a common place is on the bottom of the trailer, just behind the A-frame before the wiring goes into the main junction box or into the interior for further routing. They are often exposed and can really corrode up and fail.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
A few weeks ago, I was camping and had my DW close the two slides. We were ready to leave when I remembered there was something inside I forgot to do. DW opened the one slide and I did what I had to. This took all of about 2 minutes to do, when she went to close the slide it would'nt close. The other slide would not open. I even tried plugging into my truck and it didn't work. To my surprise, there were 3 relays between the battery and the body of the trailer which were mounted on the A frame. There was a loose wire and the slides got no juice. Once the wire was tightened the slides worked. Check that first before you spend any money.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

chevyman2
Explorer
Explorer
definitely the battery. Funny part is, you (possibly) could have plugged your (or someones) tow vehicle in to the 7 way "light" plug, and the rooms would have likely went in. (Assuming the truck had a "properly wired" plug receptacle)
Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 2001 Jayco KIWI
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream-then I am living the dream

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your dumb charger has boiled the water out of your battery and your cheap jumper cables will take hours to partial charge your dead battery .
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Well if you jumped it and the slides moved then the motor(s) are fine.
Have you maintained the battery? Checked its fluid and made sure the terminals aren't corroded? Do you have a high quality 3 stage charger taking care of it or do you have a single stage charger that has destroyed it?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't need new motors or they wouldn't have worked when you jumped them directly.

Slides get DC power directly from battery
If battery voltage is low they don't work
IF in-line fuse/circuit breaker/relay is bad.slides don't get power from battery

Jumping battery from tow vehicle can help.........depends on how low battery voltage is, demand on battery etc.

Look under trailer tongue for fuse/relay
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries
charles weidman