cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s it REALLY worth?

manley
Explorer
Explorer
My dad is getting out of RVing for health reasons. He has sold his travel trailer, and thinks he might want to sell his truck as well. I don’t believe he should, because he can’t replace it for what he’d get out of selling it... thus, this question:

What is a clean 2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 2WD, 8.1, Allison transmission, extended cab, loaded (except leather), with 95,XXX miles, worth?

Thanks in advance.
2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS
32 REPLIES 32

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If he doesn't have a use for it he sell it. Even if he gets 5k he's better off selling it than having an old useless truck sitting around.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My buddy just sold his 05 Eddie Bauer Excursion V-10 3.73’s with 40k miles for $26k! He held out for what he wanted and found a guy hat was willing to buy a like new X. Never seen snow and only the occasional rain on a trip. He still had the seat care tags on the seats and the air bag warning hanging off the glove box latch (tucked inside of course)! Hold out long enough you’ll find and get what you want.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
samsontdog wrote:
I have a 2003 F250 Ford Super Cab and have a standing offer of $15K. It has just over 100K on it. I would also say $10K to $15K

What engine does it have?
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 F250 Ford Super Cab and have a standing offer of $15K. It has just over 100K on it. I would also say $10K to $15K
samsontdog:o:W

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
CC/4x4 with those miles around here is $15k min I’d say. So $10k would be a good sales price being 2wd and not crew cab. That limits the perspective buyers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
newman fulltimer wrote:
Looking online i would say between 10-15k

Where are you looking? Bought a 2001 F250 4yrs ago for $6k. I would expect by now it's probably down from there. If absolutely pristine, it might go a little higher but $10-15k is very optimistic.

To the OP: If he's getting out of RV's for health reasons, do you expect his health to come back at some point? Realistically, it's usually a downhill run so if he's hit that point, he is unlikely to be doing other heavy duty work with the truck.

Of course, he can get a similar truck for what he can sell for. The guy who buys it from him is doing exactly that. Unless you start talking dealer trade in vs FSBO which is not apples to apples.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
It's a unicorn! Still a very popular body style, would make someone an ideal tow rig with that engine and transmission if 2WD was acceptable. That low of miles, he ought to hit a home run with it. Folks flying/buying (and bidding wars)on similar Suburban's with 8.1L.

Here's a comparable 6.0L Crew Cab ~ $ 15K
2002 Silverado 6.0L
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Look for similar trucks on craigslist in and around the major cities where he is located. Truck Trader.com also

You'll see the high and low prices and I would pick something in the middle.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Good time to move on. Sell it. Don't let him give it away unless to family or a close friend.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
There may be reasons he would want another vehicle (smaller, easier to handle, etc.). But if he is not going to be doing any towing or a lot of driving (little concerns regarding fuel prices), and if the truck is in really good shape, I'd hold onto it. Anything new or late model is going to cost $30K or more. Does he really want to lay out that kind of money or take a load at this stage in his life?

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look up used pricing on Edmunds.com, Kelly Blue Book, and NADA. Take an average, add $500 for negotiating room, and advertise it FSBO for that. Use the values for "private sale". If there are not "private sale", use halfway between trade-in and retail.

People looking at FSBO trucks want to pay less than dealer retail, which is still a lot more than trade-in.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,d sell it by private owner , a dealer will steel it from you ,about $8k to 10k if in great shape.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
His truck, let him do what he wants. Don't push too hard for your inheritance yet. It's still his money and property, not yours.

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I sold my very clean 4WD 2001 Silverado 2500HD LT w/leather (6.0 gas with 113k miles) for $7,000 last month. The 8.1 and Allison have a sales advantage but not everyone wants a 17 year old tow vehicle.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Kelly Blue Book, www.kbb.com, would be a good place to start.