cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the longest/heaviest you would tow with a 1/2 ton?

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are rated for anywhere from 9200-12500 lbs max towing and abound 1000# TW Back in 2013, I wasn't thrilled with how our 2013 F150 3.5 EB CC 4x4 max tow (rated for 12k#) felt suspension wise with about 5500# and 28FT behind it. Maybe it was just me, but it was pretty slushy/bouncy even with a properly set up WD hitch. Maybe it was just me. I remember telling myself I would never go over what I had with any other 1500 if that was a max tow truck.
Fast forward to now. We're thinking pretty hard about upgrading from our 17 FT 2800# trailer to something with two recliners and a dinette with a walk around bed. Looks like about the smallest I can find is almost the same, 28 ft. From my reading, light weight trailers just can't hang quality wise and longivity wise as more robust , heavier trailers. Seems like they start around 5800 and up to around 7000#. I know there are people who get downright scientific with it, just looking for a general idea if possible. Hopefully I'm already on the right track.
61 REPLIES 61

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Either way, I will most likely try to find something 6000# UVW or less. I can't see driving all the way across the country for the Northwoods or Outdoors RV. I'm really trying to find something that compares to the Lance 2375 just so we have some choices. There might not be much, if any except the stuff that is quite a bit less money. Then it's the "well do I pay for higher quality now or deal with fixing the lesser expensive one later". Of course, they are all man made and all have issues to some extent.
Wopachop, that is a true statement. I would have a 2500 and a larger trailer and something else for my wife to daily drive. I drive a 2020 Camaro SS 1LE. There is a "budget" of sorts. I just see a 2500 series sweet Ram night edition with a 6.4 Hemi and consider it, but in reality, she might like a 1500 better and the gas MPG is horrible on those 2500's.

manley
Explorer
Explorer
I tow my Open Range (in my signature) with an ‘18 F150 (also in my signature). I’ve wanted more truck - or less trailer - a number of times. Even though the GVWR of of the trailer is 9,900 pounds and the truck is rated to tow 11,700, as others have said it really comes down to payload of the TV. With a Hensley hitch, load range E tires, a Helwig sway bar, air bags, and Bilstein 5100s all the way around, my experience is “acceptable.” Please note that means very little margin, and I’d consider myself much more experienced towing than average.

2021 F250 XLT FX4 SCREW Godzilla 7.3L
Hensley Arrow
2017 Open Range Light 272RLS

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I would rent a uhaul and tow trash to the landfill.
I would load a couple dirt bikes and go camping.
I would buy a 3/4 ton before i bought a decent size trailer.

This topic comes up on the camping forums frequently. To me the biggest problem is that the half ton guys wont ever admit it comes down to money. THey blame the choice on everything else. Reality is if they won the lottery they would have a big ole truck for towing and something else as a daily driver. Thats what i would do. But i lack money. So my daily driver is an old clunky 3/4 ton that only tows a handful of times a year. Seems about right to me!!

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
A little more on the door sticker and ratings. If 2013 or later, SAE J2807, rates our trucks on a real world test. So, unlike the old days, you can probably trust the numbers. Read up on SAE J2807. A lot better than opinion and the marketing department.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once you get into the 28', 7-8k lbs range you are getting to the area of needing a specially equipped F-150, so just for fun, I went on Fords website, and built 2 trucks, an F-150 XLT 4X4, with heavy duty tow package, and heavy payload package. It was just over $50k, then I built an F-250 XLT 4X4, and did not have to add any heavy duty packages, and it was just under $48k.
So really you might as well go with the 3/4 ton, it will be a little cheaper, and you don't have to worry about payload, and you have more truck to handle the load.
The MPGs, will suffer a bit, but unless you put a bunch of miles on it daily, that shouldn't be a concern.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I have towed my trailer with a half ton, three-quarter ton, one ton, and one ton dually. Gas and Diesel. There is a difference.

To me, it depends on how far, and how often. And the purpose of travel. My trailer was intended for campgrounds (within 300-400 miles) with my daughters. If I was traveling across the US, and not staying in one spot often, I would want a smaller trailer. If I was traveling across the US, or thought I would be, I would be going bigger than half ton.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, we don't carry any water and only go for the weekend, so we don't load it down with a ton of stuff. I don't have a truck right now, just our Jeep Cherokee that we will be trading. I realize they are a higher GVW, but I'm not going to load 3,000 lbs in them.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on what era or F150 you are looking at.. Mine is 13 max tow. My door jamb stickers.. 🙂

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I know they are rated for anywhere from 9200-12500 lbs max towing and abound 1000# TW Back in 2013, I wasn't thrilled with how our 2013 F150 3.5 EB CC 4x4 max tow (rated for 12k#) felt suspension wise with about 5500# and 28FT behind it.

The most important numbers for carrying weight is the trucks RAWR and GVWR packages....not its tow rating

#1. 7850 gvwr HDPP...4800 rawr....2500 lb in the bed payloads.

#2. 7600 gvwr...4550 rawr... 2200 lb in the bed payloads

#3. 7050 gvwr...4050 rawr... 1800 lb in the bed payloads

#4. 6750 gvwr...3800 rawr...1500 lb in the bed payloads.

Also the GVWR/RAWR changes every few years but this will give you a idea of how many packages the F150 has.

The 'MAX TOW" option doesn't mean the truck can carry more or the max weight. Only the F150HDPP can.
"Max tow" options is a 3.55 gears w/elect locking/bigger fuel tank/aux tranny cooler/7 pin harness/engine oil cooler/pro trailer back up assist/brake controller/etc. Good option but does nothing for carrying max weight.
The F150HDPP has axle capacity for around 2500 lbs in the bed. The 3.5 EB or 5.0 v-8/10 speed tranny and 3.55 gears won't have any issues towing that size trailer.
To many people bit into the MAX TOW option with small gvwr/rawr thinking it can tow the max size trailer. Gotta' look at the real load carrying numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stclairm wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
A Lance model 2375 travel trailer is 25’ and 5000 lbs. looks like it fits your requirements.

Man, that is one I've been eyeing. It's in the same money category as Outdoors RV and Northwoods Manufacturing. I really like the Artic Fox 25Y (6640 UVW) and Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24RLS (6650 UVW). These seem to be the 3 trailers that are significantly higher quality than the more recognized names at about $10,000-15000 more. Unfortunately, none of them are anywhere NEAR North Carolina, so it would require a vacation just to go buy one. That might happen depending on what loan/rate I can secure. I don't feel like buying another "inexpensive" one to deal with all the same stupid things breaking/leaking. At least these are still quite a bit less than an Airstream!

Those are both nice TT’s but they are both 10k GVW trailers, too much for a 1/2 ton truck to comfortably handle. The Lance is a 7k GVW trailer, much more comfortable for your F150. Good luck.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
MitchF150, on this forum tows a 7,000 GVWR TT, with a similar 13 150 max tow, and is happy with the towing experience. I think his TT is about 28' OAL. I do think some WDHs work better than others.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Mitch here. 🙂

Yes, it's a comfortable tow with my new Rockwood. It's #2000 heavier and about 4' longer than the Prowler I towed before. 26' OAL.

I can tell the difference for sure going up the grades however. Going down the road on level ground, no real difference..

By the grades, I mean, it takes a bit more pedal, but it still does it just fine with the Eco.. It does run a bit hotter on the grades and I am now running 92 octane fuel, but that's all in the owners manual anyway, so no big deal...

I use just a standard EAZ-Lift WD setup (#1000 bars) and it's just fine for how I have it setup.

Thanks again Jerry for the shout out.. I do enjoy towing my new rig, but would I tow any heavier?? Not with this truck.. I like the comfortable tow I have now and if I did go to a heavier trailer, I'll get a heavier truck... 🙂

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RbqPaqtpuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFLOBrADBs
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to drive a new Ram Warlock the weekend after next. I'm probably between it and the Titan just due to pricing, but we were very impressed with the Titan and were shocked by just how much. I can say the interior fit and finish and quality were far better than the Chevys, Fords, and Rams I've been in. Asian built vehicles tend to have a better reliability record. I've been a new car dealer service advisor for 22 years and have seen a lot.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been towing with my sig pic truck from new in 07. I agree that payload will be the first thing you'll run out of. I've been up against my numbers every trip, 35', 8500 lbs and 1100 lb tongue weight, 16,000 GCVWR. The truck handles it fine as far as braking, handling and ride/stability. It's the power and gearing I run short on. Entrance ramps are a hope and pray strategy, and I'm always waiting for it to accelerate. Once up to speed it does pretty well around home's rolling hills and short mountains. Being a dinosaur 4 speed, I spend a lot of time between 4000-5000 RPMs, so the noise factor is a consideration as well. Nothing serious has happened inside the warranty or extended warranty period, so I'm glad I saved the money on that. I did have the cam phasers, chains and guides changed about 3 years ago and a cooling issue which was mainly my fault cost me some dough. Otherwise, rust is now the enemy after 13 years and 201,000 miles. Next time, It's super duty and 7.3 gas monster. I agree, it's going to depend on the specific truck whether you're comfortable with it or not.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Might have been my Equalizer hitch. I had only towed a 3000 Gulfstream Visa with an Avalanche before that. I always thought it would have been a good idea to have someone experienced in towing a lot to drive my rig and let me know. I do know that using a 2500 plus as your weekend driver and TV about 10 weekends a year ain't the most comfortable drive. I loved our F150, I can't stand the new ones.