cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What type brush to wash fiberglass camper?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I used a telescopic bristle brush to wash my old aluminum sided camper. I now have a new fiberglass camper. Is it okay to use this same brush to wash it, or would it damage/scratch it? What should I use?
16 REPLIES 16

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
As an owner of 3 gelcoat toys here is my formula for success First wash with a good grade car wash soap. Second polish with Collinite cleaner and polish.Third apply a good coat of collnite paste wax. This will last about 1 to 2 yrs depending on the environment

Home_on_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
All this just depends upon what type of unit each of us has. What works for one may not work for the other. We are satisfied with how we maintain our unit and will continue to do so.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home on Wheels wrote:
We only wax our unit twice a year. Ten year young and looks GREAT!

Great. I did it that way too. Till I learned. and you can keep on doing it that way. Up to you. But waxing will easier if you don't use dish soap. My vehicles never stop beading water between waxes now. Before. They did. Waxing on wax is much easier,
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Yes and I use automotive car wash/wax soap to wash it. You should never use dish washing soap of any kind on any RV or auto because it removes the wax. Google it.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very soft bristle brush and soap made for vehicles. Meguiars, I think. Followed by Nu-finish.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
I use a soft bristle push broom. Much larger head than these wash brushes they sell. That way I can cover more area.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Soft bristle auto brush. Used one on my fiberglass boat, no issues.

Home_on_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
We only wax our unit twice a year. Ten year young and looks GREAT!

hussbuss
Explorer
Explorer
The brush in Dutchmen Sports picture is the truck master brush. Super soft bristles and holds lots of water and soap. perfect for fiberglass and metal campers. I have used these in my pressure washing business for years.

Coffee_Grinder
Explorer
Explorer
Use a product called OrPine Wash & Wax and your worries are overwhelming

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
One of these on the end of a panter's telescoping paint roller pole. Works very well. Brush is nice and soft. When wet, it's heavy! Works great. Use it on my car and truck too, and siding on my house.

Click here.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Home on Wheels wrote:
We use the telescopic brush as well but we use Ivory dish soap. We had one of those professional RV wash companies tell us that Ivory was a softer soap and would not damage the graphics.

All my life I used dish washing soap to wash my vehicles, and campers. UNTILL lately, when I found out. Dish washing soap takes the wax off. At first I thought it was only Dawn. But no, It is all of them. so now I use only soap formulated for vehicles. What I have now is Rain x. Only because it was on sale. But there are lots of other "car" wash soaps. And to be honest. I don't have to wax as often, Nor is it as hard when I do.

Just a thought.

As for the brush. I also use a soft tele brush.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
I guess our fiberglass van is spoiled. She gets washed with a lamb's wool mop head (from Camping World.)
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I use a telescopic pole with a soft bristle brush and Ivory or Dawn soap.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience