cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What would happen if I...

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
... bought a used Equalizer sway control hitch rated for 1200#/12,000# when my vehicle's max tow rating is 1000#/10,000#? I have an opportunity to by a used Equalizer hitch for less than half of retail + free installation. My TT's tongue weight is 600#. TT's dry weight is 7500# & max is 10,000#. I know not to overload the TT but what I don't know is this: will the used bargain hitch "work" or will I, once again, be taught the penny-wise-pound-foolish principal?:W

Thanks, in advance, for your wisdom, even if it comes in the form of criticism!
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.
9 REPLIES 9

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Many years ago, I bought an old, beat up, modified, home welded Equalizer hitch so I could tow my 19 foot TT behind my 1970 Jeep Wagoneer.
I had to make further modifications to it (grind the shank down to fit the receiver), but I was able to make it work.
It did the job of keeping the Wagoneer level with the trailer hooked up.
In other words, it did what a WD hitch is supposed to do.
I did not weigh any part of the lash-up. The tow vehicle was level, the trailer didn't sway, nothing bent or broke, nobody was injured or died, and that was all I was interested in.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone. As usual, the advice on this forum is priceless. Much obliged.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
7500 pounds dry, 8500 pounds loaded. That will likely have over 1000 pounds of loaded TW. You want the 1200 pounds bars.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
That hitch should work fine for you. It won't take as much tension on the bars to give you the weight distribution you need. The higher rated hitch will not overload anything.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Your rig will blow up! Just kidding. ๐Ÿ˜„ It should work perfectly fine. I used the 10k/1k Equal-i-zer on a 4000 lb TT; the mfr advised that it would not be a problem.

I imagine you'll want to weigh your hitch once you are loaded up, to make sure you have at least 10% of the trailer's weight on the hitch. Not hard to do if the fresh water tank is located up front. Actually, though, I just checked the specs on a 2016 25R and dry wt was listed at 6045 lbs... that number makes more sense to me.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Where are you getting the 600 lb. tongue weight number. That seem really low for the trailer you are describing...?? (TT's dry weight is 7500# & max is 10,000#.)

But, to answer your question, yes, 1200 lb bars would be perfect for a 10K GVWR trailer.

I'm looking at an Arctic Fox 25R! It's an older model but I'd rather have that than a new model by another manufacturer! The dry hitch weight is 670# on a new 25R according to the Northwood site. This model has a CCC of almost 4000# but I won't be hauling that because my TV won't handle it. Nothing's for certain at this juncture. I haven't even seen the unit. Just doing my homework. Thanks!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you getting the 600 lb. tongue weight number. That seem really low for the trailer you are describing...?? (TT's dry weight is 7500# & max is 10,000#.)

But, to answer your question, yes, 1200 lb bars would be perfect for a 10K GVWR trailer.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
For a trailer with GVWR of 10,000 lbs, that would be a good hitch in my opinion.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
The idea is to ask the dealer to install this as a bonus to sweeten the deal?