cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When did TT's become "Campers"

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Having been on the planet over 7 decades, I must be falling behind. When I started RV'ing in the '80's, a "Camper" was a unit that slid into the bed of a pickup, a unit that was bumper hitch towed behind a vehicle was a "travel trailer", a unit that hitched to the middle of a pickup bed was a "fiver." So, I guess now everything you can camp in is a "camper?"

Just wondering.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
70 REPLIES 70

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Mortimer Brewster - did you just add your signature for this thread? I like it. :). (Even if I disagree).

It seemed like an appropriate time to tack it on. ๐Ÿ™‚
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

matt7591
Explorer
Explorer
I call my motorhome a trailer out of habit. True story. I suppose you have a problem with that? ๐Ÿ˜„

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My dad always differentiated things by how they were used. The vans and trailers parked in wide spots along forest service roads were "campers." The vans and trailers on paved spots plugged into a power source were "RVs." That's still how I use the terms. The Class A parked in a dry lake bed in the desert, or in a dispersed site in the forest, is a camper. The 19' travel trailer that is always parked with full hook ups is an RV.

My dad is the first person to tell you that now he is an RVer. He used to be a camper.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
I never figured I was camping unless I was in a tent and cooked my vittles over an open fire.....

snip....

Oh now you went and did it. Are vittles a specific kind of food, or is it a generic term for all things we consume in the name of eating ?

Can you have vittles at home ?

Or can you only have vittles while camping, and being a camper person ? Or is that an RV'ing person ?

....I'm confused now....

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
Camper, RV, travel trailer, call it whatever you want I don't care. The whole discussion seems silly.

Precisely, thought we "campers" could use a bit of silliness amongst all the debates about Chinese Tires, what TT is best, how much can my truck tow, gas vs. diesel, etc. etc.

(Although I still maintain that a travel trailer is not a camper).
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camping in a TT is a far cry from tent camping. Camping in a PUP comes closer.

When you talk to RVers about tents the are quick to point out wet nylon canvas, cold ground, sooty pots, bugs and host of other disagreeable conditions that make camping special.

I thoroughly enjoy warming my morning coffee in the microwave but it is not the same as stirring the coals back to life on dew soaked ground.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mortimer Brewster - did you just add your signature for this thread? I like it. :). (Even if I disagree).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
The whole discussion seems silly.

well that certainly is a first for this forum. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

Iโ€™m going to be laughing about this the rest of the day.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Our first camper after a tent was a, "tent trailer."
Now I guess it's a, "pop-up," or a, "folding trailer."

Call it whatever, if you 'camp" in it, it's a camper....and we are I am camping so, I'm a 'camper.'.......
I also quite a agree with you. What does it matter what we refer to as a "camper" just as long as we all enjoy our time while "camping" with whatever we prefer!

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
Our pastor (who likes to backpack and tent camp) said a camper use to be a person not a thing!

Well said! Love it!
Yep, that is my first impression of a "camper" also. We are all "campers" using different shelters.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
What about us Truck Camper folks?

If "camper" means any of them, does that mean I have a truck camper camper?

The truck camper seems to me to be the only one without a unique name. Therefore I consider "camper" to mean a truck camper, just like "trailer" means travel trailer.

x2.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about us Truck Camper folks?

If "camper" means any of them, does that mean I have a truck camper camper?

The truck camper seems to me to be the only one without a unique name. Therefore I consider "camper" to mean a truck camper, just like "trailer" means travel trailer.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
The whole discussion seems silly.

well that certainly is a first for this forum. ๐Ÿ™‚
bumpy

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Camper, RV, travel trailer, call it whatever you want I don't care. The whole discussion seems silly.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
Camping to me is sleeping on the ground, in a tent and cooking on an open fire.

What RV'ers do today isn't camping, it's 'Glamping'.

I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ll ever be camping again then. The ground has become a lot harder than it was 30 years ago. Global warming, no doubt.
I guess Iโ€™ll stick to the โ€œglampgrounds.โ€