cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did TT's become "Campers"

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Having been on the planet over 7 decades, I must be falling behind. When I started RV'ing in the '80's, a "Camper" was a unit that slid into the bed of a pickup, a unit that was bumper hitch towed behind a vehicle was a "travel trailer", a unit that hitched to the middle of a pickup bed was a "fiver." So, I guess now everything you can camp in is a "camper?"

Just wondering.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
70 REPLIES 70

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect there is (or was) regional variation in the usage. Growing up (70s and 80s) a "camper" was any mobile unit used for camping - a generic term. An RV was a large truck-based (e.g. bus-style, or large class C) camper. A trailer was a tow-behind camper. Fifth wheels either didn't exist or were so rare that they didn't come up on my radar. The sort that slide into the bed of a pickup were "truck campers" and still are.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Depends who I am talking to.

Mostly...I just say trailer.

I would modify that if I still had my work trailer....which I also called trailer.

At this point of the season....I just call it that piece of sh*t clogging up my driveway.

One more adventure planned for next week and then the "trailer" goes into storage.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Having been on the planet over 7 decades, I must be falling behind. When I started RV'ing in the '80's, a "Camper" was a unit that slid into the bed of a pickup, a unit that was bumper hitch towed behind a vehicle was a "travel trailer", a unit that hitched to the middle of a pickup bed was a "fiver." So, I guess now everything you can camp in is a "camper?"

Just wondering.

Since the 70s, I always heard travel trailers and pop ups called campers. Never, ever heard anyone refer to them as travel trailers. They were campers.

Truck bed campers were never really popular but those were called truck campers or camper tops. Also, my family had truck campers made with truck caps, and finished the truck bed's floor and walls in carpet and made furniture and sleeping beds for those. My uncle was a handy carpenter and carpet layer, so he converted many Vans and Truck beds with Caps, into campers.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

iuki
Explorer
Explorer
TV news anchors need to learn correct terminology. They almost always refer to a motor home as a mobile home, and older mobile homes are called trailer homes on the news. SMH

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
When I lived in Rhode Island I used to eat Grinder sandwiches, but now that I've been in Delaware I now eat Hoagies and Subs???

I just purchased a new Pioneer travel trailer and if I want to call it my camper I will. I'm paying for aren't I. I also call it my house, home away from home, or my cabin.

Then again when I lived in RI I would take my girlfriend out to the bay to watch submarine races.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
LVJJJ wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
LVJJJ wrote:
I never figured I was camping unless I was in a tent and cooked my vittles over an open fire.....

snip....

Oh now you went and did it. Are vittles a specific kind of food, or is it a generic term for all things we consume in the name of eating ?

Can you have vittles at home ?

Or can you only have vittles while camping, and being a camper person ? Or is that an RV'ing person ?

....I'm confused now....

Vittles is the food cowboys ate in the old west on cattle drives

Unless they're tender - in that case they're for the cat.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
when I was just logging on to RV.Net and going thru the index, I realized this very forum proves that I am right. The only RV called a "camper" by ourownselves is a "Truck Camper", the kind that slides into a pickup bed, all the rest are Fifth-Wheel, Travel Trailer, Hybrid, folding, class C. etc. Class B's are called Camping Vans.

I rest my case and thank all those who participated.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
LVJJJ wrote:
I never figured I was camping unless I was in a tent and cooked my vittles over an open fire.....

snip....

Oh now you went and did it. Are vittles a specific kind of food, or is it a generic term for all things we consume in the name of eating ?

Can you have vittles at home ?

Or can you only have vittles while camping, and being a camper person ? Or is that an RV'ing person ?

....I'm confused now....

Vittles is the food cowboys ate in the old west on cattle drives
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2008 HHR

jimlj
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyXgMal3C1U

This is a caravan.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimlj wrote:
When I was in England, the English called a travel trailer a caravan.
The kind you take 'a holiday' in.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like the aforementioned vittles, the term camper is subject to regional definitions.

Some of us might recall when RVs were called Rec Vees.

Call it what you want, it does not change the fun factor. 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I think it's a context thing.

If you are telling someone you will meet them back at the site, you might say, see you at the camper" and it doesn't matter what type of RV that you are using.

If you are discussing the pros and cons of different types of RV's, you specify the specific type.

Of course, they are often called "camping trailers" and hence shortened to "camper".

In the big picture, it's not an issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everything north of a tent is a "camper" to us. Well, maybe not a full-dress Blue Bird. 🙂
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

jimlj
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
mike-s wrote:
Are you talking about caravans?
I don't know. What's that?

When I was in England, the English called a travel trailer a caravan.

Since my dad bought a 16' Shasta trailer new in 1966, it was always called a camper. I have owned several "campers" over the year. Most of the time when I get to go camping, I'm a happy camper.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
3rd generation camper here.

My father and my fathers father of which held Wisconsin Camping Association events on our property...everyone said "camper" or "trailer"

Even those with Class A's called their unit a "trailer" sometimes.

Today my family calls our TT the same thing. A trailer or camper.