cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did TT's become "Campers"

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Having been on the planet over 7 decades, I must be falling behind. When I started RV'ing in the '80's, a "Camper" was a unit that slid into the bed of a pickup, a unit that was bumper hitch towed behind a vehicle was a "travel trailer", a unit that hitched to the middle of a pickup bed was a "fiver." So, I guess now everything you can camp in is a "camper?"

Just wondering.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)
70 REPLIES 70

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had a camper when I was growing up - as in truck camper.

Before that we had a trailer - as in travel trailer.

Later my dad made custom vans - as in class B.

Now I have a motorhome - as in class c.

I have heard trailer, camper, caravan, RV, motorhome used for all the different types. I tend to use the following now:
TC
TT
5er
C
A
B

I don't glamp and I don't RV. I camp. Even amongst tent campers, my setup is very minimal.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
fifth wheel 5ver and pop-ups PUPs appear to be the current favourites.
5er, not 5ver.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike-s wrote:
Are you talking about caravans?
I don't know. What's that?

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always referred to my late 1960's 14ft. TT as a "camper". A trailer was one of those houses on wheels over at the trailer park that families lived in all the time. And, a 18 ft. Holliday Rambler was a monster at the state parks.

Times and nomenclature continue to change. Truck camper TC, travel trailer TT, fifth wheel 5ver and pop-ups PUPs appear to be the current favourites.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I've always thought Travel Trailer was a more modern name for a Camper or Camping Trailer.

bogeygolfer
Explorer
Explorer
I use it tongue-in-cheek mostly, after hearing a story from a good friend who just purchased a brand new Tiffin 45' bus: a nice lady in a parking lot walked by and said "oh, did you get a new camper?"

Priceless.
2002 KZ Sportsman 2405
2005 Duramax
1996 Foretravel U295

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about caravans?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I know people who call TT's Motor Homes. And, many will call a Million dollar Prevost a camper.

It doesn't matter to me if someone calls our 96 Southwind a helicopter or a dump truck. I know what it is and what it does. 🙂

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
What RV'ers do today isn't camping, it's 'Glamping'.
or RVing.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Camping to me is sleeping on the ground, in a tent and cooking on an open fire.

What RV'ers do today isn't camping, it's 'Glamping'.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
I consider anything that I camp in a camper, be it a tent, pop-up, TT or motorhome.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree its a generic term . Many people say camper to shorten truck camper.
They must have felt that saying 2 words or typing 2 words was taking too long and they were running out of time.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
I never figured I was camping unless I was in a tent and cooked my vittles over an open fire. I have no desire to camp anymore, too much work, too cold I now am an RV'er sleeping in a travel trailer, well off of the ground and using propane or electricity to fry my bacon.

I've started this thread as I have noticed over the past couple of years that the word "camper" has been more and more twisted to refer to all RV's. Being the absolute authority on this (LOL), just wanted to set everybody straight.

(I'm enjoying the responses, just don't take me too seriously, although, as long as the wife isn't around, I'm always right).
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've always thought "camper" is a generic term for any kind of RV.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Having been on the planet over 7 decades, I must be falling behind. When I started RV'ing in the '80's, a "Camper" was a unit that slid into the bed of a pickup, a unit that was bumper hitch towed behind a vehicle was a "travel trailer", a unit that hitched to the middle of a pickup bed was a "fiver." So, I guess now everything you can camp in is a "camper?"

Just wondering.

Only buyers get it mixed up. Every MFG lists the unit as it is.
If you go to any NFG web site, they don't list trailers, campers or toy haulers as "Campers" They list them for what they are.
I could never figure out why some people call everything a camper.