cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which GPS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
On our recent trip to FL we realized that a GPS system would be very handy. We managed okay with computers, maps and Google but it was obvious that a real time system would be better.

We usually cover a lot of territory at a slow pace, checking out things as we go, so we are on the road for several weeks at a time.

Looking on the internet there are a host of models from $69.00 to $369.99; basically more features more money.

My question is, which features do I really need?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
36 REPLIES 36

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Now I am really confused. I guess any unit will get you from point A to point B but on my last trip I wanted to know where there were gas stations and RV parks in addition to the normal poi.

Can these be loaded into a less expensive unit or do I need the $300.00 plus wonder?

What GPS do you have?

Both of my Garmins have lots of built in POIs including specifically the two types you mention. Plus I can upload POIs of my own choosing from the many, many freely available or I can make my own. I have a huge campground POI that I have built.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Robin1953 wrote:
My latest purchase was the Garmin RV760. I must admit that I don"t care for the higher cost of the RV specific units but I do not like not having the ability to set the length/height/width/weight of my RV so that at least it gives me a shot at avoiding the trouble of being led down a wrong road.

Thanks for mentioning the Garmin RV760 which is another alternative to the Good Sam unit, although I like the Good Sam unit because it has Good Sam parks listed which is a plus for a Good Sam member like me. It does appear to be a bit more expensive also, but Garmin makes the best rated GPS units.

I had a Magellan when I thought that my "regular" Garmin was on the blink (SD card was partially ejected so it was not working right) but after trying it for one trip it was not as good as the Garmin despite some updated features, so I returned it and am back to my Garmin.

I do like the RV GPS units though - safer and less stress for the driver.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Now I am really confused. I guess any unit will get you from point A to point B but on my last trip I wanted to know where there were gas stations and RV parks in addition to the normal poi.
Can these be loaded into a less expensive unit or do I need the $300.00 plus wonder?

I can only speak from experience with a Magellan GPS. This was the very first unit I bought and you could load POI in it via their own application. However it was not RV friendly and thus my next purchase was a Garmin 465T which is a trucker's GPS. The RV specific GPS units had not come to market at that time.

My latest purchase was the Garmin RV760. I must admit that I don"t care for the higher cost of the RV specific units but I do not like not having the ability to set the length/height/width/weight of my RV so that at least it gives me a shot at avoiding the trouble of being led down a wrong road. I have an Atlas that I carry with me but in reality I have no idea where it is stuck. I don't even know how old it is since I haven't used it in years. I use my GPS and watch the signage and have managed quite well for the past several years since buying the 465T.

All GPS units are fallible but I haven't been bitten by the RV/Truck specific units as I was once bitten by the car GPS (Magellan). I read on here that people use Google/Smart Phones/Maps/etc. etc. Personally I think that is way more trouble than I want to deal with when I am traveling. Sometimes I will use Delorme Street Atlas to map a route and port it to the GPS but that is rare that I even do that.

Generally I plug in my starting point,ending point, switch it to RV mode and just pay attention to the signage when traveling about. If I need gas/food/campgrounds I just do that on the fly and insert it as a via in the current route. This works for me but YMMV.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II

Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
Another recommendation for Garmin. I have two Nuvis, a 1450LMT and 750.

Get at least a 5 inch screen.

Lifetime map updates.

Spoken directions from the GPS.

Make sure it will do Routes. Many don't. Routes allow you to upload or generate the actual path you want to follow to your destination rather than the GPS choosing the path and then giving lots of "recalculating" when you don't follow its calculated route.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Luv2too wrote:
I took this GPS for test run. It did tell me about speed limit changes, and sharp turns. It showed RV friendly gas stations, rest stops, and campgrounds. The GPS took me on an alternative RV friendly route. I did not hook it up to wifi while I was driving. However, I did hook it up to wifi while at home and it does list current location weather.

Very good to hear. Thanks for sharing your experience. It does have good reviews overall. Maybe I will take the plunge although I have other (higher priority?) purchases to consider first.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
The hazards warnings worked for curves and speed limits. Nothing else came up. We only took a short trip and have not yet tried the other features. Really like the larger screen.

Understood. Thanks for the reply.
Regards,
Wayne
_

Luv2too
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
We just bought the Good Sam version of the 7" Rand McNally. One trip so far and it was spot on. Still carry an atlas and maps, though.

Kip

Is it the Good Sam Rand McNally RVND7725?

If so I am particularly interested in your comments on these features:

• Wi-Fi—Connect to a wireless hotspot or mobile access point on your smartphone to receive live weather data.
  • Weather—Dynamic weather data, including current and forecasted information for your current location, destination, and anywhere along your route. Choose from 10 different live map overlays to display important information for RVers, such as wind speed and precipitation.
  • Warnings for speed limit changes, sharp curves, dirt roads, and other potential hazards
  • Exits Quick View—RV parking and amenities at exits
  • Predictive traffic—Routing based on historical traffic patterns
  • RV-friendly gas stations (aside from POIs to truck stops)

The last bullet is most important for me. In other words I want to see what sets it aside for the RVer while driving.

Aside from the above I get all of that with my present Garmin or pre-trip planning.

I took this GPS for test run. It did tell me about speed limit changes, and sharp turns. It showed RV friendly gas stations, rest stops, and campgrounds. The GPS took me on an alternative RV friendly route. I did not hook it up to wifi while I was driving. However, I did hook it up to wifi while at home and it does list current location weather.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
wmoses wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
We just bought the Good Sam version of the 7" Rand McNally. One trip so far and it was spot on. Still carry an atlas and maps, though.

Kip

• Wi-Fi—Connect to a wireless hotspot or mobile access point on your smartphone to receive live weather data.
  • Weather—Dynamic weather data, including current and forecasted information for your current location, destination, and anywhere along your route. Choose from 10 different live map overlays to display important information for RVers, such as wind speed and precipitation.
  • Warnings for speed limit changes, sharp curves, dirt roads, and other potential hazards

The last bullet is most important for me. In other words I want to see what sets it aside for the RVer while driving.

Aside from the above I get all of that with my present Garmin or pre-trip planning.

The hazards warnings worked for curves and speed limits. Nothing else came up. We only took a short trip and have not yet tried the other features. Really like the larger screen.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Kalait
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Garman, however, I do rely on my smartphone for places like gas, food or other essentials. I use the app GasBuddie to find the nearest or cheapest gas.
Kalait

2010 Xterra
2011 Passport 199ml

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
I use a GPS everyday for my travels for work. I have used 4 different brands and love the Garmin Nuvi best. For towing our TT I would like to purchase a RV GPS but cannot justify the $375.00 for one.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:

Kip

Regards,
Wayne
_

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We have both Magellan and Garmin, and the family agrees that the Garmin is just easier to use... the Magellan just seems "clunky", if that makes any sense.

I don't have a "trucker" gps. As many other posters say, use your head while traveling, don't put all your trust in the gps. Gps units especially seem to love directing you to parkways, which many times (around me at least) do not allow trailers or large vehicles.

I usually print out a map using Yahoo maps (which I am used to), bring a large map book, and use the gps while towing. What I really love about the gps is that it warns you of upcoming turns, intersections, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if dedicated gps unit sort of fade away in the next few years. Everyone is using smartphone with gps, and when we bought our most recent gps last summer we were surprised at how fewer units seemed to be available compared to just a few years ago.

And almost always before leaving on a long trip... I ask here on Open Roads if anyone has up to date info about my route.