cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which truck would you choose

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
Needing some advice and not wanting to start WWIII. I have narrowed down my choice of trucks. One is a 2006 f250 with 6.0. it has been gone through and bullet proofed at 227,000 and now has 236,000. No tuner and has never been used a tow vehicle. Trans has been serviced regularly and shifts very smooth but has never been rebuilt. He has all the receipts from engine work.
truck 2 is a 2008 dodge ram 2500 mega cab with 6.7 cummins and 68rfe trans, with 147,000.Engine has been egr deleted. trans is stock. no tuner has been ran on either trucks, both 4x4. i have never owned a diesel before. just wanting to know your thoughts on longevity of both drive trains. both trucks are very clean and been well taken care of. thanks in advance,steve
2006 dodge ram 2500
forest river heritage glen
wife and three kids
48 REPLIES 48

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of trans,I push the button on shifter once tow haul mode,push it again overdrive is off. My camper weighs around 7000lbs. Trying to decide which mode to use. What say you
2006 dodge ram 2500
wife and three kids

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
sidewayzz wrote:
Was done 2200 miles ago.

Very good...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
Was done 2200 miles ago.
2006 dodge ram 2500
wife and three kids

Rubiranch
Explorer
Explorer
I'd keep looking for another truck. 🙂

on edit - I guess I should have checked the last post. LOL
Camp Host, from the other side.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
sidewayzz wrote:
I ended up buying a 2006 ram 2500 5.9cummins.The other ram fell through. I will be picking up our new to us 2014 glendale heritage this next monday. Sure i will see a big differance in the way my last dodge pulled. Thanks to everyone for the advice.Steve

Excellent... neither was the better choice and the 5.9 is better. Next is to have that transmission serviced.

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
Could be.
2006 dodge ram 2500
wife and three kids

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Might be the 2nd time the owner has "bullet proofed the 6.0." Trying to recoup some of his losses instead of waiting & praying it don't fail until being ready to junk it.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up buying a 2006 ram 2500 5.9cummins.The other ram fell through. I will be picking up our new to us 2014 glendale heritage this next monday. Sure i will see a big differance in the way my last dodge pulled. Thanks to everyone for the advice.Steve
2006 dodge ram 2500
wife and three kids

plain_ol_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend that owns a diesel performance shop. He makes his living off Fords, sees a few Duramax and Cummins. I was looking for a new tow vehicle (upgrading from my 91 Dodge 12V ram dually finally) and asked him what he would buy if he were looking himself - Duramax would be his choice and that is what my new 17 Silverado has.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just me, I'd be leery of any deleted or tuned diesel truck. I'd keep looking. IMHO

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

sidewayzz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. Guess I am going with the ram. Will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks again.
2006 dodge ram 2500
wife and three kids

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Given the 6.0 person said he was tired of it, I would pass. I personally loved how my 6.0 drove after I tuned it. My engine was fine, but everything else broke on it in the 30k I owned it. A proper running 6.0 is a fun pickup to drive. And the torqshift in those years is a great tranny.

However, I think the biggest factor is the debate is how much they improved the actual pickup itself from 06 to 08 with all 3 manufacturers. My 06 Ford sagged a ton when hooked up. Where my 08 Duramax still barely squats (tho I need new shocks). That being said, I have read a lot about how people don't like the Dodge tranny in those years. Although if you don't put to much power to it in a tune, I guess it's fine.

Good luck with your choice.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Greene728 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
When Ford owners tell you to go for the Ram, that should be the plan.
My 2001 on has 301,000 miles.

This Ford owner will tell you neither.... And the cummins is a 6.7 with a tuner that will likely pop a head gasket when pulling and it's not the simple and reliable 5.9 as yours.

Troll post.
Go with the Cummins.

Typical RV.net Fan Boy post...

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
None of the above, I agree with one of the other recommendations, how about a 6.8L Ford V10? Run down to Nashville, get this one, ditch the camper, burma shave...:C

1999 Ford F350 4x4 Crew SRW 6.8L V10

Edit: well looky here, near Knoxville, TN
1999 F250 V10

Now, if this truck has really good service records, don't fear. Nice looking truck. Several reports here of the V10 going beyond 400K easily.
1999 F-250 Crew 6.8L V10 high miles

Have you guessed I'm plugging the 6.8L V10?
275HP @ 4,250
410 ft/lbs torque @ 2,750
Old School Cool.

Meant to add, yes vote for the Dodge, just thinking based on the year and mileage of the two trucks, OP might be looking for a low price point, hence the often overlooked V10 in good condition.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler