cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Truck would you tow with ?

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a problem deciding which truck to use tolling my 5th wheel. I have a '94 Ford F250 4 x 4 7.3 Diesel 5 speed. (180 hp, Torque 338 ) I also have a '96 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 4 x 4 5.7 gas engine 5 speed. ( 255 hp torque 330 ) I know that I may be over weight on the ford a little bit. ( I think ) Our 5th is rated at 11,000 GVWR. Just want to use the saftest truck possible. Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
1994 Ford F250 4 Wheel Drive Deisel
1991 NewMar Kountry Star 30'
32 REPLIES 32

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
Does your 7.3 have a turbo. If so, no question go with the Ford.
Even non-turbo it is a stronger engine and will be under less strain, you just won't go real fast.

Agreed. The low end power will pull like a freight train then level out quickly.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Around the southeast and Arkansas, I would use the Chevy. They'll both be a test of patience. Higher HP through gear reduction equates to more torque to the rear wheels.

Horse power cannot be increased through gear ratios. The technical definition of HP is a function of torque AND time. By gearing down the output of an engine, you can increase the torque, but it increases the time required to do the work. HP can only be increased at the power source.

I think you misread my post but just the same, if you have a flat torque curve from 1600rpm to 2900rpm for example, through gear reduction, you will increase engine rpm going from O/D to direct at equal road speed and increase HP with higher rpm and torque with gear reduction. My 345hp/365ftlbs Hemi made more torque through gear reduction to the rear wheels than my '03 250hp/460ftlbs SO Cummins. The engine with more hp can put more torque to the rear wheels through gear reduction.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
arkansasrunner wrote:
What I am really concerned about is if the 5.7 Gas will have enought power to do the job & handle the weight. The Chevy is a whole lot more comfortable on a trip. I don't see many 350's on here towing a 5th wheel.

You lost me? :h Your Chevy has 75 more HP and you're concerned it will have enough power? The Ford should really concern you then!

The Chevy is a 3500 and your concerned about it handling the weight? What about the F250? The gas 3500 should have a way higher payload than a F250 diesel.

The reason you don't see too many 350's is because modern powerhouse diesels have taken over the market. Long gone are the 150 to 225 HP diesels. Modern diesels have 2x's+ the HP of your old IDI non turbo diesel.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
What I am really concerned about is if the 5.7 Gas will have enought power to do the job & handle the weight. The Chevy is a whole lot more comfortable on a trip. I don't see many 350's on here towing a 5th wheel.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
arkansasrunner wrote:
We travel mostly in Arkansas, Missouri & Kentucky.Some of the hills are steep & with the diesel , sometimes 15 mph by the time we get to the top. Was just thinking the chevy would handle the weight better. Chevy may only be going 15 mph at the top also, but, I am still thinking about the weigh of towing.

A 3500 vs a F250. 185 vs 255 HP.

75 more HP is a bunch!

Unless the Chevy has some screwy gearing the Chevy will be a waaaay better towing experience for what you describe than the oil burner Ford.

If you had a 275 HP 2003 PowerStroke the advice would flop.

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

arkansasrunner
Explorer
Explorer
We travel mostly in Arkansas, Missouri & Kentucky.Some of the hills are steep & with the diesel , sometimes 15 mph by the time we get to the top. Was just thinking the chevy would handle the weight better. Chevy may only be going 15 mph at the top also, but, I am still thinking about the weigh of towing.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hannibal wrote:
Around the southeast and Arkansas, I would use the Chevy. They'll both be a test of patience. Higher HP through gear reduction equates to more torque to the rear wheels.

Horse power cannot be increased through gear ratios. The technical definition of HP is a function of torque AND time. By gearing down the output of an engine, you can increase the torque, but it increases the time required to do the work. HP can only be increased at the power source.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
arkansasrunner wrote:
I'm having a problem deciding which truck to use tolling my 5th wheel. I have a '94 Ford F250 4 x 4 7.3 Diesel 5 speed. (180 hp, Torque 338 ) I also have a '96 Chevy Crew Cab 3500 4 x 4 5.7 gas engine 5 speed. ( 255 hp torque 330 ) I know that I may be over weight on the ford a little bit. ( I think ) Our 5th is rated at 11,000 GVWR. Just want to use the saftest truck possible. Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where are you towing? Flatlands? Mountains? Small hills?

Have you ever towed in the mountains with your non-turbo IDI?

I have towed a 7K TT 10 of thousands of miles with a 200 HP turbo diesel. On the flats; beautiful. In small hills, fine. In the mountains it gets ugly with only 200 HP. I'm down to less than 30MPH on long steep mountains. And this is with a turbo engine with very little loss for elevation.

You have 15 less HP and no turbo. This gives you an idea where you are going to be at.

If you're going to tow in the mountains do yourself a favor and take the Chevy. If you're towing in the flatlands you can take the Ford and get a lot better fuel mileage.

outside the fire"

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
There was 2 versions of the 7.3 produced that same time. My parents had an 94 with the 7.3 but with the indirect injection and it was turbo. Ford took a regular 7.3 and slapped a turbo on it (rare)but they are out there, I think only produced for 1 year. The second version was called the power stroke 7.3 which shared no common parts along with the previous 7.3 or 6.9 versions. That could explain the difference that you see on the TQ or HP ratings.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

kmbelt
Explorer
Explorer
i just did some research and see where in 1994 the ratings are 210hp and 425lbft.
2014 Ram 2500, 6.4 Hemi, CC, 4x4
2010 Puma 259RBSS

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take the Chevy. Longer wheel base with the crew cab, heavier rating likely given it's a 3500 vs. the 250, and it makes more HP. Yes, it's 8 lower on torque but I doubt you'll notice.
A diesel will, of course, make it's power in an RPM range better suited for towing but given the choices I think I'd take the Chevy. My experience with GM trucks has been excellent. My experience with Fords has been terrible.

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Wow, I didn't know that the '94 7.3 L F250 diesel was rated 180 HP/338 ft-lbs torque. Makes me feel good about my little 2.8 L Jeep (w/ aftermarket tune) rated 188 HP/335 ft-lbs. Thanks for that, and best of luck making the right choice, whichever that proves to be.

They have been known to make deferent sized horses.
Gary

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
I would tow with the one that has the Cummin's engine in it.:B
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I would sell the gasser and use that money to turbo the Ford. With numbers that low on the 7.3 it must be NA.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Wow, I didn't know that the '94 7.3 L F250 diesel was rated 180 HP/338 ft-lbs torque. Makes me feel good about my little 2.8 L Jeep (w/ aftermarket tune) rated 188 HP/335 ft-lbs. Thanks for that, and best of luck making the right choice, whichever that proves to be.