cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who makes reasonably priced, lightweight, non-slide campers?

CSG
Explorer
Explorer
It used to be Lance but no more. Only two non-slide models and only one for a long bed full size truck?

Doesn't anyone make a long bed sub 2000# camper anymore? (Not talking about pop-ups like 4-Seasons).
2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)
39 REPLIES 39

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
djg wrote:
I priced it at the Toronto rv show in the spring from a dealer in Stratford Ontario Canada, but since then I purchased a camplite 10.0 from a dealer in Ottawa Canada less than the northern lite a little heavier though but I just purchased a 1 ton dually so the extra weight does not matter now, it was the sportsman model I believe a little shorter in height and no basement for a long box, they make them for both long or short box, about the same price though

Looking around some more the Northern Lite campers on RV Trader (and other sites) are the more expensive models, not the Sportsman model. So it is difficult to find the actual price of a Sportsman from web searches. Best I found was a site listing "MSRP Starting from $36100 CDN" for a Sportsman 9.6. So probably what you saw was an already discounted show price.

So you chose the Camplite. The Camplite 8.6 (seems identical to what you bought except 2 feet shorter) is my current top contender. Why did you go with the Camplite rather than Northern Lite?

A concern I have about Camplite is that I have seen posts with people saying they just bought a Camplite, but I have yet to find any discussion by someone who has had one for a while to get a longer term opinion. I like the Camplite features but it concerns me that from listening to discussion it seems not many people own these compared to other brands.

How do you like yours so far?
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

djg
Explorer
Explorer
I priced it at the Toronto rv show in the spring from a dealer in Stratford Ontario Canada, but since then I purchased a camplite 10.0 from a dealer in Ottawa Canada less than the northern lite a little heavier though but I just purchased a 1 ton dually so the extra weight does not matter now, it was the sportsman model I believe a little shorter in height and no basement for a long box, they make them for both long or short box, about the same price though
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

bobbolotune
Explorer
Explorer
djg wrote:
you can still or currently get a northern lite under 2000 lbs. Just got back from the rv show in Toronto and they have a new camper weight of 1750 lbs cost was base price of $32500 Canadian, with the us dollar as high as it is that would make the price about $25500 but the problem is backordered till sept.

Which model are you referring to? Long bed or short bed? (I am looking for long bed with minimum overhang).

A 1750 lbs Northern Lite for US$25,500 would be great, but on RV Trader they are much more expensive than that. Possibly this is a model not listed on RV Trader?
Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I seldom agree with Wintersun, but he is right on the mark recommending a used Lance 8'6", 865. There is a parallel version for a long bed, I cannot remember the number. I've seen two late models this year in the used market.I think more than brand with a used camper is the condition it is in and how used. But that assumes you know what to look for.
I would not want to be the buyer of my old Lance 165-s/Xcab with all it's been through. My 165-s weighs 1845/wet, and that's with a wooden frame, little insulation, tiny tanks(18/14/12), and no roof Air Conditioner. Those gems in the used market are out there; you just may have to put your ear to the ground and heed DJ's advice and do a little traveling.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar Campers.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a LB truck, you can use a SB camper on it . If you find a clean SB non slide , it will fit. The COG will still rest in the same place as it sits in the bed.

Do all the Lance 815 models only have one small holding tank ?
Don't know if you know about that or maybe it doesn't matter to you.
Here is a thread on the subject.
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27044325/print/true.cfm

Northstar has different width campers . Laredo is 7 ft LB and the 8.5 Adventurer is a LB model.
http://www.northstarcampers.com/online-catalog.php?headerbar=1&view=prods&parentId=15&catId=16

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer

Domo
Explorer
Explorer
SkiMore wrote:
Palomino makes sub 2000 pound hard sided TCs
http://www.palominorv.com/RealLite/

Travellite does also
http://www.travellitecampers.com/models/840sbr/840sbr.htm

There are a few others.

I recently bought a travellite travel trailer - I have spent months repairing and fixing the NEW unit due to poor quality and disregard for proper fasteners/etc.
Every system I've gotten into (electric/plump/suspension/towing) all have had serious issues that just should never have been allowed to go into the field.

Having said that - I like the layout and general look and thank goodness I'm retired and can work on this for weeks and weeks to simply get it safe enough that I have confidence it won't break down on the road.

What has happened to quality in the US. It just seems like everything you buy has to be fixed when you get it home. Travellite is a good example of that problem IMHO.

Photos and lists of problems and fixes are available.

djg
Explorer
Explorer
you can still or currently get a northern lite under 2000 lbs. Just got back from the rv show in Toronto and they have a new camper weight of 1750 lbs cost was base price of $32500 Canadian, with the us dollar as high as it is that would make the price about $25500 but the problem is backordered till sept.
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

Rollin
Explorer
Explorer
Like photomike, I like the big ten foot Northern Lites for a lot of reaons but I think it would take around 50K to get the one I'd buy. So, I guess my 1055 suites me just fine.

acudr
Explorer
Explorer
North*
Bertram

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
Bigfoot 1500 or 2500 are excellent campers.

Paul

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of 815s for sale. May have to drive a bit.

http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Lance-815-Truck-Camper-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?make=Lance%7C2279192&model=815%7C764844504&type=Truck%20Camper%7C198074&vrsn=hybrid
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

CSG
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the input. I think I'm going to be happy with my Pleasure-Way Traverse camping van for awhile longer until I see what Lance comes up with or I find a local 815 for a good price. Other than a self contained bath, the only thing I miss in the van is 4x4 but it's also not worth adding to me. I had my Lance Squire 4000 for 17 years and that sort of spoiled me for the newer rigs. The Pastime comes closest but there's so little info out there, I'll have to wait until I'm up that way later this summer and get a chance to look one over at Apache.

I kept looking at the various pop-ups but I just don't want a rig that's not really usable without the top up so it's a hard side or nothing.
2001 GMC EC 2500HD, 4x4, 6.0 V8
2002 Pleasure-Way Traverse
2002 Lexus Land Cruiser (LX470)