cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Who's Towing a 5th with a half ton?

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
How many people out there are towing a 5th wheel with a half ton truck, and the weight of your 5th wheel?
52 REPLIES 52

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I pulled my 8800lb 2005 FLAGSTAFF 8528RESS 5th wheel for about 250 miles with my 2004 F150...

Manassas Dealer told me I was good to go... Pulled it home down I95 just fine...

Finally chickened out after attempting to do I81 going to Gatlinburg...
Going down the long grades was the killer for me - had almost ZERO control on the down side of the mtn road...

The Trailer still sits in the driveway... Will be paid off next year haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1995 6 cyl F150 short bed. In 1996 I built a TC. 8 ft long. I put that TC on my 1/2 PU and put a few miles on it. The PU was basically junk at less than 50,000 miles. However it did do the job.

BTW that TC was slightly over 2000 pounds.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
At one time I did, I had a 2000 Chevy 1500 5.3 and 3:42 gears. I pulled a 6500lb small 24 foot fifth wheel with no issues. We were on the edge of payload capacity though. It can be done and depends on what 1/2 ton truck that your using. The main problem one will have is payload on the 1/2 ton trucks, but that's true for all trucks regardless of the size. From camping for 10 plus years, and being on this board for a long time, my suggestion is to find the camper that you want and buy the truck that fits that need. If you have the truck, there are smaller fifth wheels that can be pulled by a properly equipped 1/2 ton truck. Be careful on the posted weights on these campers. Go by the GVWR instead of the dry weight for a better reality of what your pulling. DONT listen to the salesman..... His only job is to separate u from ur wallet...Do your own homework and conti asking questions. Good luck keep us updated.
Kris
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
spud1957 wrote:
Well broncebill be prepared for a very wide variety of responses.

All 1/2 tons are not created equal. Might want to provide more info on the 1/2 ton you are asking about.

S

I agree, more info needed. There are some 1/2 ton trucks capable of towing certain FWs. There certainly are folks towing well over trucks capability.

Like mentioned, you will get all sorts of replies. OP should also post what FW he is considering.

Jerry

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled a 5k lb 5er with a 96 Dodge 1/2T SB with no problems whatsoever. It was the best handling combo I ever had. That 96 was about half the truck that the 1/2Ts are now. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Not a 5th wheel but I do tow a gooseneck with a ยฝt, but it is not your grocery getter ยฝt. It is considered a "heavy" ยฝt as it has a 2000# payload and is factory rated to tow 11.5K with a 5th wheel or gooseneck. The loads I generally tow are in the 7K -8K range, but I have towed 10K with no problems. I live and tow in the mountains of the west.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Craig_A
Explorer
Explorer
You can see by my post that I have an F250 with an 11500# fiver. I have two f150's and my f250 and when I pull anything over 3000#s I use the f250. It's built for towing. With the cost difference between f150 and f250 being as small as it as for the gasser, I'd highly recommend the heavier truck. They're much safer, they don't work as hard to tow, and they're made to carry and control heavy loads. A guy I work with bought a 34 foot trailer and hated towing it with his Tundra, he traded it for a Chevy HD and swears by it instead of having white knuckle while towing with his Tundra. Personal advice is get away from the half tons and look at a comparably equipped three quarter ton.
Beautiful wife of 38 years
Female Yellow Labrador Retriever
18 year old Amazon Parrot
2015 Fleetwood Southwind 36J

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Well broncebill be prepared for a very wide variety of responses.

All 1/2 tons are not created equal. Might want to provide more info on the 1/2 ton you are asking about.

S
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS