cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Will my 04 Ford Expy to TT i want?

demech73
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 04 Ford expy, eddie Bauer, 5.4, HD tow package. I got a great deal on a 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 29BHS. 6300 dry, 745 touque weight. Do you think it will tow it?
8 REPLIES 8

demech73
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Guys, We are going to get it next Saturday. Then I'm going to look for a bigger truck.

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
I briefly used a 03 Navigator which is the half brother of the Expedition (w/ 5.4L 4v engine) and towed the slightly heavier trailer in my sig on short trips of 50 miles or less. I unloaded stuff from the front storage and even disconnected the front propane tanks and put them in the rear to keep the tongue weight at 900# so I wouldn't overloaded the troublesome and expensive air suspension. It handled it fine for those short and flatland trips.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You could tow it 5 miles with a Hyundai! It will be fine.
Even though it's a 2nd gear hero up every hill, I'm actually very I pressed with the towing ability of my buddies 05 Expy. It has hauled 8 of us plus gear and an almost 6000 lb boat to MO several times. I've had a lot of F150 work trucks of every vintage and the Expy is a better tow rig.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A smaller trailer or a bigger truck for anything over 10 miles. Next thing is to forget dry weights. A TT will typically run 500 to 1000# more than the dry weight before you load any supplies on board.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Five miles? I think I'd go for it then and plan to buy a bigger TV at some point. Have fun!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

demech73
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I hate to pass this deal up. The nearest camp ground is 5 miles away. we will be going there alot. How do you think it would do towing 5 miles on flat ground. I told the wife we would have to get a bigger tv if we wanted to go any long disance. Until then do you think it would be ok for 5 miles? Thanks Sean

mbutts
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same year and equipment on my '04 Expy. I was VERY uncomfortable going from a 4,400 lbs. trailer (23') to a 29' at 7,300 lbs. Back end was just too wiggly. Made for extremely unpleasant towing. I was just 50 pounds over on hitch weight.

If you already bought the trailer, you can try putting stiffer tires on the Expy along with a high quality weight distribution hitch with anti-sway, but I think you will still not be happy with the result.
Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would not recommend it. You'll likely exceed receiver tongue rating, rear axle rating, GVWR, maybe GCWR. On top of that I do not think you'll be pleased with performance with the 4-spd at 14k pound travel weight. I would start by weighing your Expy with family loaded up and calculating how much payload is left for trailer tongue weight.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)