cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winegard Wingman

jimw606
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to install a Wingman on my antenna,butI have a clearance problem.
The antenna folds down right beside the Bath roof vent, and I have a cover over that.
There appears to be ample room to lay it down on an angle, and it would be between the bath vent and the skylight.
How hard is it to change the mount to reflect this angle on the inside.
28 REPLIES 28

hddecker
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the complete Winegard with the Jack. I did't like how the Winegard was installed and rubbing the roof, I could envision the nice hole that it was starting to rub in the roof membrane.

My old Airstream had a craddle for the mast and it never touched the roof.

The biggest benefit is you don't have to worry about leaving the mast up when you pack up and hit the road.

Richard_999
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a JACK yesterday ... It received in almost a 360 radius.
Even when pointing toward ATLANTA.. it received CHARLOTTE , 90 miles EAST !

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
rbpru wrote:
Is the JACK omni-directional or do you need to rotate it?

You have to rotate it.
It has to be pointed toward the TV tower

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
CavemanCharlie wrote:
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Like the OP I also did not have room on my roof for the Wingman addition to my Bat wing because of the A/C and vent.

I went with the Jack and was happy with it,got a lot of channels if it was pointed correctly.

Then I heard about a new one, a RAYZAR .

It is also small and would fit in the same area that the Jack was in.

Short story, I changed it out and it works even better than the Jack.

It is a alternative to the Jack and is easier to point using my signal strength meter.

I ordered it directly from Winegard for about the same price as the Jack.

After I had it on for a while I came across a discussion on a thread here on RV.Net, HERE Is that thread if any one is interested.

Good Luck

As a man that lives on the prairie I have to say if you crank that Rayzar up around here it is going to catch one heck of a lot of wind. Because the wind always blows around here it would be a bad idea in this area. A 30 MPH wind, like we have quite commonly in my area, would push against that thing and that would not be good.

Yep it may catch a bit of wind but it is rated to 70 MPH.

As stated on Page 5 of the user guide

"WARNING: Don’t travel with the antenna in the
deployed position. Stow the antenna before
traveling.If the included (16”) boom has been
installed, also stow the antenna when wind speeds
reach 70 mph or greater. If the existing boom is being
used, stow the antenna when wind speeds reach 50
mph or greater".

The wind blows in our High Deserts as strongly if not more so than the prairies and I have had no problem with it. Where as my Batwing folded up one time in high winds.:B
Buying A Rental Class C

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Is the JACK omni-directional or do you need to rotate it?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Like the OP I also did not have room on my roof for the Wingman addition to my Bat wing because of the A/C and vent.

I went with the Jack and was happy with it,got a lot of channels if it was pointed correctly.

Then I heard about a new one, a RAYZAR .

It is also small and would fit in the same area that the Jack was in.

Short story, I changed it out and it works even better than the Jack.

It is a alternative to the Jack and is easier to point using my signal strength meter.

I ordered it directly from Winegard for about the same price as the Jack.

After I had it on for a while I came across a discussion on a thread here on RV.Net, HERE Is that thread if any one is interested.

Good Luck

As a man that lives on the prairie I have to say if you crank that Rayzar up around here it is going to catch one heck of a lot of wind. Because the wind always blows around here it would be a bad idea in this area. A 30 MPH wind, like we have quite commonly in my area, would push against that thing and that would not be good.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
I have found this to be very helpful TV Helper-Free

Agreed. I have it and also find it useful.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
1mtnman wrote:
Thanks 2-Mtneter and wmoses for your installation processes

You are most welcome. It was only after I posted my short installation list that I the other more comprehensive procedure. Either way it should be easy. 🙂
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
thomasmnile wrote:
Either Jack or Wingman seem to work reasonably well to me. Think what is more important is making certain either antenna is 'aimed' as directly as possible at the station's transmitter you are trying to view. Before going on a trip, I print out a list of stations in the area we are visiting and their transmitters' GPS coordinates. Seems the digital signal is a very small 'target' to grab outta the air compared to analog signals, and antenna orientation relative to transmitter location is important.

Here is a tip if anyone dosn't already have it and has a smart phone.

I have found this to be very helpful TV Helper-Free

I have used it to aim my Jack antenna

And now my new Rayzar Antenna with great success.
Buying A Rental Class C

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The real reason that the antenna lacks clearance for a Wingman is that it was installed wrong. The instructions show that there is to be 10" clearance, but the manufacturers can't read.
I had the same problem so I cut off the first element of the Wingman after verifying with Wingard that there would still be some benefit.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Either Jack or Wingman seem to work reasonably well to me. Think what is more important is making certain either antenna is 'aimed' as directly as possible at the station's transmitter you are trying to view. Before going on a trip, I print out a list of stations in the area we are visiting and their transmitters' GPS coordinates. Seems the digital signal is a very small 'target' to grab outta the air compared to analog signals, and antenna orientation relative to transmitter location is important.

2-MTnesters
Explorer
Explorer
1mtnman wrote:

Quite welcome. Probably one of the easiest mods that I've done to our camper. Tim
The Webers
Me- Tim
DW- Dea
Pooch- JoJo boxer/lab mix
2010 Keystone Montana 3400RL Hickory Edition "The Taj Mahaul II"
2004.5 GMC Siera 2500HD SLT CC 4x4,6.6 Duramax/Allison, 3:73 gears, Firestone air bags, Reese 16K slider, TFI 45 gal fuel tank, Rhino Liner

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Wingman and did not notice any marked improvement in the number of channels received. Due to my location, I should get a lot of channels, but that is not the case.

Based on this thread, I'm going to get the Jack antenna. Thanks for the info.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II