cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter Battery Maintenance

ddottney
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a new travel trailer in late October and have yet to use it. It was winterized by the dealer and he suggested I unhook the battery and keep it inside. I assume eventually the battery will run out of juice. Should I be charging the battery periodically or can I wait til April camping season here in Ohio? Or doesn't it matter?
23 REPLIES 23

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always keep mine on the tender when not in use. This battery is going on 12 years with zero issues. For about $40, you cannot beat a battery tender.

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
Physically remove in fall, store in my basement during winter months, charge 1 time per month, then reinstall in spring time. Done this for 25+ years and never had battery problems.

Blue_Hill
Explorer
Explorer
I always bring it in for the winter. It stays in the basement and I used to put a trickle charger on for a couple of days every month. I now have an inexpensive battery maintainer and it stays connected all the time. I keep a battery maintainer connected to the generator battery too. It stays in the garage, because the battery is a pita to remove and because I want it ready to go if I need it.
2011 Gulfstream Streamlite Sport 25TSS
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Honda EU3000IS

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
facory wrote:
No need to remove the batteries from the TT. Simply keep them charged over the winter. After all, batteries in cars are outside year 'round.

Yeah, provided you can park your trailer at home. Mine is 15 miles away in a storage yard. I bring them in, put them under the workbench in the basement and charge them a few times over the winter. Works for me but I would rather just plug the trailer in and watch them as others do.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

ddottney
Explorer
Explorer
Quality Johnson wrote:
The most important thing in winter battery storage is to keep it warm, and/or keep it charged. A discharged battery will freeze and burst the case, but a fully charged battery will not freeze. So all the suggestions so far are good.

Thanks Everyone! You've helped.

facory
Explorer
Explorer
No need to remove the batteries from the TT. Simply keep them charged over the winter. After all, batteries in cars are outside year 'round.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

Quality_Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
The most important thing in winter battery storage is to keep it warm, and/or keep it charged. A discharged battery will freeze and burst the case, but a fully charged battery will not freeze. So all the suggestions so far are good.
'93 Dutchmen 18' TT, pulled by '02 Dodge Durango 5.9

Bobj616
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a solar battery charger/minder. I hope it will keep the battery topped off. It has a regulator that goes to trickle charge when the battery is at capacity and something to prevent the battery from discharging at night. Like I said this was a recent purchase so I don't know if it works as advertised yet. The lights work though!;)
2015 Arctic Fox 25Y
2013 F250 6.2

Crazy_2
Explorer
Explorer
kearlms wrote:
kirkl wrote:
I take mine off for the winter and throw a battery tender on them.

ditto!

This is what I do also, along with my other vehicles that have batteries, like the lawn mower snowmobiles ect. I got tired of replacing the batteries in them every 24 months.
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L
Grand Design Reflection 297RSDS 8200 Ish LBS dry,
Reece Dual Cam WDH

"If your dog is overweight, odds are you need more exercise"

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I leave the battery on the trailer. We keep the trailer plugged in all the time. So around once each month, I turn the disconnect switch on for a few hours.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
I've always left mine in the trailer and plugged in over the winter. Check the water once a month and that's all. The first one lasted almost 8 years, so no issues there. Otherwise, I'd take it into the basement and put it on a .5 amp trickle for a day or two once every month. That's what the guy at the battery store recommended and it works for me with all my other batteries.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

jonmad
Explorer
Explorer
kirkl wrote:

Battery in shed and on a tender.....

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Last year I brought my TT home in December and I sat in the side yard until late February. The TT was unplugged and I put the battery in the mud room under the sink.

This year I parked the TT in the backyard where I have power and kept it plugged in. I left the battery on the TT and check it monthly for water.

My TT has a variable charger as part of the 12 volt converter which reduces to a trickle charge when the battery is fully charged.

There are two pit fall to watch out for, first I know from experimentation that the phantom loads in my TT will draw down the battery if a few days if I lose shore power. Second not all converters will trickle charge, some will maintain enough voltage to boil the battery dry.

I do not know if there is an advantage to keeping the TT plugged in all winter but I do not think it hurts to keep the TV, microwave and other phantom loads warm and toasty.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

kearlms
Explorer
Explorer
kirkl wrote:

ditto!