Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wow, 6 months wait for a Chevy-Tahoe

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
A little bird told me this.

Is this because of chip shortage or signs of booming economy reported in business news today?
85 REPLIES 85

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
RV daytrader wrote:
So where are these chips made ? Overseas or in USA ? If not here, maybe they should making them here!

Under the administrationโ€™s infrastructure plan, this industry will get government support to do it here in the US.

Taiwan semi conductor is the biggest one that supply to the US.

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
So where are these chips made ? Overseas or in USA ? If not here, maybe they should making them here!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Groover wrote:
Reisender wrote:
A model X Tesla is min four months out right now. At least here in BC.

The X is in the process of a major refresh that requires an overhaul of the assembly line that should be nearing completion after 3 months of lost production. This has nothing to do with the global chip shortage. The same goes for the model S. When these two vehicles get back into production that will add even more unit volume and significantly more revenue for Tesla.

Good to know. We have a neighbour waiting for one. Iโ€™m kinda looking forward to test driving his....and that could be dangerous...from the financial aspect anyway. ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the virus there is a shortage of computer chips. The auto industry runs on the "just in time" delivery concept for parts so have no stock on hand to absorb shortages. I placed a Tacoma on order January 4 and still have no build date.
Currently Between RVs

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reisender wrote:

The X is in the process of a major refresh that requires an overhaul of the assembly line that should be nearing completion after 3 months of lost production. This has nothing to do with the global chip shortage. The same goes for the model S. When these two vehicles get back into production that will add even more unit volume and significantly more revenue for Tesla.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered a Ford Transit Connect van. These are built in Spain. Just showed up last Friday after a 7 month wait!

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
A week ago we ordered a 2021 GM 3500 SRW crew cab long box duramax. 6-7 weeks delivery.

Not too bad. Did they ask you for deposit?
. no deposit. dealer in Newcastle , wy. Ive bought from this salasman before.
22% off MSRP. cash sale , no trade. Our '07 classic lbz duramax will sell privately in days for 1/2 what we paid for it 14 years and 190k miles ago.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
A week ago we ordered a 2021 GM 3500 SRW crew cab long box duramax. 6-7 weeks delivery.

Not too bad. Did they ask you for deposit?

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
We (Mopar) are in the same boat, both cars and parts!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
"And Tesla had shortages in March that impacted production."

As I recall they were down for two days. But they still had record production.

As for Kia/Hyundai:
"Kia Motors said net profit quadrupled in the first quarter on stronger sales and equity gains from affiliated companies.

Kia, South Korea's second-largest automaker, earned 398.6 billion won (US$358 million) in the three months ended March 31, it said in a regulatory filing Friday. The company reported net profit of 97.4 billion won the same period last year.

The maker of the Forte small sedan and Sorento compact crossover SUV said sales during the quarter rose 39% to 4.86 trillion won from 3.5 trillion won a year earlier.

Kia, which exports 65% of its domestic production, is an affiliate of Hyundai Motor Co. Together they form the world's fifth-largest automotive group.

Global sales volume soared 69% to 474,625 vehicles, compared with 281,000 last year."

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
You mean make investments in chip makers, electric vehicle manufacturers and lithium mining companies.

Actually, short term, I would want to own companies that make the equipment that has to be installed in an IC manufacturing facility.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Is this because of chip shortage or signs of booming economy reported in business news today?

I am not sure how this thread got onto electric cars but as for the op's question, Both! And poor planning by GM, along with most other car makers. The only ones I know of that are not affected by the shortage are Tesla and Hyundai/Kia. They are both raking in the dough right now. Tesla's demand is so strong that they just put in a small price increase to capitalize on their market demand.

It is not a production drop off for Tesla. They had record production and sales in the first quarter but still can't keep up with demand.

SEOUL -- South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co. said on Friday it has decided to suspend production for two days starting on Monday at its Asan plant because of a chip shortage.

And Tesla had shortages in March that impacted production.

How much was the Tesla's 2020 profit? Almost $6B less than GM?
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

I am not sure how this thread got onto electric cars but as for the op's question, Both! And poor planning by GM, along with most other car makers. The only ones I know of that are not affected by the shortage are Tesla and Hyundai/Kia. They are both raking in the dough right now. Tesla's demand is so strong that they just put in a small price increase to capitalize on their market demand.

It is not a production drop off for Tesla. They had record production and sales in the first quarter but still can't keep up with demand.