cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW! $60,000 / 6000 LB Truck Camper

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2016-eagle-cap-1200-triple-slide

Everything above the trucks rails. Wouldn't this have a very high COG?

I've had 2000# standard campers that felt "tippy".

I still don't understand how these TCs can get to $60K....No motor, wheels tires, transmission, chassis, etc......And it costs as much as three economy cars......

I'd be totally freaked out unloading this monster.

But it is nice inside! I think I'd rather have a Flatbed Camper if it was me.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
51 REPLIES 51

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
How is AMLRV supposed to know how you plan to mount this camper? Flat bed/service body, etc...
Clearly this camper is more likely to be on a medium duty truck.

I am not aware of ANY camper that offers dually brackets standard...anybody?

Don't know about now, but in 2005, when I purchased my Lance 981Max they were included on it and the 1181 Max IIRC. That's what the "Max" was all about. It included about every option but the genny and solar. It also included the convection microwave, the dual heat furnace, etc.

Seems when you've got a camper that's close to $60K anyway that's a reasonable thing to do. After all, what's another thousand or so once you're in the stratosphere.

One more comment on the 981max vs. the 1181max. At least at my dealership the list on the two was exactly the same. We went with the shorter (and somewhat lighter) unit because we thought we might be pulling a horse trailer. Durn! Had we gone with the 1181 I'd probably still have it. :M
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Bedlam
billtex wrote:
How is AMLRV supposed to know how you plan to mount this camper? Flat bed/service body, etc...

Since TC's over a certain weight are generally advised to be carried on a DRW, those models should come with appropriate front jack brackets. It does not matter if you are using a pickup bed, service bed or flat bed, the the extra swig out width is required to clear the DRW.

My AF811 was designed for a SRW, so I did not expect swing out brackets. I was able to add them later since I have an atypical configuration. I don't expect someone with a SRW to buy an EC1200 if the selling dealer has any conscience or knowledge of the products he sells. The manufacturers should automatically be putting swing out brackets on any of TC's that scale close to 4000 lbs or more when they roll out of the factory.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
Sure wish FORD would bring back the "Camper Special" of the late 70s early 80s....That truck had the rear axle further back than standard and had a really neat tool box in the body side ahead of the rear wheels. PERFECT!

Plus with a much longer wheelbase, they rode like a limousine.

One would think that any good body shop person, worth his salt, could easily chop out that storage area on most trucks , install a door or doors a few shelves etc. Perfect spot for extra batteries, small genset etc, get some weight shifted to the front and more valuable storage.
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
I just noticed that dually jack brackets are OPTIONAL... Talk about nickle-and-dime-ing you to death...

That's nuts! Shame on Eagle Cap.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is cool, but it is the suspension that makes smooth ride, not long base.
My dually has 13 feet wheelbase, yet I am loosing my tooth fillings while driving empty.
Owners generally don't like long wheelbase trucks, becouse than are harder to park at grocery store.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
Wow!! Now that is cool.

hotrodfords
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
Sure wish FORD would bring back the "Camper Special" of the late 70s early 80s....That truck had the rear axle further back than standard and had a really neat tool box in the body side ahead of the rear wheels. PERFECT!

Plus with a much longer wheelbase, they rode like a limousine.

YES!!!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
I just noticed that dually jack brackets are OPTIONAL... Talk about nickle-and-dime-ing you to death...

And ... so much for thinking that a DRW is required. 🙂

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

av8rds
Explorer
Explorer
I have to say my EC1160 rides better than my shorter(height and length)/lighter Lance 992 ever did.

I dont have the weight slips here but my 13330lb rated F-350 was just barely at max limit(60lbs over) when I picked it up. So add all your junk and what not I think with a 14K rated truck you are fine IMO anyway

I'm gonna weigh this on the way out tomorrow and see where I'm at.
'06 X-cab Powerstroke Dually 4x4
'75 Ford Bronco Rockcrawler
'08 Land Cruiser Buggy

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
FreebirdFlies wrote:
I like the long WB on the Camper Special, but that spare tire mount would get in the way too often.....
Some places with a high curb would have you high centering on that spare in the curb cut.

Another problem is that the camper has to be made to accommodate the wheel wells being closer to the tailgate. All three of the campers I've owned have had a little bump-out on at least one side that uses all of the space behind the wheel well. If you can't push the camper all the way into the bed because it hits the wheel well before hitting the front wall of the bed, you aren't going to be able to take advantage of the longer wheelbase.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
2BLAZERS wrote:
I'd bet it would be a thousand pounds heavier ready to camp than my AF 1150 so no thanks for my truck. I think it is really cool, really roomy but I just couldn't get myself to pay that much for a TC and for towing my usually toy box I'd for sure have to get a Ram 5500 Flatbed.

For those with a 550/5500 flatbed I think it would make a great camper.

I was thinking the same thing!!
Scott
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
I like the long WB on the Camper Special, but that spare tire mount would get in the way too often.....
Some places with a high curb would have you high centering on that spare in the curb cut.