cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Truck Camper AGM battery?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using just cheap regular batteries for my RV needs and they have lasted me fine for the money..My truck camper only can take one battery in the compartment provided by Lance...

I want to get one really good AGM battery(Can't afford Lithium) either group 24 or 27 that is AGM so I can use it for other things including emergencies in the house with an inverter..I have been looking on the net and it get's old and the reviews from some are just crazy..

Lifeline/NorthStar both have excellent longevity close to 1,000 cycles then Renogy gel comes in at 700+ and all are right at $300 give or take..

So what is the best brand RV AGM battery in your opinion?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
63 REPLIES 63

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using Deka AGM batteries, size 24. First set lasted 8 years but most of that time was with the crappy charger which came with the camper. I upgraded to a 3-stage charger compatible with AGM batteries so I'm hoping the new batteries last longer.
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
Hemi Joel wrote:
How about this one? I know nothing about it, except it is cheap for a group 31 AGM.

ebay AGM

That battery is made offshore, I would much rather buy “made in America”, and support American workers.

I found some reviews on Amazon where the purchasers claim to have tested the battery, and it only provided 50% of the rated amp hours.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
StirCrazy wrote:
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
AGM batteries are design for working upside down, or in applications where extreme shaking happens.
What you do with your camper to require something like that?

It lets you put a battery into a tight space where adding or checking water would be a royal PITA. Mine are crammed in at angle and it was install and forget. No watering systems or any other thing to bother with ever. It's a "Keep it simple stupid", solution

just buy a battery watering system. I got mine off amazon (Canada)for 50 bucks. makes it easy as heck to top off water, I am even going to order a 4 GC set up for my 5th wheel now for the pure convenience.

Steve

you are still thinking of the batteries in a vertical orientation, AGMs can be stacked on their sides or tilted and need zero attention
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buzzcut1 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
AGM batteries are design for working upside down, or in applications where extreme shaking happens.

It lets you put a battery into a tight space where adding or checking water would be a royal PITA. Mine are crammed in at angle and it was install and forget. No watering systems or any other thing to bother with ever. It's a "Keep it simple stupid", solution

just buy a battery watering system. I got mine off amazon (Canada)for 50 bucks. makes it easy as heck to top off water, I am even going to order a 4 GC set up for my 5th wheel now for the pure convenience.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Hemi Joel wrote:
How about this one? I know nothing about it, except it is cheap for a group 31 AGM.

ebay AGM

That battery is made offshore, I would much rather buy “made in America”, and support American workers.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:

What Buzzcut said mostly..Putting batteries in the wheel well makes it very difficult to service and the heavier the battery,the worse it is to pull it through that tiny opening..LOL

I was going to go 6-volt but the same problem exist unless I went AGM 6-volt and there really spendy..

My main reason for another battery is for my Engel compressor fridge/freezer..I want to be able to move the battery at will to where ever I want the unit and not worry about ventilation as much.The Engel only pulls .67(rounded up) amps per hour as measured by a RV.Net person (2manytoyz)that measured the exact same unit I have at 18 amps in 27 hours...So even a group 24 AGM would work just fine for a couple days without going below 50%..

There is a new deep cycle battery out I had never heard of,MotoBat that has some impressive amp hour numbers for each group size,but it is spendy also and not knowing much about them I am leary of spending that much on one..

Lifeline are expensive but it appears there worth it..I will be looking for a special on them in the very near future.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I’d be suspicious of that one. It’s awfully light for a group 31, and the amp hours are low.

It may not really be an AGM. They use the acronyms SLA, AGM, and VRLA in the description. SLA and VRLA can be used interchangeably, but AGM is a particular type of SLA that will have specific construction inside.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer

ebay AGM
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a group 31 VMAX Tanks AGM that’s 5 years old, and without any scientific data, charts, graphs or logs to support it I can definitively say that it’s still going strong.

Bigly strong in fact. :W

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Gel batteries are not well suited to RV use.

I'd pick the largest amp-hour capacity AGM that fits in the available space.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
Kayteg1 wrote:

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap golf-cart batteries last for 12-15 years

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
+3 for Lifeline AGM batteries, first pair went 10 years, second set still going strong.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for Lifeline. And I recommend against GEL. AGM & GEL are not the same.