Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

salvage title

teriffictom
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello,

I am hoping someone might have an idea to help my situation.
My Okanagan camper was in an accident and the other drivers insurance decided it was a total loss and paid me for it. They paid me less because i decided to keep it. they never gave me anything to sign other then a check. They did tell me they might put a salvage title on it.I live in California. California does not have title/registrations for cab over campers.

First question is how would they put a salvage title on something with out a title. They could not answer that question other then just wait to see what happens. My attorney had the same answer. My insurance had not the slightest clue. and Ca DMV has no idea either.
second question is my insurance told me they will no longer insure it if gets a salvage title. Anyone know of an insurance company that does insure salvage campers?

I have fixed the camper and you can not tell it was ever in an accident.

Thank you
16 REPLIES 16

teriffictom
Explorer II
Explorer II

Just a follow up one year from accident.

When I went to renew the trucks registration this year DMV told me they were informed by insurance the truck was salvaged so I had to get it inspected and a new salvage title issued. Side note because the truck has a gvwr over 10k lbs. most shops were limited to inspecting vehicles under 10k lbs. I ended up having to go to a big rig repair facility and DMV was really confused by the commercial certificate inspection certificate instead of the normal under 10k lbs certificate. Took me several trips  to DMV to get it all in order.

As for the camper I was told truck campers fall under jurisdiction of Department of housing and not DMV in California. My camper insurance did renew so they do not consider it a salvage title apparently.

I hope no one ever has to go thru this but if you do maybe my experience will help

teriffictom
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
Change insurance companies. Also as cargo wouldn't the truck camper be covered by the vehicle policy?

its very wishy washy what they will cover for campers. the insurance tried t tel me the tie downs and turn buckles were not necessary so they wouldn't cover them. That's why i had to higher an attorney. i had a letter from torklift telling me they could not be reused and would be about $3,000 to replace what was damaged.There adjusters gave them a $0 dollar value.

Even if my insurance were to consider it cargo I am certain they would not cover the $40,000 for the camper, or my rates would be sky high.

What ever the correct answers are I am fine with. I just don't like surprises later on.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is a classic case of figure out your situation because we cannot possibly tell you what the definitive answer is here. Other than you profited once off of the camper being wrecked. In theory you’re double dipping by going for a second round.
Until the actual insurance agents and adjusters show up here, the rest is speculation.

And for those that think a vehicle/toy needs to have a title to be able to or required to (if one wishes to have insurance) have insurance, you may want to refrain from further replies as you’re mistaken.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change insurance companies. Also as cargo wouldn't the truck camper be covered by the vehicle policy?
Puma 30RKSS

teriffictom
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tyler0215 wrote:
Don't worry about it. The ins. co. can't issue a salvage title. The state issues titles.

I don't think I mentioned this. My concern is if I continue to pay for full coverage and need to make a claim will the insurance deny the claim since its already been paid out on once. My insurance and the driver that hit me are the same company.

thanks again for everyone's input

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about it. The ins. co. can't issue a salvage title. The state issues titles.

teriffictom
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
Do truck campers even have VINs?

yes it has a VIN but DMV has no record of it because its never registered with them

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do truck campers even have VINs?
Puma 30RKSS

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't get a title in most states, as mentioned. I bought one camper in Florida and got a Certificate of Origin from Lance. Looks just like a title, including a place to sign off a sale on the back. I also bought one in Delaware, and got the same Certificate of Origin from Lance as well.

I do not live in a state that requires Truck Campers to have a Title. I sold one of the campers a couple years ago. The Certificate of Origin was sufficient for the sale. If you do not have CoO, you should speak to the Manufacturer or the dealer where you purchased it originially.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

teriffictom
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to register your truck camper in nine states: Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, and Washington. i live in california

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s a truck camper not a motor vehicle therefore no title. They don’t have titles for tents either

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I find it hard to believe no title.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Find something else to worry about.
And stop paying an attorney?
And btw if a branded title was to be issued, you agreed to it by keeping the camper. That should have been in your consideration when negotiating the residual value of the camper that you deducted from the payout.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since they never took possession or received a signed title from you, they can not issue a salvage title.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore