cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So what did you do to your Truck Camper today?

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
I saw these threads in some of the other Open Roads RV Forums, but didn't see one for TCs.

I'll start...

I installed Interior LED puck lights and a 12v power outlet.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.
3,114 REPLIES 3,114

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Continued my search for a used Circline line Fluorescent Fixture to replace the light in my kitchen with. Love my twin 15 watt tube fixture I put in over the dinette so much, can't wait to get a circline to use in the kitchen (Circular Fluorescent fixture shines light evenly all around vs the regular straight tube units).

Hopefully, when I'm done, I'll have around 3200 lumens worth of light in the camper, good by dim interior and eye strain, hello well lit kitchen :).
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Found out that I need to put a cover over the AC during heavy snow storms or water gets inside. I will have to replace the seal this year and get a cover. I tarped it today since there is another storm today.....presently windy as all getup and raining hard. Temp 38* and dropping, sposed to get 7-12 more inches of snow tonight.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Chief_2
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a place that may held price wise for new springs.
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7593
2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chief 2 wrote:
You may not have to buy all new leaf springs. You can just have a leaf added to your curret set up. Talk with a spring shop. You may be surprised how inexpensive it may be.

That's exactly what I was planning to do at this point, don't need to go to a spring shop to disassemble and add a leaf to a spring pack, I've already done it before when I was working on my old half-ton suspension several years ago. ๐Ÿ™‚

I originally considered simply replacing the whole pack with a thicker pack that's ready made since the current springs are now 20 years old, but gas prices shot up and I can no longer afford to drop close to $700 for said springs and plan to go the less expensive add-a-leaf to the main pack alternative route and replace the damaged bellows (Which I ordered and should be here this coming week).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
changed out an empty propane tank and added a brand new first aid kit that is lay person friendly and let mother nature wash the rig

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

noxinnhoj
Explorer
Explorer
Finally a sunny day here in vancouver,took the camping world cover off,that was a good investment,cant understand why some t.c. owners dont cover in the rainy pacific northwest.Flushed out the pink stuff,fired up the hot water heater,furnace,stove and fridge,oh the fridge,my beers got cold quick!I am so happy everything is working top notch,and best of all,no leaks...almost ready for our first trip on the easter weekend ๐Ÿ™‚
1995 silverado dually,2005 lance 915 lite

Chief_2
Explorer
Explorer
You may not have to buy all new leaf springs. You can just have a leaf added to your curret set up. Talk with a spring shop. You may be surprised how inexpensive it may be.
2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
sirdrakejr wrote:
Look at the Helwig add on spring for the existing springs. They may work as well for you.
Frank

I'll take a look, the BDS is an actual curved leaf that goes in at the bottom of the spring pack that's roughly 3/4" thick, just above the flat overload spring (You actually pull and replace the pin) and adds a substantial amount of weight capacity to the pack (The figure off my last ones said between 700-1000lbs per pack depending on the age of the original springs).

I used this kit before on my half-ton truck and it added quite a bit of capacity to the rear springs, to the point where it took over a 1000lbs to level the rear end out with the front (it sat high after that).

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

sirdrakejr
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Helwig add on spring for the existing springs. They may work as well for you.
Frank
2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started shopping around for a BDS add-a-leaf kit for my truck's leaf spring packs, can't afford to buy a whole new set of leaf springs with current gas prices and still potentially go east in September, so going the less expensive route to get a similar result.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
iwon415 wrote:
Yes the Qwik fill kit for 2 batteries. Got a great price from Tweetys, no sales tax. Cheaper than Camping World by far.

How do you like yours? Just getting the hang of it. Is it easy to tell when they are full from the bulb being hard to squeeze?

So long as the float valves are working, when the battery reaches full you will not be able to squeeze the bulb.

I am going to have to likely replace the current twin battery system on my onboard batteries (5 years old), Qwik-Fill changed the fitting for the quick disconnect and the gas valving at the top keeps the water in the batteries fine but when it closes, burps the good water coming from the jug out instead of firming up the bulb.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

AITG
Explorer
Explorer
De-winterized and got the refrigerator LP cleaned and adjusted. Put all the freezables back on board. Wiped down counters and added Pure Power and 2 gal of water to the black tank.

Four days ago I had 6 Michelins installed so today I got the front end alignment checked with the camper on the truck. Took the camper back off, washed the truck and put it away for a few days.

Now, we're ready for Florida next month.
The Big Dog.
2003 Chev ECLB DRW Duramax LB7
2003 Lance 1121
My idea of roughing it is single ply toilet paper.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
De-winterized the rig today and flushed the h/w heater. I do this every year but for some reason there was a lot more of what appeared to be calcium particles coming out of the tank. I also gave the bathroom a super cleaning since I had the Clorox in the system.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced a non-adjustable 2 stage solar controller (14.4v, 13.5 @ 90%), with a single stage adjustable voltage type. This is on my supplemental 140w system...The 300w main system uses a MPPT 14.4v single stage.

Lesson learned, mixing different type of charge controllers is not an efficient idea. Previously, at 90% charge the 2 stage controller would drop to 13.5v and cause the 2 panel 140w system to drop out. Like-kind controllers will now work in concert (140w + 300w) to enhance my race against the setting sun!

iwon415
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the Qwik fill kit for 2 batteries. Got a great price from Tweetys, no sales tax. Cheaper than Camping World by far.

How do you like yours? Just getting the hang of it. Is it easy to tell when they are full from the bulb being hard to squeeze?