cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgate removal 2019 Chevy 3500HD

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wiring in my new Chevy 3500 tailgate looks more complicated than in my 2013 truck. Time to remove the tailgate and load the camper on. Would appreciate input from anyone who has done this. Thanks.
27 REPLIES 27

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to update this as I have found a company that will make a camera harness so you can relocate where you have the tailgate camera connection. 

https://harnessdr.com/product/2016-2019-silverado-sierra-reverse-camera-extension-harness-36/ 

A couple of pictures of mine:

harness.JPGTailgate camera connected .JPG

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
MORESNOW ...Thanks for good shortcut!...

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Bradymydog wrote:
On my 2018 GMC 3500 SRW, Denali, the camera wire/locking tailgate plug is located between the spare tire and the factory trailer hitch. It's tight to get at without lowering the spare tire. There is a red sliding plastic locking tab which secures the plug. Slide the red locking tab away from the plug (about 3/8") with your finger nail or screwdriver but do not remove it. The tab on the plug can be depressed and the plug will separate. I plan on making or buying a short extension so that I can pull the plug through the opening in the body and unplug it without crawling under the truck. Also on my truck the support/stop cables are retained by a shoulder bolt which must be removed in order to remove the tailgate as opposed to the spring device on previous models.

You can remove the license plate (2 screws)and have easy access to the connections without having to lower the spare tire on a GM pickup.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2018 GMC 3500 SRW, Denali, the camera wire/locking tailgate plug is located between the spare tire and the factory trailer hitch. It's tight to get at without lowering the spare tire. There is a red sliding plastic locking tab which secures the plug. Slide the red locking tab away from the plug (about 3/8") with your finger nail or screwdriver but do not remove it. The tab on the plug can be depressed and the plug will separate. I plan on making or buying a short extension so that I can pull the plug through the opening in the body and unplug it without crawling under the truck. Also on my truck the support/stop cables are retained by a shoulder bolt which must be removed in order to remove the tailgate as opposed to the spring device on previous models.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to do with the wires but...My Ram tailgate is just a little bit heavier than I want to handle alone. Dropping it on a concrete driveway would be costly. Since I already had a Harbor Freight engine hoist I use that. I disconnect a cable and attach a length of small chain to the eye of the cable with a small (1/4"?) shackle, then do the same with the other cable. Both lengths of chain are connected to a shackle and then to the hoist hook. If you play with the length of chains you will get it where you can lift the tailgate to the right angle before you run out of lift of the hoist. I keep a towel on the top of the numper just in case.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
PhilR.... Iโ€™ll be doing the same thing in a few weeks so keep me posted & check your messages....PLEASE!...Truck is on a rail car.....

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you all for the advice. The 2019 truck differs from my 2013 as the tailgate has wiring for the remote tailgate lock in addition to the camera wiring. Also, the wire that remains attached to the tailgate is longer and the connector is different. To be safe...I stopped at the dealer and they unpluged and zip tied the long wire, ready for tailgate removal.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Ford supplied me with plugs to put into disconnected wires to protect them from dirt.
Check if Dodge has those too.
I have to go under the bumper to disconnect.

X2 on the ram

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
hedge wrote:
well since it seems to be going a bit off the rails I'll do my part. When I took mine off the first time (2017 F350) I got the wires disconnected fine but then realized I couldn't open it without the connection. Had to re-connect it to release the tailgate and start over. Yours may be the same.

Glad to hear I am not the only one to do that. Kind of makes you miss the days of manual lever tailgates that are smaller and weigh a lot less. Super easy to handle and take off and on.

OP, and those that care. Sorry to not post specific help.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
well since it seems to be going a bit off the rails I'll do my part. When I took mine off the first time (2017 F350) I got the wires disconnected fine but then realized I couldn't open it without the connection. Had to re-connect it to release the tailgate and start over. Yours may be the same.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP doesnโ€™t seem to think his 2013 is like his 2019 of the same brand. The plug might be the issue, but OP doesnโ€™t say.

In any case, itโ€™s not up to any of us to figure out whatโ€™s most helpful. Itโ€™s up to the OP who has the issue.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2015, I followed the camera cable up to an electrical box under the bed, on the plug there is a red lock tab that you slide back, then depress the tab on the plug and it should disconnect. There is a dummy plug stored next to the camera plug that you use to protect the open connection. Good luck.

"This" .....exactly same on my 2016 GMC 3500....
IMHO any year GMC is probably closer in design to a 2019 than a Ford or Dodge....this stupid type of posting seen here is why this forum is dying... helpful posters are not much inclined to stay here to be ridiculed by idiots.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just follow the cable under the truck. Should be a connection somewhere. Like others said, you likely got some dummy plugs to protect the unplugged harness.

As a new F450 owner, i can second how frigging heavy the tailgate is. I bought a cheapo electric hoist for mine. Its just a bit too large and heavy to handle safely alone.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
jimh425 wrote:
Wow, OP asks about a new one and gets a comment about a 2015. ๐Ÿ˜„

Like I said.....

Ha ha.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member