cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgate removal 2019 Chevy 3500HD

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
The wiring in my new Chevy 3500 tailgate looks more complicated than in my 2013 truck. Time to remove the tailgate and load the camper on. Would appreciate input from anyone who has done this. Thanks.
27 REPLIES 27

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You guys are funny. When somebody asks about driving Chevy on black ice, you won't listen to Ford owners having lot of practice in it?

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Wow, OP asks about a new one and gets a comment about a 2015. ๐Ÿ˜„

Like I said.....

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, OP asks about a new one and gets a comment about a 2015. ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, the OP asks about a tailgate on a GM truck and gets talk about Fords and Rams.
On my 2015, I followed the camera cable up to an electrical box under the bed, on the plug there is a red lock tab that you slide back, then depress the tab on the plug and it should disconnect. There is a dummy plug stored next to the camera plug that you use to protect the open connection. Good luck.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
No one ever expected anyone to use a lil ol Chevy for a TC.. that's why they wired it up so well.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Side question.
Anybody knows how those heavily advertised Chevy tailgates weight?
Those with top dropping down and than folding step?
Just curious as my tailgate hangs at garage ceiling and I have no intention to to touch it for at least 20 years.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are talking โ€œnewโ€ fancy extra feature tailgate, be also aware of the increased weight. For instance, my F450 tailgate, and easier to lower springs with step weighs about twice what my previous truck, F350 tailgate weighed. My guess is the F450 newer step tailgate weighs about 90 lbs or so.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford supplied me with plugs to put into disconnected wires to protect them from dirt.
Check if Dodge has those too.
I have to go under the bumper to disconnect.

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
fyi - on my 2015 F350, the tailgate lifted off easily, but I noticed a black plastic bushing on the truck-right-side male pivot pin that risked falling off without the tailgate female slot holding it in place. I threw a few wraps of electrical tape on it, lest it fall off an be a royal pain to replace.

--SiletzSpey

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Things sure got more complex than my 97 Ford. I just pop off the cables and my wife and I remove it. Of course being a 97, the tailgate actually weighs something unlike the paper thin ones made today...lol My 97 Tailgate weighs around 75 pounds give or take.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I found this:....not a 3500HD, but probably similar. At. least it's a starting point.

Tailgate Removal Video (GM)

Scroll down for the video....
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II
2016 Chevy 3500 here. Backup camera the only wiring to unhook to remove tailgate and it's just a single plug to unhook. I remember it has locking tabs so don't break those an your good to go.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
I would strongly suggest that you have your dealer show you how. The backup camera disconnect cable can be a little tricky.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side