cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck Camper Gap

The_Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 GMC Dually Long Bed and a 2007 Okanagan Truck Camper I've recently purchased. I've had campers and fifth wheels before but not a truck camper.

There is a gap between the truck side and the camper of about 3 inches. I was going to put some shim material like rigid insulation board to take up the gap and prevent any "roll" in the truck camper. I wondered if anyone else had this problem. Or is it a problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael
2007 Okanagan 117
2018 Thunderbolt 420 AMP Toy Hauler
2007 GMC Sierra 3500 Classic
6 REPLIES 6

The_Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the assistance, it is appreciated.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oh chit. I didnโ€™t realize he was talking about the top of the bed sidesโ€ฆbut I think he was.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you talking about the gap between the top of the bed rail and the underside of the camper? Leave it be.

You are worrying about a nonexistent problem.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Its not a problem. All trucks with slide in campers have some degree of space between top of side bed rails and campers side wings. Ours is about 1 1/2" gap.
Camper is designed to be supported by its floor, not the side wings. Like wise truck bed is designed to support weight by its floor, not the side rails.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The tie downs prevent any roll so supporting the camper wings is not necessary.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
In front you want a couple inch gap or whatever it takes to keep it from contacting the front of the bed. If the bumpers donโ€™t work shim it with boards or whatever.
But no need to shim it tight to the sides. Although if you do, block it against the wheel wells but not tight.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold