cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck camper title?

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a used truck camper and almost everyone I talk to says they do not have a title. Is this the norm, just wondering. I live in Arizona and I want everything to be legal. Thanks,
32 REPLIES 32

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
What does the AZ DMV say?

Too easyโ€ฆ.letโ€™s speculate for a while longer pleaseโ€ฆ

You find a definitive answer. I dare you.

They can't give you a straight answer at the DMV. "Depends on what the definition of "is" is."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
specta wrote:
Manufactures didn't issue camper titles until 2015.

I don't know when they started with titles, but my 2012 Arctic Fox had one.
So did my 05 and 03, in WA. Itโ€™s state dependent whether they turn the MCO into a title.
Just like boats and other recreational vehicles. Have lived in states that would title a boat and not the trailer, and vice versa. Same with dirt bikes and atvs.
When we purchased our new '19 truck camper from a dealer in OR, we asked for the MCO (manufacturer's certificate of origin). At the time we lived in AZ, so no real need for it. Hanging on to it though. If we sell our TC to someone who lives in a state that does require a truck camper to be registered/titled, or we move to a state that requires it, having the MCO should help the process go a lot smoother.

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
Ask the seller to see their bill of sale from when they bought it. Another question is: if the seller has it financed and you buy it, could it get repossessed if they didn't pay off the loan?

big_jeff1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody for the quick replies. After the fact I searched this topic and pretty much came to the same conclusion. I believe AZ has no titles for truck campers but not 100%. My only concern is buying something with large amounts of cash and really not knowing if it's stolen, I'm buying from the legal owner, etc. But getting a bill of sale seems to be the way to go. Thanks all.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tyler0215 wrote:

Too easyโ€ฆ.letโ€™s speculate for a while longer pleaseโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If your state does not consider a truck camper a vehicle, then you will not be able to get a title. Some states do. Some states don't. I'm surprised NY doesn't consider them vehicles. Even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut, I guess.

How do you prove you own your TV, your refrigerator? You keep the receipt.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

I was told that by the DMV here in Utah.

I have two campers, a 1995 and a 1996, I applied for and received titles for both of them.

I like having proof of ownership but that's just me.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

BigSwick
Explorer
Explorer
In Florida, if you buy from an individual and not a dealer-NO sales tax!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bedlam wrote:
specta wrote:

So did my 05 and 03, in WA. Itโ€™s state dependent whether they turn the MCO into a title.
Just like boats and other recreational vehicles. Have lived in states that would title a boat and not the trailer, and vice versa. Same with dirt bikes and atvs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
Before we get any further ahead,..can we define TITLE ? So we are all on the same page.

Bedlam
specta wrote:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
In California a truck camper is considered cargo, and a truck with a camper is considered a truck carrying a load. Technically it is illegal to put your truck license plate on the camper in California though I doubt this has ever been cited.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I read somewhere they are considered cargo in some places. 2 - 3 tons of cargo? I've had three and no title in NY and now FL.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new 2019 truck camper in FL.. no title, just bill of sale. Camper does not have a plate in FL.