cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck Campers and Boating?

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm hoping to purchase a pop-up TC to overnight so I can make 2-3 day fishing trips to the lake splitting the driving over 2 days. Boat mooring is not available so boat goes back on the trailer at night. How does launching work out after spending the night in the TC? Are there pitfalls I'm might be overlooking? Thanks Paul
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell
19 REPLIES 19

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems like the ability to unload/reload TC quickly and easily would resolve many issues like not forcing the wife to get up to launch, perhaps losing the spot where camped, and not having to batten down the hatches in order to launch.

Beautiful spot Kayteg1 !
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Relatively easy to launch and retrieve with a Porta-bote.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the setup.
Even my boat is below 3000lb with the trailer, my 12' camper puts 4 ft long stinger pretty low, so I did not even try to launch with camper.
Stinger made for added convenience btw.
I could stop with boat already floating on the trailer, while driver door was still over dry concrete.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not a big deal assuming you can backup. Some people unload at the campsite which is an option as well.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
I find that launching my Seaway 18 Sportsman CC a whole lot easier when I have my camper on the truck if I use my front hitch. There is no question as to where the boat is heading when it’s right in front of your face. I have a roller trailer, so when the back of the boat is in the water, I unhook it from the trailer and roll the truck until my tires hit the water, brake to stop and the boat pops right in the water. Backwards,no issues...frontwards, extreme anxiety. I always have the terror that I’m going to hit the gas instead of the brake. I hate the thought of starring in a YouTube video.