cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bypsssing grapevine

Gdog2
Explorer
Explorer

And my son has 35 ft pulling a trailer/car.  Can you give me the best route bypsssing the grapevine. 

4 REPLIES 4

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II

Is he heading North or South? If headed North the grapevine is a big long downhill. He can go out around Lancaster if he's unsure of his brakes. If heading  South and he has no problems climbing hills the drop down int LA is not that bad.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

I believe he's referring to the pass on I-5 leading north out of Los Angeles. It's a good climb but nothing outrageous.

Depending on where the OP is heading, he could take C-14 east towards Lancaster before turning north or he could stick to the coast. Both options add a lot of miles and you still have to cross over the mountains at some point if trying to get to the central valley.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

You are posting this in the community feedback section which is for issues with the website itself. Hopefully the moderators will move it to the appropriate section. Also, no idea what the "grapevine" is. I am guessing, if you know, you know, but I never heard of it. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

The 'Grapevine' is the section of Interstate 5 north between Los Angeles and Bakersfield.  Specifically, the north side of the pass between Tejon Summit and Bakersfield.  A long grade, but well within the safe capacities of any modern vehicle and trailer combination.  

The old highway, before the interstate was built, was called the grapevine for the numerous curves and very steep grades on a narrow knifeblade ridgetop.  Portions of the old highway still exist, and you can see how the road got its nickname.  I swear on some of those old curves you can see the rear of your own vehicle in front of you.

After the interstate was built, the name stuck around.  

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~