cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat Towing Ford Fiesta

svjim
Explorer
Explorer

Looking to tow a ford fiesta with auto transmission. Looks like this is doable but the battery has to be disconnected. Can you have a disconnect switch installed in the Fiesta instead of having to physically disconnect the negative cable?

Also I would greatly appreciate any comments from persons towing a fiesta with an auto transmission,

2014 Adventurer 86SBS
1999 F250 HD 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens
Hellwig Big Wig Anti-Sway bars
5 REPLIES 5

lightfoot
Explorer III
Explorer III

Have you checked with either Ford or your owners manual to be sure that you can tow with all 4 wheels on the road. not all autos with automatic trans can be flat towed.

USN EN2
2012 Ford F250 SC, 6.7L TD
2015 Voltage 3200
2004 Honda GL1800 Reverse Trike

Thank you. Yes, I am fully aware of issues with flat towing of autos with automatic transmission. The Ford Fiesta (at least earlier ones) can be flat towed.

2014 Adventurer 86SBS
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens

Thank you. Yes I guess that is so, but I was more interested in why the battery had to be disconnected. I saw a video where you needed to disconnect the battery when flat towing, Turned out it was because of the anti theft system,

2014 Adventurer 86SBS
Bilstein Shocks,Timbrens

Most likely due to a draw on the batts when the key is turned. The key needs to be turned to free up the steering to allow the vehicle to make turns, as a result there's probably some electronics that come on with it. You'd end up with a dead battery if left on for any length of time. Hence disconnecting the battery. You can also run a charge line from the motorhome to the car but in this case a disconnect is probably better. Are you planning on getting a supplemental braking system as well? Some of those take power. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

You can install a battery disconnect on any vehicle, provided the wiring is accessible and take any considerations for multiple batteries. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS