cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ARPrvSafe

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Since we decided to keep our Norcold N821 instead of going residential, I looked around for safety features. I pulled my fridge our and checked all the cooling tubes. They have minor rust but not bad. Another gizmo I found is the ARPrvSafe. This device stores your normal fridge operating temp, and then through a sensor, relay, and control box, will turn your fridge off if the boiler tube exceeds your normal temperature range. It appears well designed and built. It is not a plug and play device so plan on spending a bit of time doing an install. If I was in a hurry, I could have done it in a couple hours but I wanted a display, extra led, and audible alarm too.
10 REPLIES 10

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
Pirate

The data logging will OPEN your eyes to what's really happening
Download the software from the ARP web site along with the many free documents. The controller outputs a data stream via a 5 or 6 pin in line connector, which I belive is a simple RS232 5Vdc data stream. I use an embedded micro processor conversion cable to get USB serial data to the rigs computer system. The controller outputs both a deliminated text file and two MS Excel formated data streams 2003 / 2007. Take a look at the supplied Excel templates which you can easily optimize for your unique situation.

A few degrees off level and **WOW** the temp climbs
Hooked up the cable and program today. Yes, I can see the "live" temp readings from the unit. What would be nice is to watch this as I drive around and see it live. Only way would be to leave the laptop on the dash with a USB extension cord.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
The mechinical unit is closer to 5 bucks than 20, it is already on the market, several dozen versions of it, you just need to pick the right temp.. Disc Thermal Switches such as used on high-temp fans and such, i have 4 of them in this Motor home.. Alas, I have no clue as to the proper cut out temp.

I also like to keep it very level.
The device my be 5 bucks but this builder put it in to a nice package, and nice controller, led display, and documentation for those of us they don't have the time or inclination to do it the cheap way. The price for this wasn't bad at all considering all you get for the money.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate

The data logging will OPEN your eyes to what's really happening
Download the software from the ARP web site along with the many free documents. The controller outputs a data stream via a 5 or 6 pin in line connector, which I belive is a simple RS232 5Vdc data stream. I use an embedded micro processor conversion cable to get USB serial data to the rigs computer system. The controller outputs both a deliminated text file and two MS Excel formated data streams 2003 / 2007. Take a look at the supplied Excel templates which you can easily optimize for your unique situation.

A few degrees off level and **WOW** the temp climbs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The mechinical unit is closer to 5 bucks than 20, it is already on the market, several dozen versions of it, you just need to pick the right temp.. Disc Thermal Switches such as used on high-temp fans and such, i have 4 of them in this Motor home.. Alas, I have no clue as to the proper cut out temp.

I also like to keep it very level.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
KJINTF wrote:
I'm very impressed with my ARP w/it's data logging capabilities
Logs temps every 2 seconds or so into an excel file - makes it very easy to really see what's happening regarding those temperatures under all conditions.
As stated it's not really a plug and play device.
Not worried about the hundred $'s or so which is less than a 1/2 of a tank of gasoline. My testing/data logging of on-level & off-level operation opened my eyes to the actual temps.
Hey, I'm not too clear on the data recording. Do you have to have the cable hooked up to a notebook to record?

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
I'm very impressed with my ARP w/it's data logging capabilities
Logs temps every 2 seconds or so into an excel file - makes it very easy to really see what's happening regarding those temperatures under all conditions.
As stated it's not really a plug and play device.
Not worried about the hundred $'s or so which is less than a 1/2 of a tank of gasoline. My testing/data logging of on-level & off-level operation opened my eyes to the actual temps.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
doughere wrote:
How many refrigerators fail due to an overheated boiler ??? Not guesses, not estimates, but facts?

Appears to be a severely over-engineered product for its use; a simple high limit control is all this appears to be. If something like this is needed, a simple $20 mechanical limit would do the job just fine.

I'll keep my $120 thank you.

Doug
Whatever turns you on. I'll say that because of this install, I decided to remove my refer for inspection. I have a wire bundle that travelled up the wall near the top of the flue tube. The insulation outer layer was burned off a 120.v wire. The back of the fridge had burn marks near the top of the tube. So, do they get hot, you bet they do. Until you design and market this simple $20 mechanical limit, this product worked for me. I don't mind paying some extra money for safety.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
How many refrigerators fail due to an overheated boiler ??? Not guesses, not estimates, but facts?

Appears to be a severely over-engineered product for its use; a simple high limit control is all this appears to be. If something like this is needed, a simple $20 mechanical limit would do the job just fine.

I'll keep my $120 thank you.

Doug

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the heads up on a new product. I have already replaced one cooling unit.
Installed the ARP a month ago.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I personally don't have a absorbsion fridge but if I did, I would seriously consider adding the ARP..

But you are a brave soul posting anything on this forum that isn't within the normally accepted items.. I got blasted for attempting to let folks here know that the ARP possibly provide a longer life for their fridge since the device has a better way to control the boiler temps...

To me, the small price for the device is much cheaper than replacing cooling units and or the fridge.

But what I got out of my post is most folks here do not feel that out of level operation of any sorts will cause any harm since the manufacturer says it is OK to do so... I disagree with that thought.

Go figure, the manufacturer makes a lot of money from selling repair parts and or an new fridge...