cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper looks like its not level

Rhodesia
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2022 Lance camper model 825 for my 2016 F250 Ford truck and the camper sits on the back of the truck bed and it looks like it leans back. The Lance dealer that loaded it for me says its normal because all ford truck truck bed sides are not tapered in another words the truck bed side taper upwards to the tail gate . I find that hard to believe because I took the truck to the Ford dealership and the truck bed is level inside and the sides don't taper upwards to the back of the tailgate to get the look like your camper is leaning in the rear. this camper fits 3/4 ton trucks or bigger I have the right truck bed for this model camper I wanted to do is place a 1/2 inch board underneath the rear of the camper in order to level it in another words if you measure the front part of the camper to the rails I'm 4 and 1/2 inches and if you measure the back of the camper to the rails I'm 4 inches so I thought by raising the back of the camper another 1/2 it would level the camper any ideals? because the Lance dealership recommended that I don't do that. how do you post a picture so anyone would know what I'm talking about?
56 REPLIES 56

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
cptqueeg wrote:

This one I suspect is not an optical illusion.

:B
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II

This one I suspect is not an optical illusion.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

scubabri
Explorer
Explorer
My problem is solved. I hope that others with the F-350 can benefit from my experience.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
There really wasn't a solution just more of the same back and forth. I posted some pics and after that I tried to get it perfectly level but with no luck. My Chevy bed is slanted to the rear and closer on the sides in the rear than in the front. That was my answer. Good luck with yours!

Now it's slanted front to back? Pretty sure you said the bed is the same depth front to back.

But you see this is the problem with dredging up old threads and hijacking them with your own "related" question. You end up getting lost in the original content.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

scubabri
Explorer
Explorer
It's just weird, my first camper and it was really bothering me to the point I almost wrecked while I was watching to see if the camper was rocking back and forth.

StirCrazy wrote:
scubabri wrote:
Ok, snaked a cheapo borescope down in the gap between the bed and the front of the camper. It's sitting flat on the rubber mat. So at least now I know that it's not teetering on something.

So this tells me that relative to the bed, the bed rails are lower in the front than they are in the rear.

So now I'll sleep a bit better that it's all flat on the bed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hh14c06bryh88xd/2022-11-03%2017.42.32.png?dl=0

my camper looks like it is doing that also from cirtian angles, for me its an optical ilusion created by the curve in the rear quarter panel railes. they are strait on the inside of the box but have a curve on the outside.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
scubabri wrote:
Ok, snaked a cheapo borescope down in the gap between the bed and the front of the camper. It's sitting flat on the rubber mat. So at least now I know that it's not teetering on something.

So this tells me that relative to the bed, the bed rails are lower in the front than they are in the rear.

my camper looks like it is doing that also from cirtian angles, for me its an optical ilusion created by the curve in the rear quarter panel railes. they are strait on the inside of the box but have a curve on the outside.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

scubabri
Explorer
Explorer

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
scubabri wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Mkirsch usually isn’t so much use or obtuse. He’s a good guy, but I got the same vibe as you.
That said, if the previous 5 pages doesn’t give you some more ideas or context, then likely the future responses won’t either.

It just wasn't clear to me what the ultimate solution was. It appears that crowning in the bed can cause this, but it's just not clear.

I'm going to get a borescope and see if there is indeed a gap at the front of the bed when the camper is in that would indicate that it's riding on a crown and tilting towards the rear.

I'll report back.

There really wasn't a solution just more of the same back and forth. I posted some pics and after that I tried to get it perfectly level but with no luck. My Chevy bed is slanted to the rear and closer on the sides in the rear than in the front. That was my answer. Good luck with yours!

scubabri
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Mkirsch usually isn’t so much use or obtuse. He’s a good guy, but I got the same vibe as you.
That said, if the previous 5 pages doesn’t give you some more ideas or context, then likely the future responses won’t either.

It just wasn't clear to me what the ultimate solution was. It appears that crowning in the bed can cause this, but it's just not clear.

I'm going to get a borescope and see if there is indeed a gap at the front of the bed when the camper is in that would indicate that it's riding on a crown and tilting towards the rear.

I'll report back.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

scubabri
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue and it's been driving me nuts trying to figure out what's what.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5vv9amdj2wb975/2022-11-01%2012.45.57.jpg?dl=0

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
5 pages already??…Amazing!!

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Give us an update OP... Please!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

The issue is, it's not physically possible for the bed to be the same depth front to back, and the camper to be the same depth front to back, and there be a difference in gap along the frame rails, unless there is a structural concern.

I agree. If the bed rails measured the same height in the front and the rear, I would start by rechecking and then checking the height in several locations. I would level the truck bed and then check to see if the rails were level. A 4' level or even a straight yardstick could be used to check for any crown in the truck bed. I would next check and measure the camper overhangs from the base of the camper and do so in multiple locations.