cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Levelling blocks for camper on driveway with 2 degree grade

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, is there a product I can buy or do I need to build truck camper blocks to level my camper on my driveway that has a 2 degree grade? Unfortunately I don’t have a truck yet and may be buying a used 2010 lance 950s, so I need to place it correctly the first time because I won’t be able to move it until the truck I ordered comes in. Thank you.
44 REPLIES 44

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Typical, typical typical - simple question yields 5 pages of off-topic nonsense.

Don't ya just LOVE rv.net forums? LOL!

- Mark0.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
And it’s hard to explain without sounding like a total self absorbed douche. And harder for folks who may not have the applicable background to fully understand, and even harder to believe someone’s qualifications or lack thereof on the internet.
What is also difficult for some is to glean what is good or bad intel or pick up on someone’s knowledge level or lack thereof.
So to be fair some of my comments come off as being rude or sarcastic but it’s sometimes hard to watch the same bad info being presented. And I would prefer to look like an @ss to those that don’t believe me than watch someone being mislead.

Happy new years and happy campin to the OP in his new camper!

And there you go..^^^ explained in layman's terms how looking like an azz doesn't mean I/we 'is' one.

It's entertaining to read this forum. Been on it for a couple of weeks now, and keep coming back for more punishment.

There are many responders on here over the years that have a depth of knowledge in certain areas (mechanical, structural, electrical, operations, IT, and even pest control, etc) that are shut down and just give up responding because of the backlash from those that are ill informed or just plain wrong. I've had many a discussion with folks about the frustration when it's obvious that answers are just dumb. My response is always, keep trying. The best any can do is try and articulate their response/answer, and hope the OP and others can weed there way through the noise. There really is a huge amount of good info on here...but man oh man, one must be able to read between the lines.

Which brings us to the human part; sometimes it's just so dang frustrating to see folks who don't realize their limits act/write like they don't have any. Soooo, they get called on it and the caller looks like an azz. Lol, hurt feelings on the internet.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And it’s hard to explain without sounding like a total self absorbed douche. And harder for folks who may not have the applicable background to fully understand, and even harder to believe someone’s qualifications or lack thereof on the internet.
What is also difficult for some is to glean what is good or bad intel or pick up on someone’s knowledge level or lack thereof.
So to be fair some of my comments come off as being rude or sarcastic but it’s sometimes hard to watch the same bad info being presented. And I would prefer to look like an @ss to those that don’t believe me than watch someone being mislead.

Happy new years and happy campin to the OP in his new camper!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But you gotta admit there are plenty of answers that someone thinks are correct that are not…

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta love this forum. New people come in and get made fun of for posting questions without searching, then people get made fun of for posting anything in a thread past one or two posts to answer the question. And that is only if the answers conform with what some people think is correct.

Oh well.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Has anyone read the title of this thread in a while? Or do some of you just enjoy over complicating this?

Absolutely. This whole thread is just absurd. There is something seriously wrong when it seems difficult to store a camper on a hard surface which is just slightly out of true level.

Lol but you gotta admit. The resurrection of the broken Ram thread does make this one seem a bit less ridiculous…
I’ve started a new game when I’m bored while driving. When I see a camper or RV on the road I try to imagine the driver is one of the folks on this forum that couldn’t find their @ss with both hands and a mirror…. But thinks theyre a rv Pro. then wonder what sweet nothings are floating between their ears as they pilot their land yacht down the road!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Has anyone read the title of this thread in a while? Or do some of you just enjoy over complicating this?

Absolutely. This whole thread is just absurd. There is something seriously wrong when it seems difficult to store a camper on a hard surface which is just slightly out of true level.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well shoot, I'll chime in.
There are so many reasons and ways to level your camper or truck and camper whichever the case.
Just go with the flow if it isn't horribly out of level being the easiest.
Use stackable leveling blocks or wheel ramps as preferred.
Determine your elevation tilt.
If tilted nose down, place leveling devices at front wheels and either reverse or forward up onto them. There can be a preference which direction to drive onto the leveling equipment depending upon the slope of hill. You can get more lift by backing onto a ramp because the ramp and slope of terrain will add together creating more lift. A downhill slope of 2" in 24" will be pretty much level, +2"ramp -2"slope = 0"lift. The same condition with the ramp turned around and backing up will be additive so you can get 4" lift from the same spot since the ramp will be +2"ramp +2"Slope = 4"lift. You may have a diagonal slope say right rear to left front slope 2"down to front left and left rear to right front is level. All you need is a 2" lift ramp or block under the front left wheel and you're level, you might need a 3/4" piece of plywood added to the lift deice because you're right rear springs won't drop an equal amount to the left front lift. It might just go sown 1" or 1-1/2" and also the other wheels may change a half inch or so. You can be as creative as needed to achieve a given amount of lift but do it safely. I have seen a couple towers of Babble collapse under trucks before. For just the TC, if you're on dirt of grass, it's a good idea to put a 12"x12" block under the TC jack legs. You can then level the TC using the jacks. Torklift or similar Wobble stopers are a good stabilization/safety device to use. If your TC jacks aren't rated to support the TC for extended periods, you can get heavy duty sawhorses to set the TC on if level area. If not level, then you need a 4x4 and shims to achieve level. I have altered my truck camper jacks with additional steel strapping wrapping under the bottom of the TC so there is solid lifting by all jacks.
Alright, I've presented a couple scenarios, hopefully the descriptions are clear enough to understand and visualize each situation. Best wishes with your soon to be truck and camper.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
happycamper1942 wrote:
If you don't want to use the jacks to level it up (which to me would be the preferred way), and assuming the grade is accurately measured at 2% and assuming the front and back jacks are 10 feet apart, then you could level it up using packing blocks 2.5 inches thick. 2.5 inches would be close enough.

I think it’s time for folks to stop sharing their “wisdom” here. Packing blocks? Huh?
Not sure why but sooo many posts on here, I just picture the words coming out of my mother in laws mouth. She knows everything….just ask her!
What on earth are you even alluding to here? “If you don’t want to use the jacks to level it up.”
Mkirsch was right. Stop overthinking this. But to be fair he should have addressed the REST of the peanut gallery. Not the OP. (Although the OP definitely needs some guidance with basic stuff.)

If you can't figure out what a "packing block" is I'd be happy to send you a picture of a piece of wood cut to the correct height lol
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
happycamper1942 wrote:
If you don't want to use the jacks to level it up (which to me would be the preferred way), and assuming the grade is accurately measured at 2% and assuming the front and back jacks are 10 feet apart, then you could level it up using packing blocks 2.5 inches thick. 2.5 inches would be close enough.

I think it’s time for folks to stop sharing their “wisdom” here. Packing blocks? Huh?
Not sure why but sooo many posts on here, I just picture the words coming out of my mother in laws mouth. She knows everything….just ask her!
What on earth are you even alluding to here? “If you don’t want to use the jacks to level it up.”
Mkirsch was right. Stop overthinking this. But to be fair he should have addressed the REST of the peanut gallery. Not the OP. (Although the OP definitely needs some guidance with basic stuff.)

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You are overthinking this whole thing to the point where camping is going to feel more like a chore than an an enjoyable activity.

Sounds like you are getting the camper delivered. Presumably by the previous owner. The guy who delivers it knows what he needs to get it on and off of his truck and store it. Let him handle unloading it and use the opportunity to pick up some tips on storing the camper on its legs.

Once the camper is on the ground you can get a better idea of the situation and come up with a solution, if one is even needed. The camper setting on its jacks on a concrete pad is certainly not something that will need immediate attention.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

WarrenS65
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did the same thing with my old camper when I stored it on my sloped driveway. I would lift the camper, pull the truck forward so the front of the camper was over the back end of the pickup bed. I would then lower it enough to take the weight off the front jacks and let them straighten out. I'd then lift it again and drive the truck away. I stored it on a wedge shaped platform so the whole thing was level and supported.
The wood ramps were heavy and a pain to deal with.

I'm storing my Host on ground that's fairly level.

gregchambers wrote:
Unfortunately I don’t have pictures and I no longer need to unload on a slopped driveway but I once did. I found that lifting the camper off the slopped truck bed was challenging, especially when reloading and it placed a lot of stress on the jacks. I would back part way, get out and slide ramps under my front tires and then using 4x4 low range back up the ramps. I made a set of 10” tall wheel ramps from pressure treated lumber that allowed me to back up the driveway and be level. I made four blocks from the same lumber that compensated for the slope so my jack bottoms were level and could not “walk” down my driveway. Using the side of my driveway as a guide and placing small paint marks to show where the ramps should be placed the loading and unloading process was relatively easy.

PS, I’ve had the same 30 orange Lego blocks i use for leveling the truck and placing under the jacks for over eight years with no breakage. Lumber is fine but heavy!
2022 F450
2023 Host Everest
2021 Yamaha YXZ1000R
1987 Honda TRX250R
2002 Honda 400EX
2023 Yamaha Raptor 700SE
2018 Look 24' enclosed trailer