cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,302 REPLIES 32,302

LeroyR
Explorer
Explorer
DF, They would be interested if OF rescued Timmy. He used to get in all kinds of jams and I know Lassie isn't around any more. :W
Leroy, Leona, Leroy Jr.
Our Westie(s) - Bark Lee (Buddy) and Wuzzy Bear.
G. Schnauzer/English Pointer mix - Teddy Bear
'06 301BHD F R Sandpiper
'06 Silverado 2500HD LT3 D/A CC SWB
'06 Trailblazer SS

Modocmohawk
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, our dog, a rat terrier, is the same way, when she wants something she will set and stare at us until we figure out what it is she wants, When she wants a treat, or food, or even when she is ready to go to bed, she expects us to go also!!!! yep controlling little varmit, she definitely rules the roost around here.
We enjoyed seeing Old Fella at the campground this past weekend, he is beautiul and the other campers were thrilled to see him and see how well he is doing now

God Bless Rich and Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just heard from Uwe our agnet. There are still no takers on publishing the book, but the movie people haven't said no. Maybe when the article comes out in Highways it will spark some deeper interest.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Buz2b
Explorer
Explorer
Happytraveler wrote:
Dogs are so funny. Jessie was taught to look at us eye to eye just to get her attention. Now I have a dog that stares at you when she wants something. She doesn't give up until she gets it. I know it doesn't sound bad but it's annoying. Also after dinner she wants everyone in the family room. She goes in and sits and starts her whinnying act. I think she has controlling issue.

Well, that's not just a dog thing. When our cat Pita thinks it's time we fed her, she'll come and sit right in front of us and stare a hole through us until she gets her way. Or at least until one of us gives her a small treat or two (three?). If she doesn't get satisfaction staring at one of us, she'll move over and start the whole process again with the other. Annoying?! You bet! But I guess we're also "well trained". :W
2005 F-150, Factory Tow Package
2006 Keystone Z271 Zeppelin II
Bill, Pixie, Honeybun the rescue and our DOTL cat Pita

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs are so funny. Jessie was taught to look at us eye to eye just to get her attention. Now I have a dog that stares at you when she wants something. She doesn't give up until she gets it. I know it doesn't sound bad but it's annoying. Also after dinner she wants everyone in the family room. She goes in and sits and starts her whinnying act. I think she has controlling issue.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Simon3xUD
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:
Try adding green beans to help fill him up.
Mark

Canned pumpkin (not the pie filling kind) is also good to add bulk to meals. Healthy substitutes when you want to give them a treat/snack include raw veggies and Cheerios ;).
Sally and the agile Aussies
2007 Sunseeker 3100LTD

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
sue.t wrote:
Richard ... our Elkhound also learned that she got cookies as reward and one of the rewards was for her bedtime pee. And she frequently got cookies anytime she came in. Soon, she was asking to go out ... she'd go down the stairs and promptly turn around and come back up and ask to come in. Then she'd run to the cookie jar! Sounds like she and Fella would have made a good pair! Too smart, those canines!

I also taught her to sing for a treat. She learned to let out a soulful howl that was just too funny. And for reward, she'd get a cookie. Well, soon she was singing day and night! Nothing like being woken up in the middle of the night by a singing Elkhound!

That is so funny! Sounds as if you and I could share a little training information of what not to do.

Wife Sue

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Richard ... our Elkhound also learned that she got cookies as reward and one of the rewards was for her bedtime pee. And she frequently got cookies anytime she came in. Soon, she was asking to go out ... she'd go down the stairs and promptly turn around and come back up and ask to come in. Then she'd run to the cookie jar! Sounds like she and Fella would have made a good pair! Too smart, those canines!

I also taught her to sing for a treat. She learned to let out a soulful howl that was just too funny. And for reward, she'd get a cookie. Well, soon she was singing day and night! Nothing like being woken up in the middle of the night by a singing Elkhound!
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Highway Magazine's May issue may be delivered to some subscribers as early as next week April 17-21. So look in your mail box and let us know when you get yours!

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
BCSnob wrote:

http://www.completepetmart.com/articles/Lose%20weight.pdf

Mark

Okay, that looks promising.

Wife Sue

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer

http://www.completepetmart.com/articles/Lose%20weight.pdf

Mark
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well Old Fella had me up most of the night complaining about his empty stomach. He doesn't like the diet. Woof, woof, woof. So I thought he wanted to go outside to take care of business. But I didn't realize what he was up to until it was too late. Changing diets sometimes changes bowel habits so I figure he has to go. Finally at 4:30 in the morning after letting him outside twice to do business and listening to him grunting and whining in his bed I finally figured it out. You see Fella knows after he goes outside in the mornings he gets fed. By the time I realized I had been had it was almost time to get up. So to get some sleep I gave him his breakfast. He went back to bed happy and I went back to bed wiser but sleepless. I guess I will have to admit to all of you that dog is smarter than I am.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
gemini1968 wrote:
I just read this thread for the first time and it has made my day!! I wish there were more people like you in this world. What a beautiful fella he is!

Can you come to the Rally in Branson, Missouri??

Old Fella Rally

Wife Sue

gemini1968
Explorer
Explorer
I just read this thread for the first time and it has made my day!! I wish there were more people like you in this world. What a beautiful fella he is!
Michele in NJ
Our Baby:

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
You might cast around and see if there are any chiropractors or acupuncturists in the area who treat dogs. Sometimes you'd be surprised at who's in the area. The laws are really annoying in CA but possibly not where you are and you might find a sympathetic chiro or acu nearby.

Probably the hip problem is a result of the compensation for the foot problem. This happens a lot, an injury in one area manifests as a problem in another. Swimming is probably a really good exercise for him as it will allow all his limbs to function as they should, even with the foot injury, and help to bring him back into balance a little. So if you have a body of water available to him, that's something to use as often as is practical for you. Its something they do in physical therapy for dogs as well as injured people.

Each ounce he loses will help, too.

There are some tapes (vhs) I believe about doggy massage, and that might help also.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.