cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,301 REPLIES 32,301

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just as soon as Sue and I get back from Ohio planning of the Old Fella Memeorial Walkway will begin. The first stage is to lay out the design and then have the bricks engraved that we have orders for. When that is done the actual laying of the walkway will begin. The first bricks will go in place hopefully by the first of August, so you still have time to order your brick. Send your order to:

PO Box 1437
Waynesboro, GA 30830

Be sure and put your information you want on your brick or bricks. Remember there are three lines on each brick with thirteen characters on each line with a space counting as a character. In order to get Rainbow Bridge on one line it will appear like this; "RainbowBridge".

Tomorrow morning we will be leaving for Ohio with our first stop in Wytheville, Va where we will be spending the night at Fort Chiswell Campground. Wednesday we plan to make it to Dundee, and Evergreen Resort Campground. Yes we will have all four doggies with us so everyone can meet the new additions. Also Suzie will make her first personal appearance at a rally. She will be naughty of course because she is full of it, but she will steal your heart with her antics and playfulness. Hobo will also steal your heart because of her shy self and humble style of meeting new people. Mama, with her massive self will want to sniff you and get a pat on the head and then lean up against you for more attention. Peaches will be the one who will bark at you, itโ€™s just her style of greeting folks.

Okay I have to go for now, talk with you laterโ€ฆ.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
det62 wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Old Fella is moving up in one area but is standing still in another. Keep the votes coming!

Shelter Challenge

This morning....235/6

Now that is progress!! Keep the votes coming...

Wife Sue

det62
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Old Fella is moving up in one area but is standing still in another. Keep the votes coming!

Shelter Challenge

This morning....235/6
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Frequently what happens is a homeless animal shows up pregnant. Could have been just the one puppy, or the others may have found homes and she being of a shy disposition was harder to place or he just didn't find anyone who would take that last one.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sue and I have been wondering about Mama and Hobo and the question came up, did Cy take in Mama and Hobo as stray's or did someone give them up. Maybe Mama and Hobo were a package deal?

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone who wants a copy of the sermon please send me your email address and I will send it to you as an attachment. It is too large for a post and maybe someone would protest as it is a religious topic.

Wife Sue

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Dogs are resilient, aren't they. Maybe that's because they live in the present, don't think about the past, and don't worry about the future. I told you earlier about Kala, the lovely "galga" (female Spanish greyhound) who passed through many hands, including mine, in her journey from Spain to Colorado to Utah to Calgary, Canada. She is now in her forever home in British Columbia and, from what I hear, is doing fine and is making herself at home as if she had been there all the time. Her people have fallen in love with her, just as I did, and everyone she touched along the way. Several of us have been keeping in touch and sharing the latest news. It never ceases to amaze me just how these dogs can bring out the best in us, if we let them.
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

SGTJOE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sure a lot of us would love to see it here on the forum if it would not be too much to ask. I have to honestly say that since becoming addicted to this forum post back in Sept, I hit it every morning, even before my morning coffee is ready. The Old Fella Saga is my "fix" for the day.

What a great Reality TV Show this would make.
God Bless You and Sue for all that you do.
2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today I am doing something I have never done before. I am writting a sermon telling the Old Fella story for a church in Augusta, Georgia for this Sunday morning.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. The rain sure has everything growing and the lawns are beautiful. We haven't seen this much rain in a long time, what a blessing for the farmers.

Mama and Hobo are still doing great as is Peaches, Suzie and Izzie. Mama has broken out in some very playful moods lately wanting to rough house a little bit. She growls when she is playing as if she is going to really tear into you, but it is just play. It took me a while to make sure that she was just funning around. Yesterday she and I played for a long time with her grabbing my arm and hands in her mouth as he wrestled around on the floor with her slapping me with her paw, but she never put any pressure on me with her teeth. But then when Suzie wanted to join in Mama told her under no circumstances was she allowed to play that rough with Dad.

Mama is very attentive to Sue and I and makes sure we are safe from anything that she thinks may harm us. When Sue had low blood sugar the other night, Mama was right there making sure She was being taken care of.

Last night I mentioned to Sue that Mama and Hobo act as if they have been with us all of their lives, itโ€™s as if Cy never existed. Dogs are so resilient arenโ€™t they? It is amazing how they can adjust to changes in life and keep going as if nothing ever happened. I keep going back to the day I took Mama out to Cyโ€™s and she went to the front door and barked for Cy to come out. When she decided that he wasnโ€™t there any longer she was finished with that chapter in her life and never wanted to go back there again. I know that because when I carried her back the next day she wouldnโ€™t even get out of the truck.

She and Hobo are very happy and well adjusted to life with us and we learned by taking them with us to Greenville in the camper that they enjoyed the camping trip and rode well throughout the trip. I know they will do well on our adventure to Ohio and will enjoy meeting their new friends. I see so much of Fellaโ€™s spirit in Mama with her love for life and family. I wish I had known her when she was young as I know she must have been a beautiful slim and trim girl. She isnโ€™t bad now even in her old age as she carries herself to well and has the most beautiful eyes. I will cherish every moment we have together just like we did with Fella. Hobo is really coming around, but the one thing that bothers me is she wonโ€™t come when she is called but cowards down as if she is going to be beaten. I guess that will take some time to overcome and she learns she is not going to be hit on and abused. Oh my, you should see her on the leash. She is so happy when she is out with the gang walking, that tail is wagging and she has that happy smile on her face and all is at peace with the world.

Okay I have to go for now, so everyone have a great day and I will talk with you later.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
This morning I was thinking about who we are and what we mean to our community as individual people. There are many who work everyday to make their community a better place to live. There are those who are care givers and visit the sick and shut in's and there are those who give to their community through their work. I wonder sometimes if any get discouraged to the point of wanting to quit. Maybe you feel you are wasting your time and efforts.

Let me remind you of a story about a mother who packed a lunch one morning for her son to take with him on a journey to hear a man speak. It was only a small lunch, not much to brag about, just five loaves of bread and two fish. When she packed the lunch for her son she never dreamed the miracle that would happen that day just because she was faithful in her duties in providing a meal for her child.

Perhaps if she had known she would have made a large lunch and perhaps put more into it. But that is not the lesson to be learned from this remarkable story. There were five thousand that gathered that day to hear a Carpenter speak and when it was evening the people were tired and hungry and there wasnโ€™t any food. The Carpenterโ€™s helpers asked about supplying food for the people and told him the only food that was available was the lunch that a small brought from home which was five loaves of bread and two fish. The Carpenter asked that the boyโ€™s lunch be brought to Him. Once the bread and fish had been broken into fragments the Carpenter blessed the food and the five thousand were fed with some left over.

I have often felt inadequate facing the challenges that lay before me. But then I think of the small boy, his mother and the feeding of the multitude and say, โ€œNot by my might, but by your will.โ€ And then continue on lifeโ€™s journey. Old Fella is a good example of this story. What could one old black mangy dog and one old man accomplish in the face of such a gigantic task of rescuing so many homeless animals that roam our country side and city streets? The answer is nothing if you want to do it by yourself. The Old Fella legacy is alive and well today because so many felt compassion for this lonesome old black dog and his lifeโ€™s struggles and gave from your heart a service. Miracles still happen for those who have the faith to wait and the courage to endure. Old Fella had his turn at a better life just because people looked beyond the obstacles and saw a vision and then dare to dream that it could come true.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Shelter Challenge

Wife Sue

det62
Explorer
Explorer
Just did the daily vote....moved up to number 250...still 7th in GA
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

Missy120
Explorer
Explorer
Still clicking here in PA.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good morning everyone. I am running late so I have to keep it short as Sue and I have to get to Vacation Bible SChool at the church. Please keep up the voting we have a lot of ground to make up and a short tike to do it. Remember do not vote more than one time per day as you may disqualify us in the contest.

I am so tired this morning, I don't know what is going on, but something is not right with me, could be just old age catching up with me? Okay I have to go for now, talk with you later.

Wife Sue