cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A very old stray {The Old Fella Story}

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went camping this weekend at a campground on the lake, had not been there for a few years. Once there I began to walk around looking at the different sites when I noticed a very old dog. He just lay there until I got too close then he got up on three legs and hobbled away. Just judging I would say he is at least 11 years old. Well back to my story. The next afternoon he wanders into camp and just sits there looking. He looked so sad, so the wife got a bowl of our dog's food and put it down for him and he came over and ate. He then walked over to our dog and the two of them sniffed each other over and then they lay down together for the rest of the afternoon. That night he disappeared.
The next morning he was back and was a little more receptive of me. I looked at his injured leg and found that half of his rear foot was gone. It had healed and was not causing any problem except that he was walking on the stub that was left with no foot pad which causes him to limp. His front teeth were gone except for one canine tooth and it looked decayed. His eyes were tired looking and showing his age. He spent the rest of the day just laying around looking for a handout and by afternoon the campground host came around and saw him. I enquired about the dog and was told he had been there for three years and that most of the campers were tolerant of him and gave him food.
So what to do? Do you pick him up and bring him home or do you let nature take it course. He can't harm anyone, he has no teeth and he isn't a nuisance unless you don't like dogs, and no one seems to mind him being there. He is gentle and likes other animals as seen by his interaction with our dog. He still would not let me touch him but he would eat from my hand. Enough said, what would you do???

On June 28th 2008 Old Fella passed away of complications caused by bone cancer. Fella spent almost three years with his new family and became the icon of rescued old stray dogs. He will be greatly missed but his foot prints have been left in our hearts forever.

Now Charlie, the ten year old rescued Golden Lab has come to be a part of the continuing Old Fella story. (*Note, Charlie took his journey to Rainbow Bridge unexpectedly September 30, 2008)Suzie continues to charm her way into our hearts with her antics as she has grown from a puppy into a young lady. Togther they will carry on the Old Fella legacy. Come join us in their daily lives and be a part of the best feel good thread in RV.NET history. The legacy lives on.

HIghways Article Puppy Love

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

32,294 REPLIES 32,294

MNSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I'm really sorry to hear about Old Fella.

Dixie Flyer wrote:
He has a tremendous ball faddish. When he first came into the house he found one of Suzieโ€™s tennis balls. He brought it to me and we have been playing ball ever since, he doesnโ€™t get enough of it. Last night he brought me every ball he could find in the toy box and placed them at my feet.

He's a Lab.....wanting to play ball is genetic.
Smurf, SWMBO, and the RugRats
Max the Dog
2000 F250 V-10
2005 Cherokee Lite 285B

"How many days of vacation do I have left?"

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
dogdiva wrote:
Do you know his previous name????
Just give Susie some time to get used to him. I think Old Fella definitely had a PAW in this........

Unfortunately the record keeping at the city shelter isn't that great and I don't want to go back to the previous owner to find out. Sometimes some things are best left alone.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

dogdiva
Explorer
Explorer
Do you know his previous name????
Just give Susie some time to get used to him. I think Old Fella definitely had a PAW in this........
Elizabeth and Henry..... rescues

Crickett, Beau, Lady, Dixie, Batman, Penny, Bonnie Colleen, SouiX C, George, Willie, Pierre, Shandi. Honey, Patches ,Gumby...WAITING at the Rainbow Bridge

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
waflhtrider wrote:
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Suzie and Izzie have given their stamp of approval.

I see a definite family resemblance.

My name is Tia, and I approve this dog!~

I see a definite family resemblance also.

Wife Sue

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Everyone had a good night. The old dog is house broke and has very good manners. He slept on Fellaโ€™s bed last night and he never moved. This morning he and Suzie went outside just like he had done this a thousand times before. When I asked if they were ready to go inside he was the first to the door. Right now he is lying at my feet as I type this post.
There are two problems that I need to take care of, one his stool is black as tar. I am taking a sample to the vet this morning so she can analyze it and tell me what is going on. The other problem I donโ€™t know if there is a cure for. He has a tremendous ball faddish. When he first came into the house he found one of Suzieโ€™s tennis balls. He brought it to me and we have been playing ball ever since, he doesnโ€™t get enough of it. Last night he brought me every ball he could find in the toy box and placed them at my feet. By the way, he must have had a toy box at his previous home as he went to Suzieโ€™s as if he knew what it was and what was in it.

He is such a gentle soul and he loves Izzie! Izzie is quite sure of his intentions yet, but allows Izzie to come over to him and sniff him over. Suzie still snarls her lips when she gets a chance but she tries to make sure I donโ€™t see her nor hear her. Since he is such a good boy we will take him camping with us on Thursday. I am leaning toward the name โ€œCharlieโ€, it seems to fit his personality. All the Charlieโ€™s I have ever known were laid back people.

If ever there could have been an angel intervening and bringing dog and man together I believe Old Fella was somewhere in the mix, it just couldnโ€™t have worked out any better and the timing was great.

Wife Sue

Nagavator
Explorer
Explorer
Richard, I am so sorry to hear the news about Old Fella! When I started reading the forum to catch up on the news, it was hard to read through the tears that started falling during your story of his ordeal. But it was worth it to reach the inspirational story of your new rescue and how he chose you as much as you chose him. Old Fella must have had a paw in this adoption! Bless you for having the strength to rescue another older dog!
Roberta, Dan, & Sophie Retired, bought a motorhome, & travel so Dan can do his genealogy research.

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer
Dixie Flyer wrote:
Suzie and Izzie have given their stamp of approval.

I see a definite family resemblance.

My name is Tia, and I approve this dog!~
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

E_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Great looking dog Richard. Like everyones said Old Fella would approve. Congratulations. Suzie? well she's just being her playful self but looks like she's happy with him. I love labs.
E.Texan

Hoops
Explorer
Explorer
Gee Richard, that is so sad, to have dog that long then just put him in a shelter. Does not make sense to me.

Becky
The Hoops. ED and Becky
Missy our little Bichon
2004 F350 V10
2005 Jayco Legacy 38RDQS

dwb619
Explorer
Explorer
Just read the news, I am so sorry. We had the opportunity to see this old dog just two weeks before Richard rescued him. The pictures do not do justice to the change that was brought to his life. I think about all the good this dog and his savior ARE doing for strays across this country.
R.I.P. ,Old Fella, a truer Southern Gentleman and Ambassador could not have been found.
Wayne Boyce
Belvedere,South Carolina

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
A very old stray II (The Old Yella Story)
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
He is a wonderful choice, and a handsome yella fella.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It looks as if the old dog has made himself to home. He has settled into the house hold just like a hand fitting into a glove. He and Izzie get along great, Suzie, === well she is going to take a little work but she will come around. He is so laid back with everything and I believe he is house broke. We'll know in the morning.

Wife Sue

needsomefun
Explorer
Explorer
So many dogs, so little time !! ๐Ÿ™‚

joelbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 'Old Yella' suggestion. In his eyes I see the same look as Old Fella. What a lucky dog!
Joel & Bonnie
3 boys and 4 dogs
No coach right now ๐Ÿ˜ž
Rallies Attended: 8;Gatherings Attended: 3