cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A heads up on power

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
On our caravaan, we had damage to some rigs due to bad power. It was a 160 V. I tell people to buy either a surge guard or progressive industries protector. I am going to have to be more specific in future as to what they specifically need to purchase. We had

1) a blown digital clock
2) a blown convertor board
3) a blown satellite receiver PVR

In the first 2 cases they had bought a cheaper device to protect against surges (made by surge guard, which was the casue of the issue, 4 of the rigs had bought a cheaper product also made by surge guard that only protects aginst surges). This does nothing for continuous high or low voltage. In the case of the satellite, they had the protector, but did not use it because it blocked the power (duh, that is what its supposed to do.)

I have ordered a replacement convertor board to be sent to Mexico Mike, and he will re ship it for me. I have the skills & tools to change it out.

In future, our policy witll be to inspect what everybody has at the border to make sure they have the correct type of protection before they cross.

For readers here, it should be a lesson in why you need to protect your rig against bad power. Just putting things like your fridge on gas won't cut it, just being plugged in can blow stuff in your rig even if they are not turned on.
166 REPLIES 166

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
If I read it correct, when voltage drops to 90 - you'll get 109, and when it shoots to 150 - you'll get 134. Doesn't look too comfortable.

Is there anything with 30A input that keeps output 110V+-4% withing say, 90-155V input range, and shuts down when it can't keep it? Not just a "mejor voltaje", but "correcto voltage"?

First - the standard is 120 - not 110

Second - I have always said you still need a surge protector of some sort - a couple of units mentioned in this thread. The surge protector will keep you safe.

Third - What the ISB Sola Basic Voltage Regulator does is keep the incoming power at a more stable level than some places might provide - this is not true everywhere as some places do have stable voltage.

The mentioned surge protectors will cut off power to your vehicle if the incoming power goes below a certain level (I have heard between 102 to 108 depending on where the info comes from) or above a certain level - usually 132. With the ISB your voltage remains in the safe range and the surge guard does not keep cutting your power. BUT the surge guard is still there to cut power if the ISB cannot keep you in the safe range.

With our ISB in most places we have been our surge guard almost never cuts our power. That is the whole point we are trying to make here. I hope this helps. There is a lot or reading and useful info in this thread but you have to read it all to get the point. We keep rehashing the same info over and over.

Talleyho69
Where are you? Somewhere the power is good, and stable!

Remember, Mexico standard is 127V.

cross_country
Explorer
Explorer
well it has been 2 seasons for approx 9 months plugged into a 30 amp receptacle. I have never seen the power monitor in the motor home read less than 116 or more than 120. usually 118 . steady, no up,no down. A friend of mine watched for a season. bought one this year. one week later more than 7 RV's lost micro waves, refrigerators boards of all descriptions etc. My friend did not lose anything. his unit placed in front of his surge protector stopped the spike, reset and went on working. His power stays at 114 for some reason. When measured the power here is usually 129 and higher, tripping surge protectors daily. I do not have that problem. My friend does not have that problem, and now another friend has bought one without the need for a surge guard.

the unit shuts down even when physical heat is too much, like putting it in a plastic box with a lid in the heat; it shuts off.

we can not prove any of this but we sure can use the system. Ecowise.

Mary and Tom '86 Crosscountry Sportscoach
2000 Foretravel U320 4210

Talleyho69
It's 8:15pm, and 85 degrees here.

We run the Progressive Industries EMS, and it clicks off at about 102 and 132. We just, this evening, fried our second AC compressor this season. The second one is while we are waiting for the Sola Basic 4000 voltage regulator we purchased on Mercado Libre. Yes, we have called the AC guy, and hopefully he'll be here in the morning.

We aren't in a position to leave for another 2 weeks, details about an 11 week old puppy needing more shots before we feel good about her traveling, a 14 year old dog, the modified AC cover to cover the new compressor, and getting our stuff stored and secure.

We will be replacing the roof AC as soon as we get to the US.

Sure hope the Sola Basic 4000 will help a lot!

We have kept our senses of humor, but are drinking, and reading more than we probably should!

Your positive thoughts are appreciated. Face it, if you travel out of the US a lot, you have these moments!!!

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
My experience is that 130 does no harmMy experience is that 130 does no harm. But 134 is hell on electronics Electric companies have a recording device that they sometimes install. It shows the voltages a period of time. Days I think. We would all be shocked if they did a test in Mexico. Our Dynasty has an EMS. I went into the shop one day and the power in the MH was off. Lights in the shop were OK . I called the CFE and the lineman that came out tried to tell me that 134 was the Mexican standard. I did not buy his fable. He explained that in a tourist area they keep it high because otherwise it is too low on the weekends when the town is packed. He finally adjusted the output on the transformer. It is now at a safe less than 130.

Moisheh

commercial/industrial electrician of 33 years here, and you would be correct that 130V will not harm a thing. Completely acceptable, and some of the power companies in GA have their transformers tapped to achieve that voltage for the same reasons, to allow for voltage drop during the summer months when they are under huge loads due to A/C usage.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
My experience is that 130 does no harm. But 134 is hell on electronics Electric companies have a recording device that they sometimes install. It shows the voltages a period of time. Days I think. We would all be shocked if they did a test in Mexico. Our Dynasty has an EMS. I went into the shop one day and the power in the MH was off. Lights in the shop were OK . I called the CFE and the lineman that came out tried to tell me that 134 was the Mexican standard. I did not buy his fable. He explained that in a tourist area they keep it high because otherwise it is too low on the weekends when the town is packed. He finally adjusted the output on the transformer. It is now at a safe less than 130.

Moisheh

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Almot,

Lowest I've seen is 99.

If you compare the Sola to the Hughes, Frank's or Surge Guard autoformers you may see how it outperforms those items. Those three don't buck voltage at all. And the Sola is at 1/2 the price, too!

Almot wrote:
Is it Sola in the picture by Briansue?

If I read it correct, when voltage drops to 90 - you'll get 109, and when it shoots to 150 - you'll get 134. Doesn't look too comfortable.

Is there anything with 30A input that keeps output 110V+-4% withing say, 90-155V input range, and shuts down when it can't keep it? Not just a "mejor voltaje", but "correcto voltage"?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Talleyho69
We think so.
We already have the Progressive Industries unit that shuts us down when the power drops below about 102 or above 132. Hopefully with this "voltage regulator" things will be about 120 all the time. It's is supposed to be shipped tomorrow, and we'll keep posting.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

Both Surge Guard and Progressive Industries have a low voltage cut off at 104. That's too low for my comfort zone.

I think the Sola unit is great

Is it Sola in the picture by Briansue?

Talleyho69
So true! Just want to get it and install it before our new AC compressor ***** out, too!

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
You have to relax. You know as well as I how things go in Mexico. Sometimes I think they are just frustrating us for fun!

Moisheh

Talleyho69
The Mercado Libre saga continues. My US credit card got kicked out, so we went to OXXO and paid the 2927p, cash. There was a 9p service charge. That was on the 17th. Since then, I have been e-mailing and chatting with Mercado Libre daily, because OXXO never posted the payment, even though I was able to submit the receipt on line. Finally today they credited my Mercado Pago account with the money, and I was able to pay for the voltage regulator. In theory, it will be shipped DHL tomorrow, and we'll get it Monday or so. More as things progress.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
The store Jarvis said he bought the ISB in Hermosillo could be somewhere on this map. I found the street name and the north and south end of it. Then I found a Bancomer near that street on Avenida Veracruz. I can't use this program to find exact street number addresses in Mexico but maybe this map with Lat Lon numbers could help someone to find the store.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Where do I send money? I'll be at Pike Lake in June.

peterth wrote:
Hola pianotuna
We will be in Regina latter part of July. If you would like a Sola Basic I can bring it up with us, we have the 4000 unit and it is probably the best thing I did was installing it. Works great for me ,but surge protector is still needed.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Jarvis1
Explorer
Explorer
ISB Sola Basic 4000 was purchased yesterday in Hermosillo

ISB has a distribution warehouse there, but will only sell to their retailers

Two retail electrical stores quoted $13,000 and $14,000, so I ran away fast!

We called ISB and found a PC store that would provide a unit for $3410.40 cash (There is a Bancomer next door)

Conexion PC S.A DE C.V.
Concepcion L. de Soria No, 52 Int No.9 COL. San Benito
Tel 6622106740
Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico, 83190
email- ventas@conexionpc.com.mx

Many Thanks to Neo at the Sonora RV Park for helping as my command of Spanish is not that good

Fuasto:
In case you read these, we will be arriving next week on the 25th.
Two Class A DP's. Will spend some time touring around Hermosillo

Again, My thanks Neo

Colin
2002 Monaco Diplomat 40'