cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding travel time to Google maps

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I use google maps allot while towing. Looking at the estimated time of the trip I'm wondering if you routinely add time to the Google estimate. I normally allow an extra hour for a trip that maps says will take 5 hrs or so. Interested to hear what others do.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
18 REPLIES 18

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
We disregard the times given and go by the standard of 50 miles made good in an hour for the run. This usually works out very close as dog walks, bathroom breaks and a lunch stop will make the google times meaningless. We are also in no hurry so speed limits are not what we go by. Cruise is usually set for about 59 to 64 depending on terrain and traffic.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
I wish mapping software would have an option for towing. The ridiculous towing speed limits in CA can really alter the estimated time.
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I also add a lot of time to Googles time. I agree with gbopp, 50 mph average, so I just count on 2 hours per hundred miles. Not much thinking involved.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I use Google Maps a lot, they're very convenient.
I allot my travel time based on a speed of 50 MPH. I believe Google uses an average speed of 65 MPH, which I find to be unrealistic when traveling by RV.