Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alaska Hwy fuel stops- see original posting

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Last edited on: October 23, 2015

This thread was started, to cover the subject of fuel availability , not prices, etc. For many travelers, at times, the availability of fuel, is of more importance than is the price per unit.

On another forum thread, the question was asked as to how far apart the fuel stops were on the Alaska Hwy. I said about 100 miles was the most I could remember. After making that comment I decided to check and see if that was still correct. We were up to Alaska, the last trip in 2011. Here is what I found, using mostly currently listed mile posts, for reference. Current mile post and historic milepost can be over 30 miles different, on the northern end of the Alaska Hwy. Current travelers, please advise of any changes needed by PM.

Alaska Hwy fuel stopsAlaska Hwy fuel stops โ€“ distance, Miles approx, to next fuel stop, north bound. As of summer of 2015, as reported by forum members.
(?) =has history of opening-closing, check ahead, if planning to use
(S) = Seasonal openings - not all seasonal are known or shown.
Daily operating hours unknown - may vary -

Two Mileposts are given - the current one and the historic one which is the address used for businesses along the Alaska Hwy. Changes in the Mileposts are the result of the Alaska Hwy being re-routed, straightened, etc. over the years since it was constructed.

Dawson Creek โ€“ Mile 0
Milepost 47 - Fort Saint John โ€“ 47 miles
MP 54/54 - Charlie Lake, Hwy 29 Junction - 7 miles
MP 72/72 - The Shepherd's Inn - 18 Miles
MP 101/101 - Wonowon โ€“ 29 miles
MP 140/143 - Pink Mountain (?) - 39 miles - both open -2011
MP 160/162 - Sikanni Chief (S)- 20 miles - open summer 2011
MP 173/175 - Buckinghorse Lodge โ€“ 13 miles
MP 227/233 โ€“ Prophet River Lodge โ€“ 54 miles
MP 283/300 - Fort Nelson โ€“ 56 miles
MP 358/375 โ€“ Tetsa River Services โ€“ 75 miles
MP 379/397 - Rocky Mountain Lodge(S) - 21 miles Open July 2011 - gas and diesel
MP 409/422 - Toad River (S) โ€“ 30 miles
MP 442/462 โ€“ Northern Rockies Lodge โ€“ 33 miles
MP 443/463 โ€“ Muncho Lake Lodge (?) โ€“ 1 mile โ€“ RV Park only - no fuel
MP 478/496 - Liard River Lodge (?)โ€“ 35 miles
MP 514/533 - Coal River Lodge โ€“ 36 miles
MP 570/590 โ€“ Contact Creek Lodge โ€“ 56 miles
MP 613/635 - Watson Lake โ€“ 43 miles
MP 626/649 - Junction 37 Services - 13 miles
MP 627/H650 - Nugget City - 1 mile -24 hour credit card pumps
MP 687/710 - Rancheria Lodge โ€“ 60 miles
MP 698/721 - Continental Divide Lodge - 11 miles
MP 777/804 - Teslin โ€“ 79 miles
MP 809/836 - Johnsonโ€™s Crossing -32 miles - reported as open, with fuel , Oct 2014
MP 837/866 - Jakes Corner โ€“ 28 miles
MP 887/918 - Whitehorse โ€“ 50 miles - All Services available
MP 964/H995 - Otter Falls Lodge - 77 miles - 24 hour pumps - credit cards
MP 985/1016 - Haines Junction โ€“ 21 miles - several stations
MP 1052/1083 - Destruction Bay โ€“ 67 miles
MP 1062/1093 - Burwash Landing โ€“ 10 miles
MP 1169/1202 - Beaver Creek โ€“ 107 miles
MP 1189/1222 - Port Alcan - 20 miles - border crossing - no tourist services

Crossing into Alaska - These milepost tend to be historic ones, any that still remain.

MP 1225 - Border City - Recently sold - No fuel sales. Reported Oct 2014 - may be open seasonal
MP 1226 - Scottie Creek - 1 mile no fuel reported fall of 2014
MP 1264 - Northway โ€“ 38 miles - 1st fuel in Alaska, northbound.
MP 1314 - Tok โ€“ 50 miles
MP 1422 - Delta Junction โ€“ 108 miles - Official end of Alaska Hwy
MP 1427 - Big Delta โ€“ 5 miles
MP 1478 - Salcha โ€“ 51 miles
MP 1505 - North Pole โ€“ 23 miles
MP 1520 - Fairbanks โ€“ 15 miles

Standard disclaimers apply. Check ahead if you are depending on a specific fuel stop.
If any of these are closed or if I have missed an open fuel stop, please post your info and I will update the list.

Cassiar HwyCassiar Hwy - Hwy 37

Cassiar Highway, Hwy 37, fuel stops north bound (MilePosts are approx. locations)
No changes reported as of the Fall of 2013
MP โ€“ 0 -Kitwanga Junction with Federal Hwy 16 (Hwy 37 continues on south to Kitimat BC)
Stewart is approx 138 miles from Kitwanga Junction. Fueling in Stewart will make it 95 miles on to Bell 2 Lodge. (next fuel northbound)
MP โ€“ 98 โ€“ Meziadin Junction โ€“ NO Fuel Services โ€“ Turn off to Stewart/Hyder โ€“ All Services in Stewart
MP โ€“ 155 โ€“ Bell II Lodge โ€“ 155 miles from Kitwanga
MP - 243 - Tatogga Lake Resort โ€“ 88 miles
MP โ€“ 253 โ€“ Iskut Village Store โ€“ 10 miles
MP โ€“ 304 - Dease Lake โ€“ 51 miles - has good deli
MP - 390 - Good Hope Lake - 60 miles - reported fuel sales in 2010
MP โ€“ 450 โ€“ Junction 37 Services โ€“ 60 miles โ€“ Junction with Alaska Highway
Stewart BC - station open set hours only - at end of Hwy 37A

North Klondike Loop โ€“ Hwy 2 โ€“ Whitehorse YT to Dawson City YT โ€“
(Whitehorse to Tok via Dawson City is 498 miles.)
Alaska Hwy Junction โ€“ Milepost 894.8 DC โ€“ 323 mile/520 km
Mileposts below, are from the Junction, north of Whitehorse to Dawson City- North bound.
Whitehorse โ€“ All Services available - Hwy 2 Junction (J) is 10 miles north of down town. Approx 7.5 miles north of turn off for Two Mile Hill in Whitehorse.
Braeburn Lodge โ€“ J55.2 MP โ€“ food/fuel/rooms
46.3 miles to:
Carmacks - J101.5 MP โ€“ food/fuel/rooms/general store
66.3 miles to:
Pelly Crossing /Selkirk Centre - J167.8 MP โ€“ fuel/general store/rooms
43.8 miles to:
Stewart Crossing โ€“ J211.6 MP โ€“ fuel/food
approx. 111 miles to: Dawson, the next fuel
Klondike River Lodge โ€“ J298.3 MP โ€“ Closed due to a fire(2012).
Dawson City โ€“ J323.4 MP โ€“ Most tourist services available

Top of the World Hwy from Dawson City to Junction of Taylor Hwy in Alaska
(Boundary Spur Road) from Dawson City (D)
Border Crossing โ€“ D65.7 MP โ€“ Canadian and US Customs โ€“ No tourists services
Boundary Roadhouse(?) โ€“D69.6 MP โ€“ No fuel - closed by a recent fire
Taylor Highway โ€“ rejoins the Alaska Hwy just east of the town of Tok.
Chicken Alaska โ€“ D108.3 MP โ€“ fuel/food/lodging
Tetlin Junction โ€“ D174.7 MP (on Alaska Hwy)
Tok is 12 miles west on the Alaska Hwy

South Klondike Highway, Hwy 2 โ€“ Skagway to Junction with Alaska Hwy , 12 miles from Whitehorse YT.

Mileposts given are from Skagway, north bound. (S) Hwy 98 in Alaska, Hwy 2 in Yukon.
Skagway โ€“ MP 0 โ€“ Most tourist services available
US-Canadian Border โ€“ S14.7 โ€“ No Services
Canadian Customs โ€“ MP S22.5 โ€“ No Services
Carcross โ€“ MP S65 โ€“ Most tourist services available
Junction with Alaska Highway - MP S98 -

Call ahead if you have to have fuel at a specific location - Stations may close without notice - Some are seasonal - Hours of operations will vary at many.

A good, general source of information, on fuel prices in Canada is MJ Ervin and Associates, doing business as Kent Marketing Services, a Canadian petroleum consulting firm. Fuel prices will vary in towns, just like anywhere else, so check around.
http://www.kentmarketingservices.com/dnn/portals/0/Pricing/WPPS_Public.htm
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".
104 REPLIES 104

Alaska_Annie
Explorer
Explorer
Pine Valley is open this year.
Henry & Ann

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple more stations.
Here is the Yukon Motel RV Park, cafรฉ and gas station. It is at the north end of the Teslin Bridge at the south end of the lake. The owner is the son of the folks that did own/run Mukluk Annie's. He also has a very nice wildlife museum and the food served is good.

And the Talbot Arm Motel, cafรฉ, RV Park and station. Located in Destruction Bay, YT.
A diesel pump is on the outside but they have plenty of roof clearance for any motorhome or 5th wheel, I do believe. The low clearance sign appears to show 17.5 and I am guessing feet(?) Watch this one if you are over 12.5.

This is the Rancheria Lodge at Historic mile 710. It has one of the small canopies I mentioned but nothing overhead. Their campground is by the flags. It was at one time a territorial campground but now belongs to the lodge. Another good place to eat.
joe b.
Stuart Florida

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
In Beaver Creek, Yukon

the 1202 Motor Inn:

the Westmark RV Park:

That is the shower house on the left. The diesel pump on the far right. If you fill with fuel, you can dump for free at the RV dump station here.

Joe may recognize the old Beaver Creek customs building, which was moved across the street to become the RV park office after the new customs building opened north of Beaver Creek near the Stalberg Airfield.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
I'll add to Joe's collection of Alaska Highway gas stations ...
this is our fifth wheel at the diesel pump at Contact Creek:

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

resmas
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think Watson Lake Motors has fuel anymore, though. Pretty sure the pumps were closed in August 2010. But there are other places in town with fuel.

We also used them for vehicle service in 2007 - the U-Haul car dolly had a tire that was starting to shred and they replaced it for us.
2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Wildblu, I can't think of any of the stations where you would have a problem getting any RV in for fuel due to height. Most of the road house pumps are set parallel to the buildings, not perpendicular so they are easy in and out for the most part. Very few have canopies over the pumps and if they do, they are narrow and only cover the pumps, not the vehicle. The others with large canopies have plenty of clearance as 18 wheelers and passenger buses use the same pumps as RVs in many areas.

Here is an example of a Shell station in Charlie Lake area.

Here is one where I am refueling at Coal River Lodge. Nothing over the pump, which is somewhat common.

Here is one at Watson Lake that the pumps on the right are uncovered as well. I have used this place several times for quality mechanical service at a resonable price.
joe b.
Stuart Florida

Wildblu
Explorer
Explorer
Offhand, are there any problems with height at any of these fuel stops? Particularly for those of us with diesel Class A or large Class C's. I don't know if this kind of info is in the Milepost, but I have one coming very shortly.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
penderray wrote:
I was thinking if you noticed any Gas Stations that were both large enough and were accessible for say 40 foot MH's.

I can't think of any that I wouldn't pull my 42-foot MCI into. There used to be a couple but they closed many, many years ago.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

penderray
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking if you noticed any Gas Stations that were both large enough and were accessible for say 40 foot MH's. Just if you noticed them. There are 2 reasons 1. To populate my website. 2. I'd like to travel in that area and like to know what's available. Cheers Ray

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
What's a "large gas station"? And what difference does the size make?

Edit - I checked your site so see what you're after, but I can't think of a station that I wouldn't pull my MCI into.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon

penderray
Explorer
Explorer
Explorenorth - could you note any large gas stations on your travels for my website please? (see my profile).

Paoli
Explorer
Explorer
Alaska Highway

There are a few places like this on the Alaska Highway.
But we never had problems keeping our diesel tank filled up.

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with the mileages given - there's a mixing of Historic Mileposts and current mileages as given in The Milepost. From Jake's Corner to Whitehorse, for example, is 50 miles, not 21 (but it's 43 miles to the furthest-south station at Whitehorse).

I'm going from Whitehorse to Calgary to Kelowna and back to Whitehorse by motorcycle in a couple of weeks, and with a 235-kilometer range on my main tank will be stopping for gas a LOT, so will update the list as needed when I get back in early June.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon

soren
Explorer
Explorer
explorenorth wrote:
Note a couple of gouges - Tetsa River was exactly 50 cents (!) a liter higher than Fort Nelson when I stopped there last Fall, and today Carcross is 12 cents a liter higher than Whitehorse.

I was hoping somebody would mention this. We over-nighted there last summer and it's a great place to avoid. They advertise 30 amp hook-ups, but we found a rat's nest of 15 amp cords randomly buried. The grass was knee high, garbage strewn all over our site, and we noted the obscene fuel prices. Shortly after departing we were stopped at a construction area. The flag girl said that the company had rented sites long term at Tetsa, and everybody real unhappy about staying in such a dump.

Texas_Harry
Explorer
Explorer
We drove up last week as well...came up thru Cache Creek,Prince George
and into Dawson Creek up Alcan to Skagway. Road did seem rougher than last year however found Parks open entire trip some with only
electric. Fuel prices low 1.23 liter to 1.39 liter average around a
1.35 for trip. Best advice is fill up often and just enjoy the trip.
Texas Harry & Sylvia
28 Ft Dutchman-2003 F250
Zoe-Family Boss
h_jakobeit@yahoo.com