cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arizona Hwy 89 ALT info please

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
The Mountain Directory West says that on Hwy 89ALT page 14 #22 "There are some long drop offs but it is generally a good road".
My question:
Can anyone tell me about these drop offs? Drop offs are NOT MY FAVORITE things!!
25 REPLIES 25

prang74626
Explorer
Explorer

I have a 35' 5th Wheel w/ a short bed 2014 4dr 2014 Dodge diesel.  Total length is about 55'. Can I get from Flagstaff to Sedona on 89A or should I take 17 to 179? 

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
So back to the OP's original question. I've done this section, once each way (years apart). Other than elevation gain, there is nothing that I would consider dangerous. Are there some spots where you could go off a drop off? Sure, but not any more than any other road.

There is 2600 feet of elevation between Jacobs Lake and the flat section of the road around Vermillion Cliffs. In just over 13 miles.

I'm sure the section they are referring to is the last few miles where the switch backs are, before you get to the bottom. Check out Google street view to see what the switch backs look like.

Both my trips were in a 30 Foot class C.

dedmiston
Ppine. Please check your PMs for an important notice.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
PPINE. STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. YOU'VE CAUSED ENOUGH TROUBLE ALREADY. DON'T EMBARRASS YOURSELF OR AGITATE THE OP ANY FURTHER.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
We pulled a 24ft travel trailer from Williams to Cottonwood.Lot's of turns but was doable.Very pretty scenery.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
ppine, let it go...this whole thing was about 89A around Vermillion Cliffs - nothing to do with Flagstaff or Sedona. I don't ass-u-me anything, nor should you!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Several years ago a friend of ours bought some property in Sedona with the intention of building a house. He never did. We were traveling to the Grand Canyon without a towed vehicle (renting a car when we needed - not a good idea in retrospect) and he asked us to stop by and give him some ideas on the place. Rather than going back south to 17 and then north to Flagstaff the simple route appeared to be 89A. We were in a 36 foot DP w/o a towed. There were some switchbacks that had me nervous from the lack of rails or barriers. Problem was, no place to turn around had I wanted to.
All that said, it is doable but it is not any fun nor time to sight see.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
For the most part 89A skirts the Cliffs, and relatively flat (slow slope to Marble Canyon) and straight. The only curvy part is from Jacob Lake to House Rock Rd turnoff (which passes along the west side of the mesa to 89.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank y'all for your thoughts on 89A. Interesting. I should have made it clear that it was 89A around/through Vermillion Cliffs and not south of Flagstaff. We've traveled "Out West" (we are born and raised Florida flatlanders) many times and always try to find somewhere different. I should also mention we are 3/4 timers. 8 months we travel and return home to Florida for the winter, kind of like the snow birds but the opposite - we escape the summer heat. Anyone of you that have interesting places to go and see, we are open for suggestions. Thanks again!!

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google maps has most of the information that you need about drop offs, guard rails, shoulders etc. Start by looking the route in terrain mode. This will show where the road crosses flat open spaces, when it's in ravines and where it is winding down or up a cliff. Then there's sat view where you can judge shoulder widths. And finally streetview where you can count guardrail posts.

I can't find the drop offs that the directory warns about. On the descent to the east after the Grand Canyon park turn off there are sweeping curves with long views out toward, but no sharp drop offs. Not much of a shoulder; the road surface looks like it's been around for some time. There are some guard rails.

At the Colorado Rive crossing, Marble Canyon, there are 2 bridges, an new wide one, and a narrow pedestrian only one - the original. US89 through Page has wider shoulders, and may be preferable if you have a big rig, and don't need to see the North Rim.

Speaking of drop offs, US89 has a major rim climb just after the 89A split (east of the river). Several years ago that was closed by a major rock slide. We followed that closure, the detours and repairs on this forum.

US89A closer to Sedona is less-rv friendly, with tighter curves and drop offs. Again that's quite evident on the maps.

dedmiston
pigfarmer wrote:
PPines AMAZING!! After 27 years of driving different diesel rigs just what makes you think we need to learn how to drive western mountain roads etc.?!! I asked about what was meant by "DROP OFFS". Have you driven this route? Do you know if the drop offs have shoulders, do they have guard rails, are the drop offs in the switch backs? Don't be so quick to answer if this is not a personal experience that you can give truthful answers and not to just be noticed on RV Net.

I apologize for his ignorant remark. It's not his first.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Rule 13 if there is any doubt about the route don't take it. One cannot turn around halfway if you don't like it 😞
Being a coward I don't drive on anything that states SCENIC on the map.

That stretch of road is no issue. Take 89 if you would rather. I threw out my Mountain Directory as it tends to HIGHLY exaggerate many roads in the west. Just don`t take 89A from Flagstaff to Sedona. That is not for RVs.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
PPines AMAZING!! After 27 years of driving different diesel rigs just what makes you think we need to learn how to drive western mountain roads etc.?!! I asked about what was meant by "DROP OFFS". Have you driven this route? Do you know if the drop offs have shoulders, do they have guard rails, are the drop offs in the switch backs? Don't be so quick to answer if this is not a personal experience that you can give truthful answers and not to just be noticed on RV Net.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Rule 13 if there is any doubt about the route don't take it. One cannot turn around halfway if you don't like it 😞
Being a coward I don't drive on anything that states SCENIC on the map.

I wonder, courage and. driving skills are essentials for RVing and camping.

Specially out West, you'll never see the good sights, best campgrounds and scenic views without venturing through those switchbacks, drop offs and steep mountains and canyon roads.

Pacific Coast. (Highway1-PCH,I-101) from San Diego, CA, Oregon to Washington comes to mind.
So is Route 120 from Merced traversing Yosemite National Park and ending up in Lee Vining. with more than a hundred hairpin turns and into-eternity-and-beyond drop offs.

I have many close calls and white knuckle experiences but I would gladly take the risks than be homebound -- or be limited to flat grounds, lol.:E