cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

avoiding Chicago area traffic

Toolguy5
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be traveling West on I-80 in a few weeks. Looking for an alternate route right before Gary, Indiana on past I-57.

I was looking at Taking HWY 49 south before I get to Gary, IN. Pick up Hwy 30 west until I hit I-80 again aroun Joliet.
Has anyone traveled this route before.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013
13 REPLIES 13

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
US-30 doesn't work, it is mostly urban streets around the south side of the metro area. It is slow from I-65 to I-55, is more rural east and west of that segment. US-80/90 actually bypasses Chicago, but it is a bottleneck for coast to coast traffic (at some points carrying at least three Interstate routes on the same pavement).

If you want to get onto rural two-lane highways, you have to go down to US-24 to bypass the Chicago suburbs. Coming more from the southwest and headed toward Detroit, I use that route often, US-24 from I-57 to I-69. But it is a lot slower than the Interstate, almost an extra three hours Springfield to Battle Creek, compared to taking I-57 to I-80, then I-80 to I-69 or I-94 around the edge of Lake Michigan. When I'm in a hurry, I-80. When I plan to make stops in Champaign, Peru, Elkhart or Angola, and don't care that it means an extra day, US-24.

Joliet is part of the suburban traffic mess on US-30. It is now sort of the southern edge of Chicago suburbs, because Interstate 55 makes for a shorter commute than it was 60 years ago.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going west of the Quad Cities area, take 280 instead of 80. There is construction on 80 but 280 is clear. It's also a lot smoother than 80.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Toolguy5 wrote:
We will be traveling West on I-80 in a few weeks. Looking for an alternate route right before Gary, Indiana on past I-57.

I was looking at Taking HWY 49 south before I get to Gary, IN. Pick up Hwy 30 west until I hit I-80 again aroun Joliet.
Has anyone traveled this route before.

:h
Why bother!

I80 is south of the greater Chicagoland area, yes it will have traffic, but time you passage for midday.
I don't understand taking a big detour to avoid some traffic. You will likely find traffic along your alternate as well.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

alaska315
Explorer
Explorer
There is one toll on I-80 just west of the 80/94 split and just prior to the 294/80 split.It's a couple bucks and right back on 80.

If you love traffic lights,go 30.I have and won't again.

Ever since they completed all the road upgrades on 80 going thru Gary and the southside,it's pretty much a breeze going thru there unless it's rush hour.

I try to go thru late at night or very,very early ( like 3am ) in the morning.

Stay on 80

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
X2, 3 or 4

Stay on I-80.
US -30 is a pretty nice divided 4 lane highway UNTIL you get to the very area that you want to take. Then, as others said, it goes through a whole string of suburbs with business district upon business district with stop light intersections that are bound to catch you at every corner. We've done this once and would NOT do it again.
and 5

US-30. Been there, done that. Won't do it again! Stay on I-80. We travel it twice a year when heading to SD and back. Traffic between Gary,Indiana and the Chicago area can get heavy, but it's manageable.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
No, there are no useful alternatives. The busiest stretch is usually only a few miles, from I-65 to the I-80 break from I-294 in IL. It's not fun, but there are a lot of worse stretches in cities in the US.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
US 30 through the south suburbs is not the way to go. Lots of stop and go on the IL side. Was on I 80 from Gary west to Joliet just a few months ago. Just avod rush hour and watch for the idiots. Much less hassle than driving on US 30.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2, 3 or 4

Stay on I-80.
US -30 is a pretty nice divided 4 lane highway UNTIL you get to the very area that you want to take. Then, as others said, it goes through a whole string of suburbs with business district upon business district with stop light intersections that are bound to catch you at every corner. We've done this once and would NOT do it again.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
As most have said, don't bother with alternates. 80 isn't that bad (nowhere near as bad as 90 and 94, which go through the city itself). Try to avoid rush hour (6-10 AM, 3-7 PM) if you can; rush hour will be just as bad on all the non-interstates as well.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

robbiesgram
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on I80. It's not a toll road, just try to hit it before or after rush hour. I drove it last year and it was in pretty decent condition.

US 30 is pretty slow once you get close to the IN/IL border, it's pretty much stop & go every block city traffic until you get well past Chicago. Plus the last time I was on it, several years ago it was god awful rough, lots of potholes that hadn't been repaired in years.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
long time ago we took that rt took rt 30 all they across no problem, anything is better than going even close to the big city, I one time changed a boat trailer tire in the middle of the road trafic backed up ,theres all ways construction.

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
It'll probably take you longer with a lot of stop and go and traffic lights. As long as you don't hit it at rush hour,won't be bad.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
What are you trying to accomplish? Us30 is a slow ride. I recommend i94 to i80 and be on your way. And yes, I do drive those roads.