cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Barstow to Lodgepole in Sequoia NP

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Is 198 through Three Rivers an acceptable route? We are pulling a 21' TT with our F150. We have reservations at Shady Lane RV in Barstow CA. Then heading to Lodgepole campground in Sequoia NP. These reservations are already made and we don't plan on changing them. Going north on 198 it's 250 miles. It looks like lots of switchbacks and steep turns. But the alternative looks like it is a lot further to go north then in from the west. All comments are appreciated.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff
22 REPLIES 22

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
THRIVERSIDE, if you decide on going Hwy 180 do not go up to Fresno to pick it up. Exit Hwy 99 at Hwy 198 to Visalia then exit Hwy 63 North in Visalia and follow it to Hwy 180. It will save you some time.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
F-Troup, I am glad to hear that you also think that the road became narrower, not wider, after all of that construction. They put in these decorative rock walls instead of guard rails on 198, and it feels to me like the walls are crowding the pavement more than they used to.

Oh, well, the walls do look a lot nicer, anyway.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
Do not take a trailer on 198.

Go north to 180 and then south through the park to Lodgepole.

It is not hard -- just a little longer.

+1

We did sequoia last summer. I would not recommend a trailer on 198 south entrance the park has restrictions for a reason. Take the 180 in to lodgepole You will be wiped but it is a great time up at lodge pole campground you should have a blast. Get your tickets now for the cave tour it books out.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
It was before they started all the road construction, none the less it is "not recommended" not prohibited Vehicle Length Limits & Advisories - National Park Service
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/vehicle-restrictions.htm
Vehicles longer than 22 feet (6.7 m) are not advised between Potwisha Campground and the Giant Forest Museum in Sequoia National Park. Vehicles longer than 24 feet (7.3 m) are not advised between the Foothills Visitor Center and Potwisha Campground in Sequoia National Park.

So what your telling me after millions of tax payer dollars, they re-did a road that will not acommodate a F250 long bed pickup. My F250 short bed is 20' bumper to bumper can barely make it, humm. Now with my 34' pulling the rhino on a utlity traile on the back (64') I go up 180 to Big Meadows.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
F-Troup, you took 198 from Visalia to Lodgepole with a 28 footer? Was that in the days before they put in the 22 foot limit? The ranger told me that this was a total length limit -- tow vehicle plus trailer had to be less than 22. (Which is basically impossible, unless you are towing a T@b with a motorcycle.)
About our trailer

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not sure if OP is taking this trip now, but I hope to get an update on this trip!

It's very cold there right now.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer will be no problem on 198, you'll have more trouble in the campgrounds. I've gone up and down many a time when we had a 28' 5th wheel.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
this was last November on the generals hwy. Most of the road is like this until you hit the hairpin turns. Our rigs were tight at 23' not a place for long vehicles

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Not advised and not legal are two different things.
Last time I drove that I was pulling a pop up and did not seem like a big deal.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
We were there last year and that entrance road was barely able to handle my 3/4-ton truck on some of the hairpins, even without the trailer. Going in through Kings Canyon NP is a much longer, but easier road. We stayed in Tehachapi the night before we got there, so had a shorter drive than you will.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

JT
Explorer
Explorer
"Do not take a trailer on 198.

Go north to 180 and then south through the park to Lodgepole."
----
Follow this good advice! ๐Ÿ™‚

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:

I was looking at that route. Looks easier. Probably not much time difference. Thanks
Jeff

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II

About our trailer

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Found this on the Sequoia wed site. This just added to my confusion. Now it looks like there is a permanent restriction on a section of 198. I believe that this is the southern entrance to Giant Forest.
That would be a show stopper for my plans.

Generals Highway
The section of the Generals Highway leading from the Sequoia park entrance to the Giant Forest sequoia grove was built in the early 1920s and connot accommodate longer vehicles.

Vehicles longer than 22 feet (6.7 m) are not advised between Potwisha Campground and the Giant Forest Museum in Sequoia National Park.
Vehicles longer than 24 feet (7.3 m) are not advised between the Foothills Visitor Center and Potwisha Campground in Sequoia National Park.
Jeff